Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    They'd take up roughly $50 million of a $190 million cap? I just think it's possible to put together the rest of the team, solidly, with $140 million. Yes, someone might have to restructure, and yes, there might be a cap casualty, but I think they could field a competitive team while paying those two players that amount. I'd have to do some research that I don't have time for now, but I'm sure somewhere someone has taken up 26 percent of a team's cap, because the real large cap escalations of $10 million a year only kicked in under the new CBA a few years ago. The cap was relatively stagnant for some time, if I recall.
    Find me said team. Open challenge/question to everyone.

I'm beginning to think that Broncoknight30 doesn't want Denver to sign Kirk Cousins.

3. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Please tell me when the last time was that the Broncos were in “cap hell”. People throw that term around every time a team pays premium money for premium players... people said that shit after we signed Manning. Then we went out and signed Ware, Ward, Talib, and Stewart and they said it again. Then we signed Von to a huge deal and it was said once again. Maybe I’m just thick as a brick, but I have yet to see this phenomenon. Can you name or refer to any time in the Broncos history that we had to blow up the entire roster because we were in “cap hell” and start over?

I can only think of one time since the start of the salary cap era where that happened. The 2000-2001 Ravens Super Bowl team. They truly did have to blow up their roster the next year. Other than that, the shit doesn’t actually happen. I’m not saying that the salary cap doesn’t exist, but every GM these days knows how to manipulate it to sign the players they really want. Cousins won’t bankrupt this team. He’ll only be the highest paid guy until the next QB (likely A Rod) signs his extension.
    Fans hear so much about the salary cap that they believe the spin teams throw out there. It's mostly B.S. The salary cap is such a flexible thing that any team can really sign any player they really want.

The only downside is if you make an unwise investment in a player who is over 30 and then his play declines and you have to cut him, the un earned signing bonus gets accelerated against the cap, so that can cause "dead cap space" of money that counts against the cap for players no longer on the roster.

But, if a player (like Von Miller) they really want to keep around for another 4 or 5 years, then it's easy to re-do their contract, gain cap room by converting some of the guaranteed money into a new signing bonus that is also pro-rated over the life of the contract.

There are lots of little tricks like that they can use. The cap is NOT a hard and fast # that cannot be manipulated. And it goes up every single year too.

And this doesn't even take into account that these are multi-billion $ companies. And if you are a multi-billion dollar company you could always borrow whatever money you needed for current expenses. That teams don't do that is simply a CHOICE, not an impossibility.

In short, NFL teams CHOOSE not to sign some players, mostly because they are cheap and they don't want to diminish current revenues. Joe Ellis on The Fan yesterday said as much when talking about Pat Bowlen's impact on the Broncos.

Bowlen was highly successful because he was one of the few owners who really tried to funnel his income back into player and coaching salaries to build the value of his franchise through investing through SUCCESS. He seriously was committed to winning the SB every year and did whatever he could to do so.

Most owners think winning the SB would be nice, but are most concerned with their own bottom lines year to year. They like that the value of their franchises increases every year whether they win or not (think Cleveland Browns).

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I'm beginning to think that Broncoknight30 doesn't want Denver to sign Kirk Cousins.
    I think that's a bit of a stretch based off limited evidence and all...

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Fans hear so much about the salary cap that they believe the spin teams throw out there. It's mostly B.S. The salary cap is such a flexible thing that any team can really sign any player they really want.
    And also, the sky is actually purple, not blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I mean, sometimes it is, sometimes it is orange, sometimes it is red, in the right situation it can even have a greenish tent (but at that point, it's a good idea to head to the basement)

A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic.../blue_sky.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    why would he, when we can lose 12 games with Chad kelly, and save all that money?

buckle up, fellas, we gonna win the cap space trophy!

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

My original point is true. Yours is not.

