Poll: What position broncos picking in the first round

Page 43 of 94 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 645 of 1404

Thread: 2021 Broncos Draft Thread: 04/29/21-05/01/21

  1. #631
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    78,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I still think people are nitpicking the hell out of Fields and he's gonna make a lot of people look stupid when he actually sees the field. I suppose we'll see!
    If thats the case than every team that took a Qb this year and passed will look stupid. But, im pretty confident in my own observation's and those that are in the know about Fields with his pro's and con's to feel confident we did the right thing. And if Lock flames out there is always next year. The one good thing about football is there is a never ending flux of players coming in every year. Its not the end of the world one way or the other.

    I mean shit, Denver could never go back to a SB and i would still be fine with it. I got a chance to see the team play in 7 SB's and win 3 of them so im actually quite content at this stage in my life. Not many sports fans of other teams can say that.

  2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:


  3. #632
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams
    Posts
    28,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Sure and sometimes teams get it right but you still dont "logically" take the 4th and 5th best option if you dont feel its an immediate upgrade to what you already have.
    Eh. This is too far. The new QB can have a year before he starts--not be an immediate upgrade--and be the right decision.

    It all comes down to how well they did their homework on the guys they passed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Harris View Post
    "If you go out and you ball, the Broncos will take care of you."

  4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  5. #633
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz
    Posts
    39,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Yes...we need improvement from the QB position to make our defense more relevant, but let's just imagine that Lock grows even a little bit and gives us a season with 25-30 TD's and 3,500 yards to go with a top 5 defense. That gets it done. I'd much rather have a strategy to beat the likes of Mahomes by scores of 30-27 than by scores of 48-45.
    What you're describing is an above average QB - 10-15th ranked passer in the NFL. Which, in theory, is an attainable goal - and it's what the Broncos are betting on... But it's going to take more than a little bit of growth from Lock -- I'm skeptical.

    Also, I don't think you can argue that we just need average play from Lock -- but that a rookie couldn't have been a winner this year... Fields probably has a similar floor to Lock on Day 1 because he at least gives you a dual threat. Neither of them can read defenses as of now. I just don't see think there's that wide of a gap -- but that might support your argument for sticking with the status quo if the other guy isn't going to come in and be a clear upgrade. I see both sides.

  6. #634
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    78,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What you're describing is an above average QB - 10-15th ranked passer in the NFL. Which, in theory, is an attainable goal - and it's what the Broncos are betting on... But it's going to take more than a little bit of growth from Lock -- I'm skeptical.

    Also, I don't think you can argue that we just need average play from Lock -- but that a rookie couldn't have been a winner this year... Fields probably has a similar floor to Lock on Day 1 because he at least gives you a dual threat. Neither of them can read defenses as of now. I just don't see think there's that wide of a gap -- but that might support your argument for sticking with the status quo if the other guy isn't going to come in and be a clear upgrade. I see both sides.
    And thats my argument.

    Unless you have a definitive upgrade there is no reason to risk drafting a guy like Fields on day 1. The Bears are desperate and thats never a good sign when going into the draft. Denver played it right, make smart choices and dont panic. If Fields had dropped to the 3rd round than great, take a chance on him. But not at 9.

  7. #635
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz
    Posts
    39,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    And thats my argument.

    Unless you have a definitive upgrade there is no reason to risk drafting a guy like Fields on day 1. The Bears are desperate and thats never a good sign when going into the draft. Denver played it right, make smart choices and dont panic. If Fields had dropped to the 3rd round than great, take a chance on him. But not at 9.
    My argument is that Lock is mediocre. An INT machine who has lost the locker room and is one thorough bed shitting away from losing his job forever... So give me the potential upside of the other guy even if it's not a sure bet - you won't find that upside in the 3rd round. But I do understand the flipside of this, if you bring in a 1st rounder and he's not the guy, then you lose even more credibility and time as an organization. Which is why it's a gamble, and why most teams take the safe route.

