Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Detroit media likes a Von for Stafford trade

This is the best part of this proposal. Reading their evaluation of Case Keenum. Get a load of this bit:
    "So here’s what I propose: The Lions should trade Stafford and a third-round pick to Denver for Miller and Keenum. Stafford and Miller’s cap numbers are similar this year. The two-year, $36-million contract Keenum signed last year is trickier, though Denver would get significant cap relief by trading him and the Lions wouldn’t be tied to him long term. Because of the structure of Stafford's contract, it would behoove the Lions to make the trade after June 1, when the cap hit for dealing him becomes more amendable.

And before you send me hate mail about Keenum and how terrible he is, did you think he was terrible last season, when he threw the Minnesota Miracle pass to Stefon Diggs? Or when he led the Vikings to the NFC title game? Has he been terrible while posting a 6-3 career record against the NFC North?

Keenum’s biggest problem this season was that he didn’t have Pat Shurmur to call the offense and get the most out of him. With the Lions, that wouldn’t be a problem. The Lions could promote or keep quarterbacks coach George Godsey, who was Houston’s QB coach in 2014 when Keenum played well and led the Texans to two late-season wins.

More: Lions offensive coordinator: Hackett, Sarkisian reportedly candidates

In fact, Keenum might be exactly what the Lions need in their desire to be a ball-control offense as part of Patricia’s philosophy of complementary football. Keenum hasn’t come close to Stafford’s gaudy yardage numbers, but their statistics in meaningful categories like completion percentage, interception rate, yards per attempt and passer rating are similar.

“And teams that can run the ball, stop the run, control the game towards the end of the season are really, I think, the teams that will have the most chance to win,” Patricia said last week.

The Lions don’t need a gunslinger like Stafford to run their hum-drum offense. It’s like asking a Ferrari to tow an apple cart in first gear. Stafford needs to open the throttle. He’s a stallion that needs to run free. Maybe even a Bronco set loose in greener pastures."
    So, this guy thinks that the Lions would be just fine with Case Keenum as their QB if they could get Von Miller. Sadly, I do not believe that this delusion is shared by the Lions GM.

There is no way that the Lions could watch Case Keenum's tape for 2018 and decide "Yeah. We'd be just fine with this dude as our starting QB in 2019! Let's just trade Matt Stafford!"

You have to admit that if you were the Lions you would not touch Keenum. You would conclude, like every Broncos fan, that Keenum had a career year in MN with some very good TEs to throw to. Then he came to Denver and regained the level of SUCK that he had successfully maintained before with the Rams. So, this remains just some media internet dude who covers the Lions saying something stupid on the internet.

So, how could a trade like this work for them?
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-12-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

f*$! that. . .

3. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Elway isn't trading Von.
    Martha Ford would never sign off on trading Stafford.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I'd be all over that trade. I don't see Von retiring as a Bronco, and the way I see it, we're wasting his prime with a shit team that's rebuilding. Rather trade him and bring in a *good* QB. I always felt Stafford was hindered because of coaching.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    I'd be all over that trade. I don't see Von retiring as a Bronco, and the way I see it, we're wasting his prime with a shit team that's rebuilding. Rather trade him and bring in a *good* QB. I always felt Stafford was hindered because of coaching.
    Von is a known Super Bowl MVP commodity for us. I'm not trading that for a guy who maybe could be a winning QB with the right coaching, which we might not even have. No thanks.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Von is a known Super Bowl MVP commodity for us. I'm not trading that for a guy who maybe could be a winning QB with the right coaching, which we might not even have. No thanks.
    What good is it paying a pass rusher that kind of money when we have a shit offense?

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Lots of folks in here selling Stafford short. How often do you hear anything out of Detroit about anyone other than Stafford now that Megatron is retired? You don’t because that team sucks shit. They’re essentially the same 0-16 team they were before Stafford but with a QB that keeps them near a .500 record these days.

Worst Oline (makes ours look good), no running game (among last in league for years), mediocre to poor defense. Few offensive weapons that, believe it or not, Stafford actually makes look better than they are (like PFM did for his receivers- throwing them open).

