Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Playmaker' Chad Kelly needs No. 2 reps sooner, not later

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Keenum is the best QB on the roster... until he is outplayed
    It has nothing to do with talent, though. You are very defensive over Keenum. You should stop that, you monster.
    Experience, not talent. Hes forgot more than Kelly can possibly know right now. Can he be the guy? Maybe. Is he now? Its not even close.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Kelly hadn't played a snap in almost 2 years.

And it only took 8 days of camp for him to start outperforming a guy who is going into his 3rd season.

Imagine how much better Kelly will be after a couple games and a few more weeks of training camp.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

And it only took 8 days of camp for him to start outperforming a guy who is going into his 3rd season.

Imagine how much better Kelly will be after a couple games and a few more weeks of training camp.
    He beat out a Paxton Lynch who couldnt beat out a Tim Tebow of 2011. So what? Lets see how Kelly does. Im not trashing the guy. But he will need time. He is not ready. Keenum is the guy for now. Accept it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

He beat out a Paxton Lynch who couldnt beat out a Tim Tebow of 2011. So what? Lets see how Kelly does. Im not trashing the guy. But he will need time. He is not ready. Keenum is the guy for now. Accept it.
    I dont get where you feel im negative on case. I think he can learn alot from case as he develops.

I am just sick of seeing Lynch with the #2s. Its a waste of reps.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The 3rd Stringer is always a popular guy. He may have the pedigree, but he needs time.

I think just let Lynch be Lynch. He will play himself to the bench.

The 3rd Stringer is always a popular guy. He may have the pedigree, but he needs time.

I think just let Lynch be Lynch. He will play himself to the bench.
    This is atypical, though. The third stringer was a day one talent heading into the draft and is busting his ass. No one is saying he needs to start over the strangely beloved Keenum, Shazam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    There are going to be a TON of pissed-off Broncos fans when the Broncos cut Sloter and try and sign him to the practice squad.

If Paxton wins the "backup battle" he'll be the #2 QB and they will keep 2 QBs, dumping Kelly.

If Paxton loses the "backup battle" they will get rid of Paxton, and sign a veteran QB to backup Keenum, and cut Kelly and try and put him on the practice squad.

I think this is the most likely scenario. Joseph refuses to name Kelly as the backup although he's been better in practices than Paxton (not saying much).

But, it's very unlikely they will be able to keep 3 QBs on the active 53 man roster.

Kelly won't be the backup because he has ZERO active game starts and a backup has to have experience for someone to have confidence in him. (Or else be Elway's pet, one or the other).
    The Broncos have always had 3 QBs on the active roster.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Wht I dont understand is all the hate on Keenum.

9. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

There isn't any. There's only one person vocal in doubting him on the board. FFS, you have more people on the site who think he can be elite than think it was a questionable signing.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I fall right in the middle but like ive said even last year, gotta see the OLine.

I fall right in the middle but like ive said even last year, gotta see the OLine.
    One of the reasons why he was signed is that he does pretty well under pressure. He doesn't have excuses, though he's not the type of person who looks for them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Some people just don't except the concept of "late bloomers," & therefore won't give him the benefit of the doubt that last year could be an indication that he's finally got it. Alex Smith, who struggled for the 1st 6 years of his career, would've led the 49ers to a SB if his PR could just could just avoid muffing 2 punts in the NFCCG. After a 6-2-1 start the following season, he was supplanted by Kaepernick following a mid-season injury. He then went to the Chief were he's been solid, superior to anyone we've had not named Manning.

I'm not guaranteeing that Keenum will do the same thing, but it wouldn't be unprecedented. I will say that the biggest thing that he has in common with Smith is that neither we're on teams whose success hindged on the play of the QBs, but their Ds. Although, the Broncos don't have RBs who have demonstrated themselves to be anywhere near as good as Gore (49ers) or Charles (Chiefs).
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    The Broncos have always had 3 QBs on the active roster.
    They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

NOt if he wants to keep his job if Keenum gets hurt for a couple of weeks.

15. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post

Is he really beating out Lynch or is some reporter's and fans bias? Because after 8 days of camp Kelly is still #3, and if he was so great then surely he'd force himself into the #2 spot.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    They haven't had as much talent deep on the roster as now. For instance, 7 draft picks could easily make this roster. The TE group is an example. Jeff Heurman might actually be the worst TE on the roster, but as the veteran he's almost certain to make it. Yet he has never been a proven player so how can they just roll with 3 TEs?

The WR group is much more talented than in years past and it's not just Courtland Sutton either.

The RBs are similar. Phillip Lindsay and David Williams are probably better than Devontae Booker (who seems to the be 1 RB who hasn't impressed in camp so far), but they are deep down on the depth chart. Will they keep 5 RBs? If not then who will they cut?

I am in favor of cutting Paxton immediately and keeping Chad Kelly on the 53, but that is just not likely because of Elway's idiot fixation with "his" draft pick.

But, if they keep 3 QBs they are going to be sacrificing real talent elsewhere on the roster.

It would probably mean getting rid of FB Andy Janovich for instance, because they need to keep 4 TEs (since none of them is an established veteran with proven ability).

In short it's a numbers game, and they can't keep 3 QBs without real sacrifice elsewhere and losing a really valuable player in order to keep Paxton Lynch who is completely and totally useless.

Elway's idiocy may force them to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but probably in that case they will pick up a veteran in FA and cut Chad Kelly and try to sneak him through waivers onto the practice squad.

I am NOT in favor of that, and most Broncos fans will be angry if they do it, but that's what it looks like happening because VJ cannot go into the season with Paxton as his only backup QB.

NOt if he wants to keep his job if Keenum gets hurt for a couple of weeks.
    Or, Elway know that its harder to develop QBs, and so he not going to put 1 on the PS that another team can steal at a moments notice because doing so would be a complete waist of the time and effort put into developing that QB.

Remember, back up QBs got their respective teams to the NFCCG last year, the winner of which then led his team to a SB championship. The year before, a 2nd & 3rd string QBs led the Patriots to a 3-1 start during Brady's suspension. The year before that, we got terrible play for almost the entire season from our QB position on our way to the SB championship. 3 consecutive years of conclusive proof that a teams success doesn't have to be solely dependent on your starting QB. If you can get serviceable play from a QB with great teammates to pick up the slack, you can win SBs. So yes, having 3 QBs so you can have a viable emergency response plan (like the last 3 SB winners had) to go along with a potentially elite D makes a lot of seance to me.

As far as using the spot to shore up another position, again, its easier to find a serviceable player at any of the positions that you list in FA (such as a 4th string TE that you mentioned) then it is to find a serviceable QB to take over if your starter gets injured.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information