Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Schlereth on O-line: "They need to fire them all and start over"

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    Surely there is some kind of band aid we can put together this season. Hell, nothing has changed from last year, if anything we some how upgraded, although hard to see it that way now, but we did get Clady back. I just don't get how an O-line can just implode like this half way through a season when you only had 1 loss. I don't think teams have suddenly found the blue print to beating our O-line to get to Peyton. I think most of it's mental, and if we can do some patch work and set goals for this O-line that is achievable, we can get some success again. What I mean by setting goals, maybe, I don't know, give Peyton 4 seconds with the ball instead of 2 1/2? Maybe 1 penalty on the O-line instead of 3? Baby steps.
    The one thing that's changed since last year is that yes, teams have the blueprint on us: It was always available, but NOTHING could display it better than broadcasting it globally in prime time. More human beings saw Historys Best Passing DESTROYED from kickoff to gun than any other event of the past year; the word's kinda out now. And as I noted before and Gase after the game, the main reason was that the best way to get Manning >2 seconds to throw is a running game at least good enough defenses must honor it.

Run to establish the pass; that's literally Football 101: It's how teams slow blitzers, draw down safeties and LBs and force opponents out of dime and Cover 2 (or in Seattles case, Cover 3.) There's a reason our coaches keep trying to go back to it, but also a reason it still won't work. Always has been—even before Manning. All that's changed is the SB spotlighted it too well to ever again conceal.

Timmy's right though: I need a break, and no one needs me to make the same old arguments when everyone from Gase to Schlereth is making them just fine for me. Guess they're not TRUE Broncos.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Yoink.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

As a former Bronco I don't really see any reason to say "They need to fire them all and start over". I get it if you're going for ratings purposes and trying to get peoples attention, sure. But it literally does nothing for the team, or players to hear that. That's why I'm confused why Mark Schlereth, a former Bronco would say that about a team (I like to think is rooting to win the SB) that he used to play on.
    You're a former Bronco?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    You're a former Bronco?
    lawl. you know what I meant. I will edit that for the sake of confusion.

5. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Did you not see the "band-aids" the last 5 games? Let's review.

They started the season with Chris Clark at RT, Manny Ramirez moved from G to C, and Orlando Franklin from RT to LG. Then after the first 3 games, they inserted rookie FA Paul Cornick as an extra blocker. Then they benched Clark and inserted Cornick. That lasted 3 games. Then just before the Patriots game they benched Cornick and moved Ramirez back to G, put Will Montgomery at C, and moved Vasquez to RT.

Band-aid, band-aid, band-aid, band-aid. I would say after all this that they are fresh out of band-aids, wouldn't you?

And after all these moves, they were just crushed by a 3-6 team and are now facing the best DL in football and the #3 pass defense. Then it's off to face the Chiefs who are even better on defense.

If you beat the 49ers so badly you brought out Oz in the 4th. Use that O-line. Something worked. Period. Something isn't clicking with the O-line, so resort back to what you were doing previously.
    Last edited by tripp; 11-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.

7. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The one thing that's changed since last year is that yes, teams have the blueprint on us: It was always available, but NOTHING could display it better than broadcasting it globally in prime time. More human beings saw Historys Best Passing DESTROYED from kickoff to gun than any other event of the past year; the word's kinda out now. And as I noted before and Gase after the game, the main reason was that the best way to get Manning >2 seconds to throw is a running game at least good enough defenses must honor it.

Run to establish the pass; that's literally Football 101: It's how teams slow blitzers, draw down safeties and LBs and force opponents out of dime and Cover 2 (or in Seattles case, Cover 3.) There's a reason our coaches keep trying to go back to it, but also a reason it still won't work. Always has been—even before Manning. All that's changed is the SB spotlighted it too well to ever again conceal.