Stafford is a top 10 talent level QB playing on a team that rivals the Browns of the last decade coaching and talent wise. If he came here, he would instantly be the 3rd best QB the Broncos have ever had, without ever playing a snap.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

10. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

What good is it paying a pass rusher that kind of money when we have a shit offense?
    having a good defense, that's what's good about paying von. . . we need to find a capable rookie-scale QB, that's the best model for opening a championship window. . . not trading for an older stat machine who's never won anything, and has a massive contract. . . the seahawks with wilson, eagles with wentz/foles-- hell, the steelers with rapenstein. . . that's our path to another title. . . you don't go get vic fangio, then immediately give away his best weapon. . . makes no sense. . .
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    having a good defense, that's what's good about paying von. . . we need to find a capable rookie-scale QB, that's the best model for opening a championship window. . . not trading for an older stat machine who's never won anything, and has a massive contract. . . the seahawks with wilson, eagles with wentz/foles-- hell, the steelers with rapenstein. . . that's our path to another title. . . you don't go get vic fangio, then immediately give away his best weapon. . . makes no sense. . .
    So let's roll with Keenum and have another season like last year. Thank god for those 10+ sacks he got us though.

Finding a capable rookie-scale QB is apparently harder than it looks. Case Keenum was/is our best option at QB, that tells you all you need to know about the QB market. Von Miller's contract is insane for a player that isn't a QB tbh.

Adopted Bronco:

So let's roll with Keenum and have another season like last year. Thank god for those 10+ sacks he got us though.
    in fairness, stafford and a sub-par defense hasn't exactly been wildly successful, either. . . but thank god for those 4,000 yards he got them, amirite?

*shrugs*

all cheap sarcasm aside, i just don't subscribe to the idea that exchanging pieces is the best way to build a team. . . i want to see us ADD to our talent, not just shuffle it around. . . i know finding a QB is tough, but it's not some impossible feat. . . wilson, goff, mahomes, wentz, watson, mayfield and more have come out of recent drafts. . . darnold is a stafford clone. . . you need to have a good offensive scheme with smart people running it, and be able to put talent around a young QB, and you can make it work. . . denver can't let lynch scare them off of drafting another QB-- he was a bust, you learn from it and move on. . . maybe next time, do a little research on his personality and work habits-- like, find out if he actually possesses either. . .

we all want what we want, and it doesn't mean any of us are necessarily right or wrong. . . i want a tough defense with a talented young QB-- i just think it's the best way to go, for both the short and the long term. . .

“When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    in fairness, stafford and a sub-par defense hasn't exactly been wildly successful, either. . . but thank god for those 4,000 yards he got them, amirite?

*shrugs*

all cheap sarcasm aside, i just don't subscribe to the idea that exchanging pieces is the best way to build a team. . . i want to see us ADD to our talent, not just shuffle it around. . . i know finding a QB is tough, but it's not some impossible feat. . . wilson, goff, mahomes, wentz, watson, mayfield and more have come out of recent drafts. . . darnold is a stafford clone. . . you need to have a good offensive scheme with smart people running it, and be able to put talent around a young QB, and you can make it work. . . denver can't let lynch scare them off of drafting another QB-- he was a bust, you learn from it and move on. . . maybe next time, do a little research on his personality and work habits-- like, find out if he actually possesses either. . .

we all want what we want, and it doesn't mean any of us are necessarily right or wrong. . . i want a tough defense with a talented young QB-- i just think it's the best way to go, for both the short and the long term. . .

yup agree to disagree.

I hate seeing our defense go to waste because our offense can't get it together. I'm just happy VJ is gone.

17. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

How do you think that defense is going to look without Von? Did you like Chubb this season? Say thanks to Von commanding double and triple teams.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    How do you think that defense is going to look without Von? Did you like Chubb this season? Say thanks to Von commanding double and triple teams.
    precisely. . . our team's whole identity right now is built around the defense, which is in turn built around our pair of edge rushing terrors. . . we just brought fangio in to maximize those guys, not to trade one of them. . . all due love and respect to my guy chris harris, but him and chubb aren't enough foundational pieces to keep this defense at a top level, let alone to make them truly elite again. . .

i think it's a totally moot point, in any case. . . detroit media aside, they ain't trading him. . . FTR, i would certainly entertain the idea of a package centered around the #9 pick for MS if they did make him available-- but trading #58 is a non-starter after getting vicious vic as our HC. . .
    - John Elway

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Why would we trade a multiple all-pro, SB MVP, most likely first-ballot hall of Famer for someone that isn't that?

Von carried this team to a SB. That defense worked because of Von. Ware got left in single coverage, our secondary could play super tight coverage with very little fear of a QB getting enough time to throw the ball, etc...

Get us a QB, yes, but not at the expense of what is our strength.

23. The Following 7 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

I really like Stafford, I'd love to have him here, but if they think they can get Von Miller in exchange for Stafford, well they can go forth and multiply with themselves....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information