Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: World War II trivia

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by broncogirl7 View Post
    USS Enterprise
    USS Hornet
    USS Yorktown

What was the 4th Carrier that we started off the war with, but was sunk a month earlier at the battle of the Coral Sea?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post

What was the 4th Carrier that we started off the war with, but was sunk a month earlier at the battle of the Coral Sea?
    Well, the Yorktown almost bought it, but it was the Lexington that was
    scuttled in the battle.

At the time, the battle looked like a Japanese victory in terms of numbers
    (sunk), but the ultimate victory belonged to the Allies since two major
    Japanese carriers were taken out and were unable to take part in the next
    major battle, which was the battle of Midway. This particular battle also
    marked the beginning of the turning back of the Japanese expansion.

Here is a photo of an explosion on the Lexington from my Photobucket:

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, the Yorktown almost bought it, but it was the Lexington that was
    scuttled in the battle.

At the time, the battle looked like a Japanese victory in terms of numbers
    (sunk), but the ultimate victory belonged to the Allies since two major
    Japanese carriers were taken out and were unable to take part in the next
    major battle, which was the battle of Midway. This particular battle also
    marked the beginning of the turning back of the Japanese expansion.

Here is a photo of an explosion on the Lexington from my Photobucket:

I've been know to give an extra point or two for those who give more details then asked for. I'll give you 20 extra points for your solid assessment of the battle

Here's my personal assessment:

Picking a winner for the Battle of the Coral Sea from a tactical standpoint (meaning who endured the worst losses) is like trying to figure out who is winning a chess game while it is still being played. The chess gurus have long sense established a point system that based on what they believe to be the power that that individual piece has. Its the opinion of a friend of mine, who was a member of his high school chess club, that the knight should be worth more then a bishop. That because his knights play a more significant role in his style of play then it apparently does for the chess gurus that came up with this point system. Therefore, he would not hesitate to exchange one of his bishop for one of his opponents knights.

How does any of this apply to figuring out who won the Battle of the Coral Sea from a tactical standpoint? The following quote is an excerpt from the Encyclopædia Britannica that I have on my hard drive. (Because it is on my hard drive rather then online, I can't provide a link for you to go to.) Its a casualty list for the battle. For us to pick a tactical winner, we need to assign a point value to all of the ships on this list. This can be very subjective.

"On May 5 and 6, 1942, opposing carrier groups sought each other, and in the morning of May 7 Japanese carrier-based planes sank a U.S. destroyer and an oiler. Fletcher's planes sank the light carrier Shoho and a cruiser. The next day Japanese aircraft sank the U.S. carrier Lexington and damaged the carrier Yorktown, while U.S. planes so crippled the large Japanese carrier Shokaku that it had to retire from action."

So the Japanese casualties were...
    Ships sunk: 1 Light Carrier & 1 Cruiser
    Damaged: 1 Large Carrier (Missed the Battle of Midway and didn't return to action until August 1942, 2 months after Midway http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...-s/shokaku.htm)

US casualties were...
    Ships sunk 1 Fleet Carrier, 1 Destroyer & 1 Oiler
    Damaged: 1 Fleet Carrier (Fought in the Battle of Midway)

My score card: The US having a Fleet Carrier sunk is definitely worse that the Japanese Light Carrier. However, I believe that the Japanese loosing 1 Cruiser is far worse then us loosing a destroyer and oiler. The fact that the Yorktown was able to fight at Midway, but the Shokaku couldn't return to action until two months later, also scores heavly in favor of the US. Others may score this differently, but I score it as a tactical draw.

From a strategic perspective, the stopping of the Japanese expansion was just the tip of the iceberg. The Japanese objective was to take Port Moresby in the Southwest corner of New Guinea and Tulagi in the southern Solomons. The Japanese needed these bases for their planned invasion of Australia. The following quote is from the same Britannica article and it elaborates on why the loss was so strategically bad for Japan.

"So many Japanese planes were lost that the Port Moresby invasion force, without adequate air cover and harassed by Allied land-based bombers, turned back to Rabaul. The four-day engagement was a strategic victory for the Allies."
    Last edited by FanInAZ; 06-05-2010 at 07:30 PM.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

5. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

What is today the 66th anniversary of?

Adopted Bronco:
    Peyton Hillis...always

What is today the 66th anniversary of?
    D-Day!!!!
    "When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free"
    ~Charles Evans Hughes~

8. The Following User High Fived broncogirl7 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by broncogirl7 View Post
    D-Day!!!!
    Now your back on a role after the brutal on in TV trivia.

By the way, the one in Broncos trivia as not been correctly answered yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

What was the name of the German general that spearheaded their last offensive on the Western Front that would become known as the "Battle of the Bulge"?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

What was the name of the German general that spearheaded their last offensive on the Western Front that would become known as the "Battle of the Bulge"?
    Still needing an answer to this question.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Still needing an answer to this question.
    Lüttwitz. (I once spoke fluent German.) He is the one who gave the ultimatum,
    to which General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe replied just that: "Nuts!"
    Lüttwitz found that quite confusing. lol

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Lüttwitz. (I once spoke fluent German.) He is the one who gave the ultimatum,
    to which General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe replied just that: "Nuts!"
    Lüttwitz found that quite confusing. lol

-----
    He was in command of the German forces assigned to capture Bastogne, but he was not in overall command of the entire offensive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

He was in command of the German forces assigned to capture Bastogne, but he was not in overall command of the entire offensive.
    Uh-oh . . . well, close, eh?

The majority of my historical studies took place about, oh, 40 years ago . . .

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

15. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

von Rundstedt was over the German Army in the West and Model was in charge of the operation I think.

17. The Following User High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

What is a "Stringbag?"
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    von Rundstedt was over the German Army in the West and Model was in charge of the operation I think.
    von Rundstedt was in overall command of the German forces on the Western front and advised Hitler to much more modest objectives, but Hitler ignored him. Nevertheless, von Rundstedt was in Berlin advising Hitler. The job of leading the offensive was given to someone else.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    What is a "Stringbag?"
    Nope, In fact, I've never heard of him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information