Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: cuisine with Chef Zambini

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Zam, let me know if you need any help cooking fish.
    on that note, I have heard that Rockbass (aka striped bass) is absolutely delicious. Of course I have never had it. I may try to fish them this year.

Zam, how about a really good Green Chili sauce recipe.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

I have usually simmered hatch green chilis along with fresh jalepeno and anaheims in my pork stock. sweat all the chilis with diced onions, deglaze with the prk stock, then bring to a simmer and reduce with enough stock to cover.
    I am usually doing this along with a browned and quarterd pork butt, never made just chili sauce.
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by bronconut View Post
    on that note, I have heard that Rockbass (aka striped bass) is absolutely delicious. Of course I have never had it. I may try to fish them this year.
    Nut, I will text you pictures of fish I catch and cook. Rex and his family are coming out in June, so we will call you then. I hope to snag a snook or maybe a slot Red. Rex will clean it, of course.

6. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    I have usually simmered hatch green chilis along with fresh jalepeno and anaheims in my pork stock. sweat all the chilis with diced onions, deglaze with the prk stock, then bring to a simmer and reduce with enough stock to cover.
    I am usually doing this along with a browned and quarterd pork butt, never made just chili sauce.
    Recipe please.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Have you tried the Tobasco Habenero sauce? I am not a tobasco fan, but the Habenero version is one of my favorite Hot sauces...
    That is one hot sauce they got right.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

9. The Following User High Fived Thnikkaman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josh McDaniels Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    I have tried them all, the original and the chiptle green, best FLAVOR. habanero, just hot.
    My favorite chipolte is made by Yucateco. It has asn awesome flavor. I like it really, really hot, so the habenero Tobasco isnt really hot to me. Its the flavor that I love. Yucateco's red sauce is amazing too. It has an outstanding flavor, and is probably my favorite. But it is hotter than the avg hot sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    That is one hot sauce they got right.
    Hell yeah. I think its the only tobasco I like.
    Thanks MO for the wicked Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Nut, I will text you pictures of fish I catch and cook. Rex and his family are coming out in June, so we will call you then. I hope to snag a snook or maybe a slot Red. Rex will clean it, of course.
    gee, can't wait

Zam, how bout a tomato sauce recipe? I don't like my old lady's recipe and the next time we do pasta with a red sauce, I want to try something different.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

you can add almost ANYTHING to a pasta sauce any kind of veg even liquid.
    Perhasps one of the most telling exercises I performed inmy training at the CIA, was when every student in my class made a tomato sauce.
    we listed our ingredients on a blackboard, top 5 ingredients, tomatos garlic basil oregano olive oil, but the total list of engrdients was over 25.
    Our chef instructer then combined all of our 20 plus recipes, and then instructed us to get everything out of the classrooms refrigerator and put it on the largest prep table.
    we used every item to add to our collective sauce!
    things like milk and cottage cheese were added
    ornge juice, various stocks of several meats and fishes, stuck you would never consider putting in a tomato sauce, and it all worked !
    ratios and quantaties critical, but almost anything can go into a tomato sauce, so my point is this...
    add the ingredients that you like, spices and herbs especially.
    If I make a sauce from scratch, i start with roma tomatos
    some of the best tomato sauces I have tasted are the ones made fresh and minimalist so the fresh taste of the tomato comes thru! In restaurants I have wrked where heirloom tomatos are part of the menu, the trim and fading quality tomatos are used to create a quick sauce and accentuate the inherent flavor of the fresh tomatos.
    I will be honest with you, most times when I am in need of a tomato / pasta / pizza sauce, I buy a PREGO (corrected) and doctor it up with my own ingredients and seasonings.
    I no longer take the time to stew all my ingrdients for 4+ hours and then go thru the milling and straining process.
    I make my own pizza dough before I make my own pizza sauce from scratch.
    Last edited by Chef Zambini; 05-06-2012 at 10:32 AM.

14. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Hey Chef, Which CIA campus did you attend? My wife and I like to hit the Greystone in St. Helena as often as possible.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

I graduated in '84, the greystoke campus didnt even exist then. I attended the CIA in Hyde Park NY, just outside phoukeepsie,
    still cant spell that mo-fo.

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

You went to the orginal in the land of the Roosevelts. Great school.

Any insight to Greystoke's bouillabaisse would be greatly appreciated.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

the roosevelt property sits just north of the CIA campus on the banks of the Hudson.
    beyond that is the vanderbilt estate.
    beautiful area especially in the fall.

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Bouillabaisse

This is the recipe from one of the most traditional Marseille restaurants, Grand Bar des Goudes on Rue Désirée-Pelleprat. [4]:

» 4 kilograms of fish and shellfish: » grondin (eng. sea robin)
    » Rascasse blanche (eng. scorpionfish);
    » rouget grondin (red Gurnard);
    » congre (eng. conger);
    » baudroie (lotte, or monkfish);
    » saint-pierre (eng. John Dory);
    » live octopus[5]
    » 10 sea urchins

» 1 kilogram of potatoes
    » 7 cloves of garlic
    » 3 onions
    » 5 ripe tomatoes
    » 1 cup of olive oil
    » 1 bouquet garni
    » 1 branch of fennel
    » 8 pistils of saffron
    » 10 slices of pain de campagne (country bread)
    » salt and Cayenne pepper

The Rouille
    » 1 egg yolk
    » 2 cloves of garlic
    » 1 cup of olive oil
    » 10 pistils of saffron
    » salt and Cayenne pepper

1. Clean and scale the fish and wash them, if possible in sea water. Cut them into large slices, leaving the bones. Wash the octopus and cut into pieces.

2. Put the olive oil in a large casserole. Add the onions, cleaned and sliced; 6 cloves of garlic, crushed; the pieces of octopus, and the tomatoes peeled and quartered, without seeds. Brown at low heat, turning gently for five minutes, for the oil to take in the flavors.

3. Add the sliced fish, beginning with the thickest to the smallest. Cover with boiling water, and add the salt and the pepper, the fennel, the bouquet garni and the saffron. Boil at a low heat, stirring from time to time so the fish doesn’t stick to the casserole. Correct the seasoning. The bouillabaisse is cooked when the juice of the cooking is well blended with the oil and the water. (about twenty minutes).

4. Prepare the rouille: Remove the stem of the garlic, crush the cloves into a fine paste with a pestle in a mortar. Add the egg yolk and the saffron, then blend in the olive oil little by little to make a mayonnaise, stirring it with the pestle.

5. Cook the potatoes, peeled and boiled and cut into large slices, in salted water for 15 to 20 minutes. Open the sea urchins with a pair of scissors and remove the Corail with a small spoon.

6. Arrange the fish on a platter. Add the corail of the sea urchins into the broth and stir.

Serve the bouillon very hot with the rouille in bowls over thick slices of bread rubbed with garlic. Then serve the fish and the potatoes on a separate platter.

Another version of the classic Marseille bouillabaisse, presented in the Petit LaRousse de la Cuisine, uses congre, dorade, grondin, lotte, merlan, rascasse, saint-pierre, and small crabs (etrilles), and includes leeks. In this version, the heads and trimmings of the fish are put together with onions, celery and garlic browned in olive oil, and covered with boiling water for twenty minutes. Then the vegetables and bouquet garni are added, and then the pieces of fish in a specific order; first the rascasse, then the grondin, the lotte, congre, dorade, etrilles, and saffran. The dish is cooked for eight minutes over high heat. Then the most delicate fish, the saint pierre and merlan, are added, and the dish is cooked another 5–8 minutes. The broth is then served over bread with the rouille on top, and the fish and crabs are served on a large platter.

20. The Following User High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information