Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A Texans fans point of veiw...

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Default A Texans fans point of veiw...

Texans will run the ball well, Denver…not so much.
    Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan is a made man. Of course, back-to-back Super Bowl wins with a team generally lends itself to a bit of job security. But how much longer will it hold up? After finishing last season with his first losing record in the past 9 years, should Denver’s ball coach really be worried?

Maybe.

Before you Denver fans grab the pitch-forks and come flood my post with excuses about last season, save your breath. I know. Cutler was sick (and I feel for the dude, seriously). Your running back went Ricky Williams on you. I know all this.

I pose the theory that Shanahan could someday find himself in the hotseat based on the fact that he’s continuing to implement an offensive gameplan that, well, he’s obviously not that good at running.

Let’s face it: the days of the mighty Denver rushing attack could be over.

Since Gary Kubiak left for Houston in 2005, the team’s rushing attack has steadily declined. The Broncos failed to gain over 2000 rushing yards last year for the first time since 2001, . This year they begin the season with second-year man Selvin Young starting and Andre Hall as his backup (at the moment; it isShanahan’s depth chart we’re talking about now). I watched Selvin last year and throughout college, and I’m just not buying into him being the next Clinton Portis. Take that into consideration and you could very well see another down turn in rushing production from the Broncos this season. Thanks to the NCES’ Kids Zone’s nifty graph creator, we can get a visual of the drop off in the Bronco’s rushing attack.

Meanwhile, the Houston Texans look poised for a breakout year on the ground. Kubiak has once again stocked up on running backs just as he used to in Denver, and all signs point to at least one of them making a huge impact on the ground for the Texans.

I’m a homer, I’ll admit. Skepticism is understandable when I say things like that, but the Texans are deeper than ever before in the backfield (injuries permitting), and they’ll be running behind the best offensive line the Texans have ever put on a field, hands down. And then there’s that Gibbs guy. I’ve heard good things.

Now I’m not saying that Denver is going to be terrible next season. You’ve got a re-energized young stud at QB with Cutler. You’ve got an extremely talented WR with Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler was a nice surprise as well. They have the tools to continue to produce on offense, but it’s evolved into a more pass-emphasized style. The line isn’t what it once was, and the talent in the backfield leaves something to be desired. I just don’t see the rushing attack returning to form any time soon.

This is a bold statement, considering that Denver has the opportunity to make me look stupid Saturday night when they take on the Texans. It’ll be interesting to see if Denver’s once vaunted rushing attack comes from the sideline opposite their own. If that turns out to be the case, Shanahan had better stop playing musical runningbacks or he could be playing his own game: musical coaching positions.*

*Speculation. Everyone knows Shanahan will never be run out of Denver. He will coach there until he dies, and then his body will be entombed like Vladimir Lenin in the foyer of Mile High Stadium.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Skinny For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Andrew Luck

The Texans leading rusher last year was Ron Dayne with 773 yards. Their #2 runner was an undrafted rookie from ND. I would hardly consider either "the next Clinton Portis"...or any other guy on their roster for that matter...and they did not amass more than the writer's coveted 2000 yards as a team mark.

33 Mike Bell
    22 Chris Brown
    30 Ahman Green
    20 Steve Slaton
    27 Chris Taylor
    37 Darius Walker

I feel more confident in our RB depth than I would were I a Texan fan. Of course I would feel even more confident were Gibbs and Kubes both on our sideline, but I wouldn't write off Denver's running game for that reason alone.

The guy mentions Cutler and Henry from last year, but the main thing that contributed to our running game last year was our OL injuries and inconsistancies. We should be much better in that respect this season.

Not to mention most of last year (and the year before) we were playing from behind in the second half and had to throw more (because our defense was terrible). I look forward to watching our rushing offense this year. So far our guys have looked outstanding in camp.

I am still confident we could plug almost any guy on the roster in at tailback and have him run for 1000+ yards.

And if we do end up being that bad, we just draft Moreno next year

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived LRtagger For This Post:

As someone who lives in Houston, I can tell you that Denver's running back situation is better than the Texans'. That's less a compliment to Denver as it is a lack of confidence in Houston's roster.

Quote Originally Posted by PatricktheDookie View Post
    As someone who lives in Houston, I can tell you that Denver's running back situation is better than the Texans'. That's less a compliment to Denver as it is a lack of confidence in Houston's roster.
    Well, the guy did admit to being a homer.

7. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

I like that.

Pass oriented offense.

I wouldn't mind Denver throwing the ball 35+ times a game in a ball control offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Denver going to run the ball no matter what. Denver rushed for 1957 last year, it wasn't like they that far off from 2000.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Well, the guy tried, I'm convinced, to be objective in his quasi-smack. But I
    am a bit puzzled as to how he could have watched Selvin all that much. As a
    Broncos fan, I had a hell of a time getting all the games in--although I did
    manage most of them. Did he neglect the Texans so he could watch Selvin?

Also, Selvin spent most of his college career nursing a broken ankle, so there
    wasn't much to watch then. I doubt the coaches there knew exactly what
    they had in Selvin.