  8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:


  9. #636
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel
    Posts
    78,757

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    My argument is that Lock is mediocre. An INT machine who has lost the locker room and is one thorough bed shitting away from losing his job forever... So give me the potential upside of the other guy even if it's not a sure bet - you won't find that upside in the 3rd round. But I do understand the flipside of this, if you bring in a 1st rounder and he's not the guy, then you lose even more credibility and time as an organization. Which is why it's a gamble, and why most teams take the safe route.
    And thats the key, the percentage of QB's that actually make it is extremely low.

  10. #637
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    26,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What you're describing is an above average QB - 10-15th ranked passer in the NFL. Which, in theory, is an attainable goal - and it's what the Broncos are betting on... But it's going to take more than a little bit of growth from Lock -- I'm skeptical.

    Also, I don't think you can argue that we just need average play from Lock -- but that a rookie couldn't have been a winner this year... Fields probably has a similar floor to Lock on Day 1 because he at least gives you a dual threat. Neither of them can read defenses as of now. I just don't see think there's that wide of a gap -- but that might support your argument for sticking with the status quo if the other guy isn't going to come in and be a clear upgrade. I see both sides.
    I guess my argument is I like the improvements I saw from Lock as the season wore on. His mechanics were better...his production was better...his recognition was better...yeah, there are still some growing pains and I expect some of that from a gunslinger. I just don't know that a rookie comes in an immediately improves upon what I think Lock can be this season. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears the coaching staff is on a similar page.

  11. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


  12. #638
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    45,942

    Default Why adding Pat Surtain II was 'a home run for the Broncos'

    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. —As the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft progressed on Thursday night, the board fell about how General Manager George Paton and the Broncos expected.

    Three quarterbacks came off the board within the first three picks, and the Falcons and Bengals followed by selecting Kyle Pitts and Ja'Marr Chase, respectively. The Dolphins snagged Jaylen Waddle at No. 6, and the Lions selected Penei Sewell with the seventh pick. And despite the plethora of rumors about the Panthers trading back, Carolina stayed at No. 8 and selected cornerback Jaycee Horn.

    Somewhere in those first eight picks, though, a team made a pick the Broncos didn't quite expect. Because while Paton said Thursday night that draft progressed largely as expected, they didn't think cornerback Pat Surtain II would make it all the way to No. 9.
    rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/w...or-the-broncos

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:


  14. #639
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    11,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I still think people are nitpicking the hell out of Fields and he's gonna make a lot of people look stupid when he actually sees the field. I suppose we'll see!
    That Clemson game sold me. He's going to be good.

  15. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:


  16. #640
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    26,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    That Clemson game sold me. He's going to be good.
    What about the 2019 Clemson game? Before most of Clemson's defense went to the NFL?

  17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


  18. #641
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    26,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    That Clemson game sold me. He's going to be good.
    What about the 2019 Clemson game? Before most of Clemson's defense went to the NFL?

  19. #642
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    45,942

    Default Mile High Morning: NFL analysts, Broncos players react to Broncos' selection of Pat Surtain II

    The Lead

    After months of breathless speculation, the Broncos have their first pick, cornerback Pat Surtain II.

    As NFL experts noted, the Broncos got perhaps the best defensive player in the draft.

    "Surtain is my favorite corner in the draft," NFL.com's Chad Reuter wrote. "He simply stops passes from reaching their intended targets. He is a strong press corner, and his ability to play the ball in the air is special. The Broncos invested in cornerbacks Ronald Darby and Kyle Fuller in free agency, but that didn't prevent them from making this pick. Don't overlook the fact that teams need four solid corners nowadays, especially given the potential for injuries at the position."

    In analyzing each first-round pick, former NFL cornerback Bucky Brooks said he liked what he saw from Surtain during his time at Alabama.
    rest - https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/m...lection-of-pat

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  20. #643
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe
    Posts
    7,550

    Default

    I'm been watching Simmons and Von play Call of Duty this week. They have both said that Drew is their guy. He has the locker room. They are not just saying it to tow the line. Neither had a issue with Teddy because they know the team need a reliable backup.

