Page 90 of 128 FirstFirst ... 40 80 88 89 90 91 92 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    It's taken me like 4 years, but I finally started reading this book:

Really hit this book hard the last week or so and finished it today. Boy is it a good read if you're into music history. I love the way that it was written - each chapter is 3-5 pages and is pretty much a little blurb or short story about a topic. Made it really easy for my short attention span to keep up.

There are a lot of great anecdotes from Charlie Louvin, and lots of famous people pop up along the way. Roy Acuff, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Gram Parsons, George Jones (and cocaine!), Bill Monroe, Ray Charles, and others make an appearance as people who influenced or were influenced by the Louvin Brothers. Charlie was the sober brother, and as he tells about the "rock and roll" lifestyle lived by musicians you get the sense of how much it hurt for him to see his brother as well as a whole host of other country musicians fall victim to that lifestyle. The obvious contrast between that lifestyle and them singing gospel music was fun to explore.

He also spends a lot of time ruminating about growing up as a hillbilly (in his own words) in the south, and what effect the rural life and culture had on him and his brother. And he paints a very conflicted of his father who was very strict and cruel at times, but who he still had an appreciation for. It's interesting.

Charlie Louvin died 2 months after he finished writing this book, and he went out on a damn good note. Recommended if you're into country music specifically, but if you like music history or portraits of middle America and 1940s-60s culture, then this is for you.
    Last edited by aberdien; 01-04-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Just finished "Mason's Pledge" by some jamoke name of Gordon Gross*. I really really liked it, but I've always been a fan of his prose. How to describe the plot/POV? Sort of noir Detective meets Supernatural and cleverly crafted.

*aka G-Money in our World
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Giving Terry Prachett's diskworld series a try.

5. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I have a hold on that one at the library. Let me know what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I have a hold on that one at the library. Let me know what you think.
    Pretty decent so far. Not at all what I expected, for some reason I didn't realize that it was more of a comedy fantasy novel (think Hitchhikers Guide, only fantasy)

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

That Louis L'amour book was really good.

will buy another - this was about the west, but not as much frontier life as i would like. Also did not really pick up on what Hawg was talking about regarding his appreciation of life

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    That Louis L'amour book was really good.

will buy another - this was about the west, but not as much frontier life as i would like. Also did not really pick up on what Hawg was talking about regarding his appreciation of life
    Maybe check out Jubal Sackett or Lonesome Gods? Glad you enjoyed.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Maybe check out Jubal Sackett or Lonesome Gods? Glad you enjoyed.
    Will go for lonesome God's..... Update to follow!

Finished the color of magic and enjoyed it enough I've moved onto the second book

It is very much similar in writing style to Douglas Adams Hitchikers books.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I am looking for some suggestions on a non-fiction book to read between fiction novels. Preferably from the American history genre.

TIA
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    So, who has read Atlas Shrugged? I'm thinking of picking it up, but some of the people that are Ayn Rand fans drive me nuts.
    I'm 32% into it. good read, but I think it might be a bit over your head to put it mildly. a lot of big words

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I am looking for some suggestions on a non-fiction book to read between fiction novels. Preferably from the American history genre.

TIA
    would fictional history count? I have a couple if so.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

TIA
    El Narco, Making of the A-Bomb, The Prize, or Hamilton.

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That Hamilton book is on the Times bestseller list, maybe I should give it a try. El Narco interests me some too.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    I'm 32% into it. good read, but I think it might be a bit over your head to put it mildly. a lot of big words
    Hi Nut.

G.F.Y. unless your dog already has.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information