Adopted Bronco:

Yeah but I think you're doing it at precisely the wrong moment. I think that's what I'm trying to convey. You're both saying that it has historically always worked out (and it has under Elway, but we had a ton of dead money under Shanny)... This is different though. These deals are in another echelon. It could still work - but you've got to think some salary cap conventional wisdom still applies and everything we've learned across all the sports is that wrapping up your cap in a couple of players is often a recipe for failure.

"Not this time! I bet I'm the first one laid off!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smykowski.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	11793

While we are just talking about saving money I will play QB for league min! Think of the money saved! I will be total shit, but the money!

13. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

I think Cousins is going to bungee jump off of the letter H of the Hollywood sign. Tune in...

He is so great.

Say, anyone ever get the number of SB wins from any of the QBs in the top 10 highest paid.....AFTER getting paid?

I know at least one of you wont understand the AFTER part of it.

The funny thing are Broncos fans still thinking Manning was the reason for 50 and thinking gigantic salaries paid to any one player causes problems for every franchise.

Even QBs that are sooooo gooood like Cousins.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

The only downside is if you make an unwise investment in a player who is over 30 and then his play declines and you have to cut him, the un earned signing bonus gets accelerated against the cap, so that can cause "dead cap space" of money that counts against the cap for players no longer on the roster.

But, if a player (like Von Miller) they really want to keep around for another 4 or 5 years, then it's easy to re-do their contract, gain cap room by converting some of the guaranteed money into a new signing bonus that is also pro-rated over the life of the contract.

There are lots of little tricks like that they can use. The cap is NOT a hard and fast # that cannot be manipulated. And it goes up every single year too.

And this doesn't even take into account that these are multi-billion $ companies. And if you are a multi-billion dollar company you could always borrow whatever money you needed for current expenses. That teams don't do that is simply a CHOICE, not an impossibility.

In short, NFL teams CHOOSE not to sign some players, mostly because they are cheap and they don't want to diminish current revenues. Joe Ellis on The Fan yesterday said as much when talking about Pat Bowlen's impact on the Broncos.

Bowlen was highly successful because he was one of the few owners who really tried to funnel his income back into player and coaching salaries to build the value of his franchise through investing through SUCCESS. He seriously was committed to winning the SB every year and did whatever he could to do so.

Most owners think winning the SB would be nice, but are most concerned with their own bottom lines year to year. They like that the value of their franchises increases every year whether they win or not (think Cleveland Browns).
    If the HARD CAP is not an issue, hard to believe the Broncos need to get rid of key guys to make room to sign the great cousins. Who, has how many playoff wins?

I say Elway should sign everyone. Get the best everything. The hard cap is bs.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    If the HARD CAP is not an issue, hard to believe the Broncos need to get rid of key guys to make room to sign the great cousins. Who, has how many playoff wins?

I say Elway should sign everyone. Get the best everything. The hard cap is bs.
    Perhaps you should think about this differently. We have a $20 mil LB; 3 CBs costing 8, 10 and 12 mil; 2 WRs costing over 8 mil each, a RT who costs 7 mil and is the worst starting RT in the game, a RB making 5 mil who just had his first season over 1000 yds and scored 3 TDs. All that money spent for 5-11. Why? Because we don’t have a QB.

Perhaps we should spend the big money on the most important position on the roster instead of all the other BS. It’s easier to have a successful team with a good to great QB and a lesser supporting cast than it is to build an entire team to make a journeyman scrub QB a winner.

Really, how much difference are we talking about money wise for Cousins over a guy like say Tyrod Taylor or AJ McCarron who, like it or not, will likely get close to 20 mil per because that’s the market? 7 mil? 8 mil? That’s Watson’s and CJs contracts. That’s Sanders’ contract. Do you really think we couldn’t live without those guys for a QB that doesn’t turn the ball over 3 times a game and can actually score TDs in the red zone?

If there’s one position you just can’t “gamble” with it’s QB.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

knight, you really suck at sarcasm. . .

19. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    knight, you really suck at sarcasm. . .
    Last edited by Slick; 02-17-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: personal attack
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information