    Last year was a bad year for Drew and he knows that better than anyone. So with a closer to normal off season. Courtland coming back. Hopefully Fant will be healthy again. I hoping that the O line can gel so we get to see who the real Drew is.

    Vic managed to keep the locker room together last year and it had every reason to go nuclear. Paton seemed to be able to install we take care of our own and we are a family type of energy so far. IMO if you bring in someone that is not a upgrade and can't help you by the time the season starts it tells the team, yes we believe in you but the puppy was just too cute to not get. They know that the crowds will have very little patience with Drew if they have a shiny new maybe in the wings.

    In fact what this tells me is hey we could of gotten Fields, he was right there but this is your team Drew, take the reigns and be the guy. Drew the person has been put through the ringer this off season. I'm hoping that it lights a fire under Drew the player. Drew will have another year working with Shurmur and I think that can only help.
    Getting Stoked



    Thank you Medford for the great signature!

  21. The Following 8 Users High Fived pnbronco For This Post:


  22. #644
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen
    Posts
    97,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    This reminds me of the Bradley Chubb pick. Yes, he fell and the Broncos took advantage of a steal by getting one of the two best defensive prospects in the draft, maybe the best (Parsons looks like a stud, but obviously I think the off field issues made him drop). Chubb was the best defensive prospect in that draft, and he fell and Denver made a great pick. But 6-10, 7-9, 5-11 later it really hasn’t moved the franchise forward because no matter how many good to great defenders you have, QB just matters. Josh Allen went two picks later, 6-10, 10-6, 13-3. I get it, the pick could’ve been Josh Rosen and Denver probably goes worse than 7-9, 5-11 the last two years, but my point is at some point you need to try that instead of sitting around 5-12 in the draft and letting everyone else gamble and you take the highest prospect on the board because he fell.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

  23. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:


  24. #645
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Elm, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    #58
    Posts
    26,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This reminds me of the Bradley Chubb pick. Yes, he fell and the Broncos took advantage of a steal by getting one of the two best defensive prospects in the draft, maybe the best (Parsons looks like a stud, but obviously I think the off field issues made him drop). Chubb was the best defensive prospect in that draft, and he fell and Denver made a great pick. But 6-10, 7-9, 5-11 later it really hasn’t moved the franchise forward because no matter how many good to great defenders you have, QB just matters. Josh Allen went two picks later, 6-10, 10-6, 13-3. I get it, the pick could’ve been Josh Rosen and Denver probably goes worse than 7-9, 5-11 the last two years, but my point is at some point you need to try that instead of sitting around 5-12 in the draft and letting everyone else gamble and you take the highest prospect on the board because he fell.
    Could the improvement that Buffalo has seen have anything to do with allowing Josh Allen time to develop, while adding better pieces around him? Maybe coaching him up longer than 18 games...getting him a receiver like Diggs...crazy things like that?

    Josh Allen through his first 18 games was 10-8 with 17 TD's and 19 INT's...Drew Lock is 8-10 with 23 TD's and 18 INT's. How is it that Buffalo and their fans could be so patient with first round talent and Broncos fans can't come close to that patience with 2nd round talent?

    The expectations that we have put on Lock just baffle me...especially considering the chaos and turmoil over the past 18 months. So why in hell should I or anyone else believe that we'd have any kind of patience with Fields if he put up the same numbers as Allen or Lock after 18 games? And if we did, why would he get that much patience, but Lock doesn't.

  25. The Following 7 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:


Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2021 Draft Thread
    By MOtorboat in forum Draft and Free Agency
    Replies: 1192
    Last Post: 06-03-2021, 06:18 PM
  2. Assassin's 2021 Mock Draft
    By SmilinAssasSin27 in forum Draft and Free Agency
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-01-2021, 02:27 PM
  3. 2020-2021 College Basketball Thread
    By Northman in forum High School and College
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2021, 09:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group