Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast

Thread: Buff's Elitist Movie Review Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

My wife and I used to see a movie a week...before we had kids.
    Now that we are pretty much empty nesters again, we are hoping to get back to the theatre on a regular basis.
    These are the 2019 movies I have seen...in no particular order.

Avengers: End Game (Loved it)
    John Wick 3 (Loved it)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Loved it)
    The Lighthouse (Still attending therapy to try and understand what I witnessed)
    The Irishman (Didn't quite love it but still a solid flick)
    El Camino (Loved it)
    Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Liked it)

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    My wife and I used to see a movie a week...before we had kids.
    Now that we are pretty much empty nesters again, we are hoping to get back to the theatre on a regular basis.
    These are the 2019 movies I have seen...in no particular order.

Avengers: End Game (Loved it)
    John Wick 3 (Loved it)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Loved it)
    The Lighthouse (Still attending therapy to try and understand what I witnessed)
    The Irishman (Didn't quite love it but still a solid flick)
    El Camino (Loved it)
    Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Liked it)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Maybe. I gave up on Tarantino when all his movies sucked hard and did nothing for me.
    Starting with Pulp Fiction?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Starting with Pulp Fiction?
    Hm. I see.

I liked that one at the time. It may not hold up.

Res dogs was my jam though.

But I am not foreclosing the idea that I am in the wrong, and his movies continued to impress.

I haven't seen them. I mean, I have, but not proper. My feeling is that they are too cute. Usually fetchingly clever, but too cute.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Hm. I see.

I liked that one at the time. It may not hold up.

Res dogs was my jam though.

But I am not foreclosing the idea that I am in the wrong, and his movies continued to impress.

I haven't seen them. I mean, I have, but not proper. My feeling is that they are too cute. Usually fetchingly clever, but too cute.

After Pulp Fiction, the only one I've really liked was Inglorious Basterds.

The others have all been disappointing on different levels. Not that they're bad per se, but not as enjoyable as his earlier endeavors, i.e. Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction.

I have not seen Once Upon a Time yet, so here's hoping it's not disappointing.

6. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Kill Bill was the height of my Tarantino phase. That one still did it for me. Basterds and Django I liked, but not as much... I'm not sure I watched all of Hateful 8. I just could not get into Once Upon a Time for some reason...

I understand why his shtick doesn't work for everyone, but I appreciate him for what he is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I understand why his shtick doesn't work for everyone, but I appreciate him for what he is.
    This is how I feel about you!

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

This tweet turned me on.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Jojo Rabbit -- Wanted to love it - 6.5/10... I feel like the movie didn't hold me long enough to appreciate the payoff. I like what it was trying to accomplish, but I just couldn't sit through it ever again.

13. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Man, you better be firing up these reviews here, Buff.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Jojo Rabbit -- Wanted to love it - 6.5/10... I feel like the movie didn't hold me long enough to appreciate the payoff. I like what it was trying to accomplish, but I just couldn't sit through it ever again.
    The absurdity was quite tasteful though. Tasteful as in tasty. You have to give it that I think.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'd be interested in a review of The Lighthouse and Midsommar Director's cut.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

The absurdity was quite tasteful though. Tasteful as in tasty. You have to give it that I think.
    Yeah, I could see what it was doing and have an appreciation for it... But it felt kind of tedious to go along with it at times. I dunno - there was an enjoyment deficiency that I'm having a hard time putting my finger on.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Knives Out was a major disappointment... How was this critically acclaimed? What a waste of time. 3/10.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I'd be interested in a review of The Lighthouse and Midsommar Director's cut.
    OK so I've been circling both of these, but are they legit considerations or just fodder for this thread?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information