Thread: Dynasty Warriors 9

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Dynasty Warriors 9

Ive played Dynasty Warriors since DW2 say back since DW2 was a PS2 launch title. The original DW was a 1x1 fighter, while this was a crowd combat brawler and the first of its kind. Loosely based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms literature works based on ancient China, no other game has put as many enemies on screen as DW, which founded a new genre which spawned a host of copy cats. They have released 20+ games, spinoffs, expansions, and a successful franchise and kept the beat em up genre strong.

I have played most of the main DW titles over the years from varying platforms. PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, and loved the simple combat and thrill of moving forward into 100s of enemies and slicing through the hordes.

Looking for something to entertain me late nights while baby sitting, i picked up DW9, which promised for the first time, an open world GTA style game. This direction of the franchise didnt work and is a supreme disappointment. Searching for licorice root to make healing items and ingredients for crafting items is not the kind of game for an action game like DW.

The open world is barren, lifeless and dull. Traveling across the massive map is a chore. The graphics don't feature the kind of open world it tries so hard to convey. The english dub voicework is atrocious, notably a step down from earlier versions thatxwere shoddy before has hit a new low.

The reworked combo system doesn't allow the smooth combat flow of pervious versions. They do an impressive job of keeping the framerate solid with 100s of enemies on screen, but the sacrfice is dulled down by the terrible pop in and short distances.

Some of the mission structure is broken too, and others seems thrown in for good measure. Obligatory stealth sections? Fishing? Hunting? This isnt Legend of Zelda or Metal Gear, when the purpose of DW was to make you seem like a God of War, slaying 100s of thousands of enemy soldiers.

The amount of customization is high, with 40+ playable characters. But the movesets are recycled and they just have a new coat of paint, and the missions don't change.

DW9 is a step in the wrong direction. I hope they listen to their fans, as this isnt what DW was built on.

2/10

Xbox One/PS4
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I love this series as well, cant remember if i have 9 or not but do remember the map. The characters and stories are great but once i beat it and get all the characters i get bored with it pretty fast. I dont know if they are going in the wrong direction for me but they are guilty of not expanding on it more or allowing for more things to be achieved after the initial run through. They certainly need to get more versatility.

Shaz- Dont know what kind of phone you have but there is a game (free) called Darkness Rises (at least for Android) and its pretty cool. Allows a lot of different costume looks (including stuff like LuBu's look, etc) as well as special moves. If DW went in this kind of direction i would be more than happy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I def will check that out. Thanks north

5. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

They came out with a DW movie in 2016 called God of War - Zhao Yun amd Dynasty Warriors coming in 2019.

7. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    They came out with a DW movie in 2016 called God of War - Zhao Yun amd Dynasty Warriors coming in 2019.
    There is also a fantastic movie called Red Cliff (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/) which deals with the time period and some of the characters. Check it out if you havent already.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    There is also a fantastic movie called Red Cliff (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/) which deals with the time period and some of the characters. Check it out if you havent already.
    Tha k you North. See, we appreciate other things besides Broncos and metal...

10. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Like Samurai Swords!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Like Samurai Swords!
    I love em. Need a wakizashi tho

13. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Had such a fubar moment today.

I bought and downloaded DW9 Empires and started playing for the last 5 days getting weapons and building up characters. But i wanted to move to conquest mode and edit mode only to find that the options were not in the game menu. So i looked online for any advice as to why it wasnt showing up, could not find ANYTHING helpful in that regard. Then, as i looked between my computer screen and the tv where the main menu was i realized that i had been playing DW9 basic the last 5 days instead of Empires which even though i downloaded had not installed yet...... lol

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information