Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Apparently Denver wants to run the ball or something

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Default Apparently Denver wants to run the ball or something

Denver was 17th in rushing attempts and 17th in yards last year, with 1718 total. That doesn't sound bad until you realize that Denver was TRYING to run the ball, in fact built their offense around rushing, and still couldn't be consistent enough to be a chain-moving offense. They had 85 rushing first downs. The 1997 Broncos had 138, and 135 in 1998 as well. The Houston Texans in Kubiak's playoff years had 114 and 131.

For better or worse, Kubiak wants to run other teams to death. For this team, that's going to be better - nobody wants Sanchez or Lynch having to carry the offense around. The team still threw for almost 4000 yards and ranked higher in passing yards and attempts than in rushing. The passing game is going to have to be there, but the rushing attack in a Kubiak offense needs to carry the water as a top-5 unit, and Denver was nowhere close last year.

Injuries were part of the problem, but shoddy play was definitely another. Denver was 17th in adjusted line yards, and 23rd when it came to getting stuffed in short yardage or tackled behind the line of scrimmage. Some of that was running into a stacked box because Manning couldn't take the top off the defense any more and teams wanted to make Oz feel the pressure as a player with almost no playing time before this year.

Well we're still going to be running into a stacked box this year with Sanchez, and Lynch - whenever he sees the field - is still going to be green as pistachio ice cream. That problem won't change for a minute, so the Broncos need to be able to move people and make holes anyway.

-----------------

Hello free agency! I see we had seen enough of our woeful tackle situation that we replaced both tackles (even though we have one coming back from injury in Sambrailo). Sambrailo is supposed to fight for the right tackle spot but slide in at guard if he can't beat out Stephenson. Regardless, that's a vast improvement on Schofield, and if something happens to either tackle Sambrailo is available to move out to the position and our new draftpick McGovern can step up inside.

-----------------

Hello draft! I see we decided to take a top-4 running back in this draft in Devontae Booker who runs like he was born for the one-cut, zone read system that we use. He can pass protect, get YAC, make decisive cuts, has great hands out of the backfield, and his weakness (lack of top-end speed) is one we don't really care about as a grind-em up offense. He's an older back, but we had Mike Anderson - we don't care as much about that. He'll keep his QB clean and get his own jersey dirty, and we need both of those things.

We added an incredibly strong tackle-turned-guard (Mcgovern, who was second at the combine in the bench press and one of the strongest men in college football) who can also get to the second level and has good footwork for an interior lineman. He needs some work on pass protection, especially since he's changing positions, but as a combination of Man-Ram's strength and something close to Beadles's movement skills it has the potential to be as good for us as Chris Kuper was.

And then we took a fullback who throws weight around like a lineman (he was out-bench-pressed by just 2 DL, 3 OL and zero LBs) and likes cracking heads in the hole - but can also run well and catch the ball when asked. Tyler Polumbus was on the radio explaining that Kubiak NEEDS a fullback to make the running game work the way he wants. He has that package now.

And most-impressively to me, Elway did it all on day 3, getting more potential impact players on Days 1 and 2 in other areas. If we can rebuild our running attack with good players without having to use prime picks to do it that's an incredible shift of leverage with those picks.

-----------------

Two real tackles, stronger interior players, more depth and a true fullback to help a strengthened running back core? Yeah, we're definitely waist-deep into the the Post-Manning Broncos plan now.

It's not going to be a splashy aerial attack, but we know that when Kubes was hired. After getting pounded by Seattle's physical play, Elway has set out to one-up them in that department. He has a Super Bowl trophy to show how well he learned that lesson, and is looking for another while he replaces a Hall of Famer at QB.

That's a high degree of difficulty maneuver - but I don't put anything past Elway at this point. He's building for the long-term while we win right now. Let's see if we can pound the rock like we mean it this year. Made TD and Griffith proud.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

We will have a lot of success running to the left with Okung there.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

You're going to make Mo all sad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    You're going to make Mo all sad.
    Are they going to run the ball like they did against Indianapolis, or are they going to run the ball like they did against San Diego?

As long as they're getting first downs it doesn't matter, but if they're running it at 2.8 yards per pop, it's useless.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Are they going to run the ball like they did against Indianapolis, or are they going to run the ball like they did against San Diego?

As long as they're getting first downs it doesn't matter, but if they're running it at 2.8 yards per pop, it's useless.
    Yup. I don't mind being committed to the run - I do mind being committed to running the ball in a shitty way over and over and over again. I don't need the Sammy Winder days back, because we don't have Elway to bail us out.

