Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: CFB Playoff likely to announce expansion.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller
    Posts
    48,196

    Default CFB Playoff likely to announce expansion.




    I love pretty much everything about this.

    - This gives basically every deserving team a shot. Any at large team in a stacked division will get in, and guarantees a group of 5 spot.

    -Being in the top 4 still matters, as it gives you a crucial bye week. So that alleviates the "regular season won't matter now" concern.

    -This will lead to more competitive semifinals. We seem to have a lot of bad semifinal games because they almost never actually pick the 4 best teams, they pick the 4 best resumes. Now, the teams that are playing their best football at the end of year will advance and schools that usually have pretty fraudulent records and get blown out in the semis like Oklahoma or Notre Dame might not make it that far.

    -SO many more games will matter. As it stands, pretty much any game played by a team outside the top 6 or 7 really holds little to no significance in the playoff picture. Now? A game in the last week by two teams ranked just outside the top 10 could be massive for those last at large spots. So many more teams will still have something to play for down the stretch.

    I've always thought it would expand to 8 or 16, but 12 really is kinda brilliant and this proposed system would really solve so many issues with both the current system and proposed expansion. Can't wait for this to be live.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  3. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post



    I love pretty much everything about this.

    - This gives basically every deserving team a shot. Any at large team in a stacked division will get in, and guarantees a group of 5 spot.

    -Being in the top 4 still matters, as it gives you a crucial bye week. So that alleviates the "regular season won't matter now" concern.

    -This will lead to more competitive semifinals. We seem to have a lot of bad semifinal games because they almost never actually pick the 4 best teams, they pick the 4 best resumes. Now, the teams that are playing their best football at the end of year will advance and schools that usually have pretty fraudulent records and get blown out in the semis like Oklahoma or Notre Dame might not make it that far.

    -SO many more games will matter. As it stands, pretty much any game played by a team outside the top 6 or 7 really holds little to no significance in the playoff picture. Now? A game in the last week by two teams ranked just outside the top 10 could be massive for those last at large spots. So many more teams will still have something to play for down the stretch.

    I've always thought it would expand to 8 or 16, but 12 really is kinda brilliant and this proposed system would really solve so many issues with both the current system and proposed expansion. Can't wait for this to be live.
    This is so awesome! I'm glad that they did not gut the regular season/it's meaning! That was always a concern to me!
    I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can't help but wonder how they'd have operated these times - Sheriff Bell.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller
    Posts
    48,196

    Default

    I also love the wrinkle of "6 highest ranked league champs" get auto bids. This is significantly different than "Power 5 all get auto bids plus one G5". This doesn't actually guarantee a power 5 champ a spot. If two G5 teams win their conference and finish ranked higher than, say, the Pac 12 champ, the two G5 teams get the auto bids. This actually would have come into play this last year, as Costal and Cincy were both ahead of Pac 12 champ Oregon in the last poll. So this guards against the worry of some 7-5 team from a weak division getting into their conference title game and getting an auto bid if they win. This is another thing that keeps the regular season relevant.

    They really, really thought this out.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  5. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  6. #4

    Default

    The beating will be glorious
    I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can't help but wonder how they'd have operated these times - Sheriff Bell.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George
    Posts
    28,261

    Default

    Long overdue, but welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    We have lost NTL forever to the elitist crowd. Big green egg, home brew, hot latina wife, ...

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen
    Posts
    96,972

    Default

    This is incredible. All the “but the regular season” people are out in force today on the internet. Don’t listen to them. This makes more games for more teams more important during the regular season. This makes the regular season better, not worse.

    For example, you’re Oregon. You’ve already got a non con loss to an SEC team and a loss at USC. Your games meant nothing before. They still mean everything now. So awesome.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

  9. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen
    Posts
    96,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I also love the wrinkle of "6 highest ranked league champs" get auto bids. This is significantly different than "Power 5 all get auto bids plus one G5". This doesn't actually guarantee a power 5 champ a spot. If two G5 teams win their conference and finish ranked higher than, say, the Pac 12 champ, the two G5 teams get the auto bids. This actually would have come into play this last year, as Costal and Cincy were both ahead of Pac 12 champ Oregon in the last poll. So this guards against the worry of some 7-5 team from a weak division getting into their conference title game and getting an auto bid if they win. This is another thing that keeps the regular season relevant.

    They really, really thought this out.
    While at the same time not making the games a 7-5 team plays meaningless throughout, though, because theyíre battling Cincinnati for that spot. There will be years a 7-5 team gets in, theyíll just be the 12 seed, but they deserve to be there, because they won a conference.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller
    Posts
    48,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This is incredible. All the “but the regular season” people are out in force today on the internet. Don’t listen to them. This makes more games for more teams more important during the regular season. This makes the regular season better, not worse.

    For example, you’re Oregon. You’ve already got a non con loss to an SEC team and a loss at USC. Your games meant nothing before. They still mean everything now. So awesome.
    They also set this up perfectly for the seeding to really matter, still making games important for those who know they are getting in. 1-4 get the byes, and 5-8 get first round home games. So getting into those groups of 4 will be massive. I really hope it passes like it's been laid out in these reports, because they really nailed this system.

    They answered literally every concern you could think of for an expanded playoff giving regular season less meaning.

    And another plus, I bet we see teams beef up their non conference schedule now, because one or two losses won't end your season, and that stronger schedule could make the difference in your seed.

    I pray they approve this and I can't wait to see it in action.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:


  13. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This is incredible. All the “but the regular season” people are out in force today on the internet. Don’t listen to them. This makes more games for more teams more important during the regular season. This makes the regular season better, not worse.

    For example, you’re Oregon. You’ve already got a non con loss to an SEC team and a loss at USC. Your games meant nothing before. They still mean everything now. So awesome.
    This post exudes GOATish Behavior!
    I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can't help but wonder how they'd have operated these times - Sheriff Bell.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller
    Posts
    48,196

    Default

    They are basically telling Notre Dame to get their ass in a conference.

    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

  15. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    They are basically telling Notre Dame to get their ass in a conference.

    I have an issue with this - ND's autonomy has served them well and proven to be profitable. It feels harsh to basically take away a potential bye from them.
    I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can't help but wonder how they'd have operated these times - Sheriff Bell.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay
    Posts
    10,029

    Default

    So, does this mean that if Wyoming from the Mountain West Conference goes undefeated that they would an at large bid?
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay
    Posts
    10,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I have an issue with this - ND's autonomy has served them well and proven to be profitable. It feels harsh to basically take away a potential bye from them.
    Wyoming will never be eligible for a bye, so spare me your crocodile tears.
    Iím an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Aspergerís, feel free to ask. Iím not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

    https://aacphoenix.com/

  18. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Wyoming will never be eligible for a bye, so spare me your crocodile tears.
    Has Wyoming positioned themselves to be in the same situation as ND?

    No, clearly not
    I always liked to hear about the old-timers. Never missed a chance to do so. You can't help but compare yourself against the old-timers. Can't help but wonder how they'd have operated these times - Sheriff Bell.

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Burlintgon, VT
    Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller
    Posts
    48,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    So, does this mean that if Wyoming from the Mountain West Conference goes undefeated that they would an at large bid?
    They'd probably get one of the 6 auto bids unless another non-P5 team went undefeated. But I'd imagine if that happened they'd still be in pretty good shape for an at-large.
    www.twitter.com/carnold744

    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I must not be that intelligent
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wave you a skinny douchebag fag queer boy punk ass little shit

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jerry Jones wants playoff expansion
    By MOtorboat in forum Other NFL Team Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group