Timmy's right though: I need a break, and no one needs me to make the same old arguments when everyone from Gase to Schlereth is making them just fine for me. Guess they're not TRUE Broncos.
    Wasn't just the O-line that lost us that game. Our defense was non existent. Yet that debate is for another thread. While the O-line isn't the best, it was doing a good *enough* job to compete in games. What in god's name was it doing last week against the Rams? We weren't even competitive. There's nothing this season right now, that we can do improve this O-line other than practice, practice, practice, and practice. We need to be better mentally just as much as physically. Do you know how many drives are destroyed because of a holding penalty? We have just as many penalties on the O-line this season, as we had ALL last season. Schlereth pointing out the flaws in our O-line does nothing for the team, and isn't anything new that we don't know about.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

lawl. you know what I meant. I will edit that for the sake of confusion.
    Dude...I totally misread that. My bad
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Wasn't just the O-line that lost us that game. Our defense was non existent. Yet that debate is for another thread.
    Huh? Elway said our D kept us in that game, and I agree. Despite the safety and giving away the ball on our next "drive," the D held Seattle to a FG both times, and after we went three-and-out the Seahawks needed a phantom 3rd down PI to get 1st and G at the 1 and finally reach the end zone. The D didn't throw the pick six after that, or let them run back the second half KO for a TD.

Our D played a fine game, ESPECIALLY given that Miller, Harris, Vickerson, Wolfe and Moore were on the bench hurt. We were literally half-strength, and still competed against a SB team. Except on offense, our supposed strength that was only missing ONE starter, yet got DESTROYED kickoff to gun. Seattle didn't even DO anything on the first play, just sit back and watch Ramirez throw the ball into our end zone. It boggles the mind why Elway and Co. decided to stand pat with the same guys who yes, almost singlehandedly lost us the SB.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

No GM is going to wipe out an entire position based off one mans opinion of one game, too bad for that one man.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    No GM is going to wipe out an entire position based off one mans opinion of one game, too bad for that one man.

Especially when people a lot smarter than us rate him as the most efficient pass blocking tackle in the entire league.

Man, what a **** up it was to follow Joel's wishes and move Franklin to guard.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Fox actually hasn't coached longer than I've been alive, is just one of THREE head coaches to ride Manning to a SB, and needed 3 OTs wins just to reach the PLAYOFFS in his other SB season, plus a 4th to reach the NFCCG. But, OK, fine, he's right and I'm wrong: Chris Clark actually IS "the best backup OT in the league" rather than a useless lump—even though the head coach who called him the best when he was giving strip-sacks in game after game last year BENCHED him this year.

Why is someone so directly and personally connected with the NFL sitting here arguing with us lowly readers anyway: Shouldn't you be getting ready for the game you're playing Sunday?

(the previous comment was directed at the particular individual whose comment intended to slander,disrespect or offend me)

I truly LOVE that, btw; does it work in biker bars? Like, if you go up to a Hells Angel and say, "Your mom's a whore—no offense" do they just shrug it off and buy you a beer?
    You mad, bro?

15. The Following User High Fived GEM For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    It's not just Gases opinion we lost the SB because we couldn't run, though he was certainly open in telling Phil Simms so. Are you seriously going to sit here STILL pretending our line's fine?!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Especially when people a lot smarter than us rate him as the most efficient pass blocking tackle in the entire league.

Man, what a **** up it was to follow Joel's wishes and move Franklin to guard.
    Same old question: Who plays LG if Franklin doesn't? Given that the FO decided we merely needed to reshuffle our bad hand rather than draw some decent cards. I never WISHED Franklin would move to guard: It was the best of the few bad options left afer Elway refused to get any of the MANY top guards available in the draft and FA. What was our alternative at that point—what IS it now?

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    You mad, bro?
    I'm mainly disgusted; sounds like Schlereth is, too. If someone's gonna make a habit of insulting people though, maybe he should take the "this post wasn't meant to be insulting" thing out of his sig.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

5 pages and no one mentions that the 2 best lineman on the team are clearly hurt. Clady and Vasquez are both no where close to 100 percent. wonder if that affects pass and run blocking.

I'm mainly disgusted; sounds like Schlereth is, too. If someone's gonna make a habit of insulting people though, maybe he should take the "this post wasn't meant to be insulting" thing out of his sig.
    How dare he question your football authoritay!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information