Thread: Broncos are 5-3 at midseason and still improving

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    ??????I think we are in great shape for that this season

my sb prediction is the Texans and ???
    This year's SB will be in 2013.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Az Snake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    so they will finish with 9 or 10 wins which still winds division. But i think they will beat Cincy, Wash, NO, Balt and Philly
    On paper...I would agree. But they lost to Philly once already, were a few fingers from losing to Dallas a 2nd time, required a last minute 70 yard TD to beat Wash, needed 600 yards of offense to beat TB and let Cleveland hang around for 3 quarters. Other than the SF game, I really havent been too impressed with what they've done this season. Yeah, I still expect them to win their division, but I dont think they'll repeat the success they had last year. Just my opinion

Adopted Bronco:
    Eddie McCaffrey

The Giants barely got into the playoffs last year... I believe that their success will be directly correlated to what sort of run they can make in the last 4-6 weeks of the year. Last year they got hot, and didn't look back. I think it is hard to speculate about any team that is like this. They thrive from big plays and clutch performances. Like CoachChaz said, they do not just come out and dominate teams on a week to week basis. Honestly, the Falcons/Bears/Packers are the elite of the NFC, and with that said at this moment I think the Bears are the team to beat. The seem to be firing on all cylinders right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

I still think this defense struggles with really good offenses like in Houston and NE where they can run and throw. When we get the lead and can let our pass rush go, then we look much better.

Offensively, it is all going to be about protecting Manning and the health of our weapons. If we can do those two things, they should be able to put up nearly 30 pts against anybody they play.

6. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    I still think this defense struggles with really good offenses like in Houston and NE where they can run and throw. When we get the lead and can let our pass rush go, then we look much better.

Offensively, it is all going to be about protecting Manning and the health of our weapons. If we can do those two things, they should be able to put up nearly 30 pts against anybody they play.
    Protecting Manning has been something the OL has done well. He is never getting sacked and he is beating blitzes. It is great to see. He is ranked 2nd with fewest sacks.

8. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I'd say at mid-season we are solid and improving which is great. Given the natural progression of a new QB/System/Team I'd almost say it's accelerated past where I thought it would be right now.

The thing I am noticing most is that we are winning games that other Broncos teams in the past decade would have lost. San Diego and Cincinnati being good cases in point. In the past any adversity would have been meant with a lot of sulking on the sidelines, and now that is replaced with confidence and I think that all stems from Manning. Even when we went down in the score momentarily yesterday I wasn't the least bit worried.

I can't speak as much to the play calling and nuances of the game, but as far as a fan I am liking what I am seeing and the feeling this team gives me.
    This isn't just Manning. Last year's Broncos are very much alive with this team and we've finally gotten into enough of a groove this year that we're able to execute like we did at the end of last year. It wasn't just Tebow and it's not just Manning, the players on this roster just find a way to win and the luck just goes our way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    This isn't just Manning. Last year's Broncos are very much alive with this team and we've finally gotten into enough of a groove this year that we're able to execute like we did at the end of last year. It wasn't just Tebow and it's not just Manning, the players on this roster just find a way to win and the luck just goes our way.
    I think the coaching changes helped out too. new conditioning coach/staff and new DC.

11. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    A run...yes. But I still think Houston is better overall and we cant seem to figure out how to beat NE.
    I agree, Houston and NE are stronger teams. They would win 2 out of 3 meetings, if that makes sense. So, get to the postseason, hopefully with the roster fairly intact, and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

the new strength and conditioning coach seems to have done wonders to minimizing nagging injuries and helping play tough in the 4th qtr when the other team is gassed..
    It will interesting to see if we can play our best ball in December when the SB teams are made..

14. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Lonnie Paxton

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post

I love our talent on D but I think Del Rio has been a weakness.
    I hate baseball!

Adopted Bronco:
    Darrent Williams

They are getting better week by week.
    Leading the division.. can't ask for much more than that.

Really hope the guys all stay healthy... injuries can change everything.
    Kuper out for 2 or 3 weeks. Porter.. is he ever gonna come back?

Yeah... the division is ours ...if we can keep rolling.
    Playoffs? By then.. maybe we be even better...

