Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 ... LastLast

Thread: The Aaron Rodgers Watch

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    I think the point he is making, is that nobody was willing to come back in at the end of the 1st to take him, and also to get that 5th year. Teams were content letting him slip to day 2. As such, it's not much of a stretch to say he wasn't really a 1st round graded prospect, even if someone had them on their board that high. Love/Jamal being recent examples of teams that made a move to get a guy late that nobody was willing to do for Lock. Fans probably have this stuck in their head as so many thought we were taking Lock in the 1st and instead passed for Fant.
    This. It's not that difficult. Having a first round grade on a RB but willing to wait for round 2 to get him is way different than having a first round grade on a QB. QB is the most important position in sports. If any QB needy team had a first round grade on Lock, they'd have moved to the back of the first to get him to secure that 5th year.

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

This is your 2nd round draft order that year prior to us drafting lock. Its actually most likely we had a mid first rd grade on him and he simply fell because the teams picking before us didn't need a mid first rd. QBor at least there GM's didn't feel they did and the chatter wasn't loud enough for us to need to trade up.

33 Arizona Cardinals Byron Murphy CB Washington
    34 Indianapolis Colts Rock Ya-Sin CB Temple
    35 Jacksonville Jaguars Jawaan Taylor OT Florida
    36 San Francisco 49ers Deebo Samuel WR South Carolina
    37 Carolina Panthers Greg Little OT Ole Miss
    38 Buffalo Bills Cody Ford OT Oklahoma
    39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan
    40 Oakland Raiders Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson

We took lton Risner at 41

Pretty sure the chatter was not loud since the teams that were really thought to need one selected one early in rd 1. Plenty of teams admitted having first rd grades on Lock but they didn't need him. Its reality that sometimes the teams in front of you don't feel the same way, but its also completely possible its because they are really smart or really dumb.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 08-04-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I totally forgot we actually passed on Lock twice before drafting him. I'm sorry, but if you pass on a QB TWICE, including to draft a guard in the second round, there's almost zero chance you have a first round grade on that guy. Just look at every draft these days. QBs get over drafted and traded up for in the first all the time. That 5th year on a rookie deal is so damn important.

If your argument is that Denver wasn't worried any one would jump them to get Lock, that just makes me even more confident the league didn't view him as a first rounder.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Looking at those teams that picked ahead of us, Indy had already lost Luck and had Jacoby Brissett at QB. They could have used someone. The Jags I think had Foles at that point? Maybe they thought he was good, but they could still have used a QB. The Bucs were on the last year of Jameis' contract and probably knew by that point he wasn't good. They could have used a guy. And that's not to even mention teams at the back of the first like the Pats and Saints who knew they'd be needing a QB soon and could have drafted the successor to their guy like GB did.

There were plenty of teams in that area who could have used a QB and passed on Lock. Including us, who passed on him twice. I think Elway knew he was flawed but figured he was worth a flier when he was still there toward the middle of the second.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Wave is straight up wiping the floor with everyone in here.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I totally forgot we actually passed on Lock twice before drafting him. I'm sorry, but if you pass on a QB TWICE, including to draft a guard in the second round, there's almost zero chance you have a first round grade on that guy. Just look at every draft these days. QBs get over drafted and traded up for in the first all the time. That 5th year on a rookie deal is so damn important.

If your argument is that Denver wasn't worried any one would jump them to get Lock, that just makes me even more confident the league didn't view him as a first rounder.
    we passed on him in the top 10 where a number of smart people didn't believe he belonged for various reasons, I had no issues with passing him there and saying we didn't believe he fit that value, but to say we passed him twice simply because we picked risner first is dumb, we had no threat of losing him and we may have even saved some money as well lol. Its also well known quite a few teams had first rd. grades on risner as well, so maybe the board just fell our way....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

11. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Looking at those teams that picked ahead of us, Indy had already lost Luck and had Jacoby Brissett at QB. They could have used someone. The Jags I think had Foles at that point? Maybe they thought he was good, but they could still have used a QB. The Bucs were on the last year of Jameis' contract and probably knew by that point he wasn't good. They could have used a guy. And that's not to even mention teams at the back of the first like the Pats and Saints who knew they'd be needing a QB soon and could have drafted the successor to their guy like GB did.

There were plenty of teams in that area who could have used a QB and passed on Lock. Including us, who passed on him twice. I think Elway knew he was flawed but figured he was worth a flier when he was still there toward the middle of the second.
    Again you and I could maybe see they needed one but GM's are smart and dumb.....its not a valid argument. Just because the gm in front of you passed on a guy and they may have needed a QB that same guy doesn't have first rd. grades by many other teams.
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 08-04-2021 at 09:50 AM.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Wave is straight up wiping the floor with everyone in here.
    Your such a ass kisser

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

14. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Your such a ass kisser
    Oh, you have been around here long enough to know that isnt the case with me. Northman is a straight shooter, he has upper management written all over him.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Your such a ass kisser
    Oh, you have been around here long enough to know that isnt the case with me. Northman is a straight shooter, he has upper management written all over him.
    You are a straight shooter. You always tell the truth. It is a wonderful attribute.

Openly professing your great love of Tom Bradys ass and shit bands like Stryper? It is truly admirable.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I knew I always liked you!

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    You are a straight shooter. You always tell the truth. It is a wonderful attribute.

Openly professing your great love of Tom Bradys ass and shit bands like Stryper? It is truly admirable.
    Damn straight!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

Northman is the only tough person in the world that likes Tom Brady.

23. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

Just to play devils advocate here. When we traded up to #42 (back to back picks 41 and 42) we took Dalton first because we thought he was the player the team at 42 wanted. If we took Lock at 41 then they did not think that the team would trade 42 with Risner still on the board.

So they did technically pass on Lock 2x, but Elway straight up said the reason why they went Riser/Lock instead of Lock/Risner is that they did not feel they would be able to get the 42nd pick with Risner still on the board.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here. When we traded up to #42 (back to back picks 41 and 42) we took Dalton first because we thought he was the player the team at 42 wanted. If we took Lock at 41 then they did not think that the team would trade 42 with Risner still on the board.

So they did technically pass on Lock 2x, but Elway straight up said the reason why they went Riser/Lock instead of Lock/Risner is that they did not feel they would be able to get the 42nd pick with Risner still on the board.
    This is how drafts work! Players are evaluated on absolute value (how valuable would they be to our team in a vacuum?) and they are evaluated on relative value (how highly do opposing teams value this player?)

In other words - this is not a devil's advocate opinion! You are just reinforcing that Lock was, indeed, passed on twice and Risner was valued ahead of him.

27. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information