If we can chunk yardage with it and convert short third downs, great! Run the ball then. Hopefully this draft and free agency helps with that.
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

Adopted Bronco:
    Can I adopt Miles the Mascot?

Im pretty worried about our run game still. I love the signing of Booker as i think he will be our best back by week 8 or so, but what concerns me is us only drafting one OL. With OL being our largest weakness for most of the year I would have liked us to draft more than one OL, who also does not play as strong as he is in the weight room. To me, i dont see Okung lasting all year, so who will move to LT? I dont see enough depth on the current roster to feel comfortable or confident about us having a top 12 rushing attack

Once CJ came out for a breather last season, our running game became pure finesse. Booker is a faster version of CJ. They're going to have these two and a fullback pounding the front 7 of the defense all day long. Add in bigger, more physical linemen and an even bigger commitment to the run and what does that spell? Breaking teams' will in the fourth quarter.

Oh to go back to the days of pounding the ball relentlessly when the other team knew it was coming and having success. Add that to this defense and this team is vastly improved overall.

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshdude7 View Post
    Im pretty worried about our run game still. I love the signing of Booker as i think he will be our best back by week 8 or so, but what concerns me is us only drafting one OL. With OL being our largest weakness for most of the year I would have liked us to draft more than one OL, who also does not play as strong as he is in the weight room. To me, i dont see Okung lasting all year, so who will move to LT? I dont see enough depth on the current roster to feel comfortable or confident about us having a top 12 rushing attack
    Sambrailo and Stephenson both provide depth at LT.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Can I adopt Miles the Mascot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sambrailo and Stephenson both provide depth at LT.
    Are you comfortable with them protecting the blind side though?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshdude7 View Post
    Are you comfortable with them protecting the blind side though?
    Not completely. That's why they signed Okung. You can't pay two all-pro left tackles just in case someone gets hurt. You're going to have a drop in quality from starter to backup, that's just reality.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Not completely. That's why they signed Okung. You can't pay two all-pro left tackles just in case someone gets hurt. You're going to have a drop in quality from starter to backup, that's just reality.
    We also added a couple of decent TEs as UDFAs who can block too, and Heuerman will be back, and we drafted a FB (and a pass-protecting RB) if we want to max protect because Okung gets injured for the 11th year in a row. I would have liked to have drafted another OL, but with Sambrailo back along with two new tackles AND McGovern, it's not like we didn't address it.

It should be a better scenario than last year. Just tar and feather Schofield and put him on a rail out of town and we'll be fine. Alternately, move him to backup guard and NEVER let him sniff a minute at tackle again, I guess.
    -- James Dean

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Once CJ came out for a breather last season, our running game became pure finesse. Booker is a faster version of CJ. They're going to have these two and a fullback pounding the front 7 of the defense all day long. Add in bigger, more physical linemen and an even bigger commitment to the run and what does that spell? Breaking teams' will in the fourth quarter.

Oh to go back to the days of pounding the ball relentlessly when the other team knew it was coming and having success. Add that to this defense and this team is vastly improved overall.
    I believe the Titans' GM was talking about an advantage that "run first" teams might have, which was the idea that with offenses being so pass heavy, teams had a lot of smaller, faster defenders to counteract that. But if a team is going to run it down the opponent's throat, those smaller guys will just get run over. I think that's what we're looking at here.

I think we'll take a big step forward in the run game this year, which in turn will help take pressure off of Sanchez. And honestly, if Lynch is ready to go by 2017 and our run game is already clicking, we could be a force, given Lynch's ability to make things happen with his legs.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

The good news is if Sanchez plays the season and Lynch redshirts, it means he played well and we walk away with a comp pick when he signs somewhere next year. If he plays poorly, Lynch gets a trial by fire. I'm not find of the latter option unless it comes after mid season.

21. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

The good news is if Sanchez plays the season and Lynch redshirts, it means he played well and we walk away with a comp pick when he signs somewhere next year. If he plays poorly, Lynch gets a trial by fire. I'm not find of the latter option unless it comes after mid season.
    Same. I want a full year of Decent Sanchez, then let him go for a pick and give Lynch the reins next year. Get him a vet to back him up and call it good. Those Lynch naked boots after stretch-pounding the defense with our running game are gonna be a thing of beauty, too.
    -- James Dean

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Why is it that seem to high five every post G makes?

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information