Gotta take 'em one game at a time.
    I think the team has confidence now they did NOT have when they played the Patriots.
    AFC WEST Champions
    Steelers HATE US.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I agree, Houston and NE are stronger teams. They would win 2 out of 3 meetings, if that makes sense. So, get to the postseason, hopefully with the roster fairly intact, and see what happens.
    dont sleep on pitsburg! they are winning and not even at full strength! they can plug in ANY of 3 backs and get a 100+ yard game, sound like anyone we know?
    ben is solid, tuff, few turnovers lots of weapons,each withan ability to attack a segment of the defense and field
    (again, sound familiar? )
    defense, champ got exposed, more QBs will try him, especially if he is 1 on 1 against their BEST WR.
    and manning seems a little too pre-occupied with decker.
    these are monor weaknesses.
    ST, for every holliday play we get a ball-a-day play in the same game!
    dobt feel too secure about that and returns on our kick-offs have looked sloppy defensively.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    A run...yes. But I still think Houston is better overall and we cant seem to figure out how to beat NE.
    If we were playing the Patriots now I would feel pretty good about the Broncos chances.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    A Bronco said, after the Bengals game, it's a good thing when you can find your weaknesses and still come away with a win. What a great comment.

Before looking at those weaknesses, why not mention some of the defining characteristics of this year's Broncos team? The most notable thing to me is that the Broncos are playing with great discipline. Hats off to Fox, Del Rio, McCoy, and Manning. If there is a weakness, these coaches have proven capable of effecting a change in gameday execution that will correct that weakness. The early adversity has certainly helped sharpen this unit, because they seem to shore up any weakness quickly.

Young Broncos are on the rise. Von Miller, Harris, Carter, Wolfe, Moore, DT, Decker, Beadles, Bruton, Franklin, Unrein, Trevathan, these guys are all 25 and under, and many of them are 22, 23. They are seeing a lot of playing time. They are on an upward trajectory, trusting each other and doing their job better with each week.

Broncos are playing complete games for the first time in a long time. The team is known most for a great passing attack with an MVP caliber quarterback (#1/32 w/ 7.7 NY/A, #3/32 w/ 29.4 Point/G). But the running game, while not spectacular, is solid. The defense is known for the pass rush (#6/32 w/ 5.5 NY/A, and consider the quality of their opponents), but they are near the best in the league in low YPC against running backs (#6/32 w/ 3.7 Y/A). Kicking, coverage units, and return game look solid after the bye. Plus, the team is playing through the entire game, and playing their best ball in the fourth quarter. Dad always used to say that street fights, his forte, always went in favor of the guy who still had something extra left in the tank at the end. A mix of aerobic capacity, muscular endurance, and resolve. I see that with this team.

What has concerned me the most so far this season are the breakdowns on 3d down when a mobile QB extends a play. The other concern is the turnover differential. No reason to be concerned about the bad bounces; it's just bad luck that Broncos have lost nearly all of their fumbles, and recovered fewer than their fair share. The three turnovers against NE (10 pt loss) and four against Atlanta (6 pt loss) are a big reason why the team is 5-3 and not better. But regardless of bad bounces, no team can turn the ball over that much and win playoff games.

Overall, this looks like a solid team from A to Z that executes consistently, doesn't ad lib, and has few glaring weaknesses. There is more talent at some positions than others, but coaches are properly accounting for this. Still, you know quality opponents will find those weaknesses (like NE did) and thoroughly exploit them.

What weaknesses do you see? What is your midseason assessment?

Punt returns.

Fumbles.

Midseason assessment?

We wont lose another game if we keep our key guys healthy, and DJ Williams doesnt come back and screw up the rhythm we got goin.

Can he still cover a TE? Cause if he cant, whats the sense?

If he can, it leaves Miller to do alot more CRUSHING on the QB.

I predict Miller will have 20 sacks plus and lead the league by seasons end.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Broncogator View Post
    I love our talent on D but I think Del Rio has been a weakness.
    Based what personal feelings?

They are 8th in total defense that has a lot to do with Del Rio's management of the defensive personnel.

21. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information