Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Players are required to not bad-mouth teammates. But, after the season we have learned the REAL opinions of the players about all these QBs. Derek Wolfe in particular has been on talk radio arguing in favor of Kirk Cousins and saying that if they just draft a rookie QB and start that guy, it means another 2 years of the "same stuff" and he talked about turnovers, and the failed offense. He sounded really angry about it.

The defenders feel like they are doing their jobs but the team has no chance of winning because the QBs keep turning the ball over, and the idiots in charge kept putting Isiah McKenzie out there to fumble over and over again.

The veterans on the defense are fed up with the crap of having to handle all the load for a garbage offense and want an elite veteran QB who won't put them in a bad position and will be able to help them win games, and not turn the ball over.

They absolutely don't want a rookie draft pick like Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, although they will all say the politically correct things if that's what Elway does in the draft.
    An elite veteran QB? Well why didn’t they say something sooner?

Let’s just go get an elite veteran QB, problem solved.

And people think players shouldn’t have a say in personnel decisions, this is the best idea I’ve heard yet.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Klis laid out 3 potential scenarios:

Option A: Kirk Cousins, Paxton Lynch and best non-QB position player with the No. 5 overall draft pick.

The Broncos are coming off a 5-11 season. If they want to make a one-year improvement to 10-6, Cousins is their guy. If they have a realistic plan to play in one Super Bowl within the next three years, Cousins would give them their best chance.

Cousins would start, Lynch would be the backup for a third year, Chad Kelly becomes the young developmental quarterback and the Broncos can then either trade up a couple spots for Penn State running back Saquon Barkley, sit tight and take Notre Dame guard Quenton Nelson, or trade back in the first round and get an extra high-round selection.

Option B: Case Keenum or Tyrod Taylor and maybe take a QB with No. 5 pick, maybe not.

Keenum can be had for about $10 million less than Cousins. Which would give the Broncos less restrictions in attempting to strengthen the rest of their roster.

Keenum is a better-than-average quarterback who doesn’t have great arm strength, but can make plays with his legs and throw on the run. And he’s smart.

Remember, there was a time when no one believed in Keenum more than Broncos’ personnel consultant Gary Kubiak.

Taylor intrigues the Broncos because he’s careful with the ball – only 4 interceptions in 420 pass attempts last season. And he only lost two fumbles despite getting sacked 46 times and rushing the ball 84 times. The Broncos’ brass believes turnovers was their primary culprit last season.

Taylor’s skill set also matches up well with backup Lynch so offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave can set up his system without making major adjustments from one quarterback to the next.

As of now, the Bills are hanging on to Taylor, who has one year and $16 million left on his contract. The Broncos probably would have to swing a trade to get him but they have four extra draft picks to barter with – two in the third round, two in the fourth, two in the fifth and another undisclosed pick with late-round value coming their way from the Los Angeles Rams in return for Talib.

Neither Keenum nor Taylor would preclude the Broncos from taking one of the Big Four quarterbacks – Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield – with their No. 5 draft pick. But Keenum and Lynch or Taylor and Lynch might.

Option C: Josh McCown or Teddy Bridgewater and QB with No. 5 draft pick.

The Broncos do not appear to be in on AJ McCarron and there are concerns about Sam Bradford’s knee.

McCown or Bridgewater would be one-year bridge starters. McCown will be 39 on the Fourth of July but he’s played his best football since he turned 34. Bridgewater is hoping for a one-year, make good contract after a knee injury essentially sidelined him the previous two seasons.

In this scenario, there is no way Elway can pass on taking a quarterback with the No. 5 pick. He likes each of the Big Four guys.

The Broncos are drafting in the top 5 for only the only fifth time in their 59-draft history. This is one of the strongest quarterback drafts in years. Why not take the best one and get the heck out of the top 5 for years to come?
    http://www.9news.com/article/sports/...k/73-527312823

4. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I think the newsworthy items in there are that we are not in on AJM or Sam Bradford... But we could potentially be in on Josh McCown or Teddy Bridgewater. I think we already knew that we could have some interest in Keenum and Cousins.

Option C, please. Bridgewater on a prove it deal would be great while our rookie learns. As with Buff, I’m fine with McCown too

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Browns give up a 3 for Taylor....
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Want: option A.

Fine with: option C.

Kill me: option B.
    I’m the hobbit.

10. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Browns give up a 3 for Taylor....
    We were apparently interested in trading for Taylor but didn’t go as high as a third

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    We were apparently interested in trading for Taylor but didn’t go as high as a third
    I think we are gonna move around in the draft. 11 picks is nice ammo.
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

so, we want one of the available free agent QBs, and we may or may not draft a QB at #5?

thank god we have klis to clarify these things for us!

14. The Following 8 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

So, we made an offer for Taylor... let’s see, Kubiak. Keenum will be next because... Kubiak. I have little doubt we end up with Case ******* Keenum because he’s a “Kubiak guy” and he’ll convince JFE that he’s great... like he did with Siemian.

Don’t worry, though. I’m sure Keenum will mean that we won’t have need for a franchise QB at 5. Keenum, Lynch’s 3rd chance, and Swiggy. Sounds awesome for the future. But hey, maybe we’ll draft a Guard with #5 overall.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

16. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Kubes is my man.

Do you guys remember when we won SB 50?
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

18. The Following 5 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

If the Broncos were interested in getting Taylor that means to me that they want a rookie QB in the draft. You don't trade for him if you are getting Cousins.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Kubes is my man.

Do you guys remember when we won SB 50?
    Oh, I remember. I also remember having the 16th and 27th ranked offense the two years he coached and watching Wade and the defense win all our games for us while the offense struggled to score 17 points per game.

I love Kubiak the man and what he’s done for this franchise, but he’s far from some special QB talent evaluator and whisperer. Having him back in charge of QB personnel evaluations kinda scares me. I can honestly see him thinking that Keenum is a better choice than any of the rookies in this class (which even a moron knows is dead wrong) because he “fits” the Kubiak and by default Musgrave West Coast system best.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

21. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    so, we want one of the available free agent QBs, and we may or may not draft a QB at #5?

thank god we have klis to clarify these things for us!

He seems to have lost his fastball - but I think you can read between the lines and still come away with some insights. I believe him when he says we aren't in on AJM and Bradford, but we are in on the other 4 guys he mentioned there and could end up with any of them based on how free agency goes... It sounds like our preference is:

1.) Cousins
    2.) Keenum
    3.) Bridgewater/McCown

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    An elite veteran QB? Well why didn’t they say something sooner?

Let’s just go get an elite veteran QB, problem solved.

And people think players shouldn’t have a say in personnel decisions, this is the best idea I’ve heard yet.
    Oh, Elway is not going to do anything just because the players want it. But, the difference between a SB winning team and a 5-11 team is not just the names on the back of the jerseys. To win a championship, all the players have to buy in. They have to give up selfish personal goals and play for each other and for the team.

And that requires trust. What happens to losing football teams, and teams where management screws the players and they resent it? The players may not say anything, but they are privately telling their agents "Get me the hell out of here! Work a deal, do anything, but I need to leave this team!"

In Denver the question doesn't really arise because Elway agrees with the players. HE wants a championship run NOW, and not 2 or 3 years from now.

He might not be able to get a veteran QB who can take the Broncos to the SB, but that is his goal and he's going to try his hardest to get either Cousins or Keenum to be the starter next year. He wants to win now. His five year deal is ticking and he's not going to be around here forever.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information