Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ratings way down for NFL Opener.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Didn't somebody already mention this in a previous post

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    6) So many other entertainment choices; such as Netflix, 200+ cable/satellite channels (including about 2 dozen sports channels), social media, etc.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I still think the Eagles/Falcons is blah when looking at the schedule. If the NFL would of opened up with a Patriots/Broncos matchup, I bet the ratings would of been higher.
    I would disagree that a matchup of the previous two NFC champions is "blah". Broncos-Pats would have objectively been a much worse matchup. Plus, the super bowl champion always gets the kickoff game. Also, we don't play the pats this year.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I dismiss the article. It mentions cord cutting.

Are the ratings down? yes. but only if blah blah blah... cord cutting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

5. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I dismiss the article. It mentions cord cutting.

Are the ratings down? yes. but only if blah blah blah... cord cutting.
    So you're just going to ignore facts because they don't fit your narrative. Cool.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    So you're just going to ignore facts because they don't fit your narrative. Cool.
    The facts totally fit the narrative! Cord cutting. It's the answer for any question related to Tv ratings!

Are they down? Yes, but no. Also, cord cutting.
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

8. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The facts totally fit the narrative! Cord cutting. It's the answer for any question related to Tv ratings!

Are they down? Yes, but no. Also, cord cutting.
    It's a fact that football ratings have fallen at a much lower rate than other things on TV. The article detailed that pretty nicely. I'm not sure why you are so opposed to the idea that cord cutting has to do with lower ratings?
    Last edited by BroncoWave; 09-15-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

It's a fact that football ratings have fallen at a much lower rate than other things on TV. The article detailed that pretty nicely. I'm not sure why you are so opposed to the idea that cord cutting has to do with lower ratings?
    I didn't say that I was. As I said previously in the thread, I just think that the cord cutting phenomenon is such hard to quantify thing that it makes the traditional rating systems almost obsolete. Folks try to explain what they are seeing with ratings, using cord cutting, and it ends up just becoming spin to try to prove what you already think you are seeing.

If you want to see the ratings as down, you downplay the effect of it.

If you want to see the ratings as the same or stronger, you cite the effect of it.

That's all. Personally I lean toward the latter on the subject anyway. I just think how often it gets mentioned in the spin is funny. Like a drinking game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I guess we just disagree that it's "spin". I see it as a quantifiable fact.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I guess we just disagree that it's "spin". I see it as a quantifiable fact.
    Fair enough, I just don't see it as all that quantifiable. Multiple things have down ratings. One is less than the others. The reason attributed to that is spin.

But how we go from "well, it's down, but it's really up" is definitely a dead spin.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Fair enough, I just don't see it as all that quantifiable. Multiple things have down ratings. One is less than the others. The reason attributed to that is spin.

But how we go from "well, it's down, but it's really up" is definitely a dead spin.
    So if NFL ratings are down 3% and everything else on TV is down 10% (just using these as general numbers), it's spin to call that a relatively good performance?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

So if NFL ratings are down 3% and everything else on TV is down 10% (just using these as general numbers), it's spin to call that a relatively good performance?
    It's spin to call that anything other than down ratings, yes.

But I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue other than it's doing better than the other losers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's spin to call that anything other than down ratings, yes.

But I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue other than it's doing better than the other losers.
    My point is that if TV is being watched less across the board, I don't see how that's an NFL problem. Especially when they are far and away the most watched thing on TV.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

My point is that if TV is being watched less across the board, I don't see how that's an NFL problem. Especially when they are far and away the most watched thing on TV.
    You are conflating positions though. I never claimed that the NFL has a problem here. It would be odd, as I don't really think they do.

I just pointed to the cord cutting stuff as I find it funny how people latch onto it as the pivot point for all confirmation bias on the subject.

I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison. The article points out the increase in options with tv programming, which is true.

However people choosing to watching tv series and streaming movies instead of cable or major network broadcasts is a reflection of people still watching some form of acting. There is no NFL to watch on Netflix or or Amazon. The decline in NFL viewership is simply people choosing not to watch it anymore, inspite of an increase in population.

People who watch Netflix aren’t choosing to not watch directed and produced tv series anymore.

It also doesn’t reflect the decline in attendance some stadiums are having.

This in no way reflects the collapse of the NFL but it is 100% a reflection in the decline of its popularity and further suggests the NFL peaked.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison. The article points out the increase in options with tv programming, which is true.

However people choosing to watching tv series and streaming movies instead of cable or major network broadcasts is a reflection of people still watching some form of acting. There is no NFL to watch on Netflix or or Amazon. The decline in NFL viewership is simply people choosing not to watch it anymore, inspite of an increase in population.

People who watch Netflix aren’t choosing to not watch directed and produced tv series anymore.

It also doesn’t reflect the decline in attendance some stadiums are having.

This in no way reflects the collapse of the NFL but it is 100% a reflection in the decline of its popularity and further suggests the NFL peaked.
    Illegal streaming.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information