Moreover, even if this guy did watch Selvin last year, I'm having a hard
    time imagining how he missed all Selvin's long runs and his 729 yards in a
    partial season, as a rookie, when he was about eight pounds lighter.

I guess the Texans fan also is unaware that the Broncos O-line in no way
    resembles that of last year.

Anyway, it will be interesting now how the Broncos match up. But if the
    Texans are going to play the game in the Broncos backfield, as they did
    last year, I don't believe it will be over the left side, as it was last year.

But then, I admit I am a Broncos homer, answering a Texans homer. We
    all are intensely interested in what is going to happen Saturday night.

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Apparently this guy has never heard of Ryan "ATV" Torain, The August 2007 Mel Kipers No2 Senior Runningback in the Country Award Winner......
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    The Infallible Matt McChesney

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is ...
    Quote Originally Posted by OaklandRaider View Post
    But what can you say to an intelligent Raider fan?

14. The Following User High Fived Broncospsycho77 For This Post:

GEM

Adopted Bronco:
    Elvis Dumervil

I live in Houston and I'm going to the game!!!!!!!! I can't wait to watch the Broncos whoop that a*s in person!
    BTW how can that guy possibly compare last years rushing offense to this years? We now have entirely different backs and more importantly a totally different offensive line.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I know it's just a blog, but I really prefer my bloggers to bring more than "I feel" to a discussion.

That was one of the vaguest POVs I've read in a while. Denver's running attack will suffer, because...well, because it has. And the Texans will have a better running attack because...of a stockpile of unnamed backs. There's a better OL in Houston apparently, though no proof of this is given. Wonder Gibbs will wave his magic wand and make everything better (though this is actually likely).

And he's looking forward to seeing this preseason game to tell how the running attack is shaping up for both teams and whether Houston's is better?

Um...okay.

Here’s the outline for the article I think he meant to write:

The Broncos and the Texans are obviously built on the same archetypal blueprint. But the Texans will prove to be superior.

- Mention Denver’s OL woes, from Nalen’s age and injuries to Hamilton’s concussions to our OT inexperience. Make sure to skip over own questions, with Denver backup center as Houston’s #1, Salaam as LT, and a couple of other interesting but young parts. Mention only that Houston’s sack totals were tremendously improved and with Gibbs around now they'll be better still.

- Talk about Ahman Green and his multiple thousand yard seasons. Pretend he isn’t old enough in RB years to have walked with dinosaurs. Also Chris Brown might have a quarter inch left on his tire tread, Darius Walker could be estimated to be a tremendous change of pace back since he hasn’t proven NOT to be, Taylor is their Barrett-level darkhorse coming back from injury and Slaton is their Alridge.

- Now point out that the Broncos have no such veterans other than Pittman who is buried on the depth chart and that their running game is in the hands of the unproven kids Young (injury prone), Hall (“too small”) Torain (rookie and coming off injury) et al.

- Pump up their giant Uruk Hai of a fullback named Leach and how he’s much like Griffith. And he is good, make no mistake. If you mention fullback for Denver at all bring up Sapp and his lesser talents, and maybe mention Hillis in passing but how he’s too green to make an immediate impact.

- Talk about how awesome Schaub is. Compare him equitably to Cutler. Ditto for Johnson vs. Marshall. Talk about pass protection for Schaub but do not mention the games he missed last year due to injury. Explain that the great running game that Houson should be running with their superior backs and line will open up the play-action game for “wily vet” Schaub, who hasn’t started as many games as Young Cutler – but don’t mention that.

- Conclude with fall of Broncos and rise of Texans since Kubes left for Houston. Explain that maybe the mastermind of the Broncos offense no longer resides in the Mile High city, and that with Shanahan’s prior drafting woes and the Texans recent raft of decent talent, perhaps in both talent and scheme the pendulum has swung toward the Lone Star State’s version of the Broncos’ Super Bowl winning formula.

- Ride off into the sunset.

That sound about right?

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by denbroncofan26 View Post
    I live in Houston and I'm going to the game!!!!!!!! I can't wait to watch the Broncos whoop that a*s in person!
    BTW how can that guy possibly compare last years rushing offense to this years? We now have entirely different backs and more importantly a totally different offensive line.
    After the first two series it won't be much of the Broncos we'll be accustomed to seeing. Winning or kicking ass is nice for the scrubs in the 3rd and 4th quarter, but the main objective will be to see who looks like they can maybe contribute this year. Pre-season is nothing but fine-tuning for the regulars and finding a scrub or two that can impress and bring something to the team this year. Granted, I hope they play well and win. But the main thing is individual performances and who looks good.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Well, to be fair, a Texans fan would know what a losing formula looks like.......

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Chidoze For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont care how bad the Texans backfield may look on paper. Slaton scares the hell out of me. He has the kind of mojo to make people look real stupid on the field.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rick Upchurch

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    I just don’t see the rushing attack returning to form any time soon.
    We were 9th in rushing last year...
    How's your burger, bro? - Ancient proverb

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information