Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Grilling

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I'm wanting to purchase a Traeger, but a couple questions for you guys. I read owner's biggest cons are 'searing' their steaks, and the auger continuously getting clogged even with routine maintenance/cleaning. So, have you guys had any issues?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I'm wanting to purchase a Traeger, but a couple questions for you guys. I read owner's biggest cons are 'searing' their steaks, and the auger continuously getting clogged even with routine maintenance/cleaning. So, have you guys had any issues?
    What is the con with searing the steaks exactly? That they can't do it?

My auger clogged once after not using the grill for a while. I attributed it to living in a humid climate and the pellets absorbing some of the moisture and swelling. I could be wrong. But I cleared it with a screw driver and that was done. I vacuum out the saw dust every other grill or so and use a non-scratch Scotch-Brite pad before I cook to clean the temperature probe off. It's a little more high maintenance than your run of the mill gas grill, but the results are muy incredible.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    What is the con with searing the steaks exactly? That they can't do it?

My auger clogged once after not using the grill for a while. I attributed it to living in a humid climate and the pellets absorbing some of the moisture and swelling. I could be wrong. But I cleared it with a screw driver and that was done. I vacuum out the saw dust every other grill or so and use a non-scratch Scotch-Brite pad before I cook to clean the temperature probe off. It's a little more high maintenance than your run of the mill gas grill, but the results are muy incredible.
    Temp doesn't get hot enough.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

If you want to sear a steak, AND have the ability to do a 20+ hour low and slow smoke, then a Big Green Egg is the way to go!

Sear your steak at 700+.

I've never used a Traeger, but I think that's the biggest con on the "grilling" side. Not enough heat generation to really sear stuff, but great at smoking.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I got a good sear on my steaks with the Traeger using their helpful searing tips:

https://www.traegergrills.com/smoken...pellet-searing

7. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

I go to a steak house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I go to a steak house.
    You also eat at McDonald's. Soooo......

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

It gets plenty hot. I'm not a huge searing fan, but I think I'm in the minority there. Doing it the way I've been doing it with the hour smoke at 180 then 6-8 minutes on high gets the steaks perfect. Mine gets up to around 550 or so on high, but it's also hotter than two rats in a wool sock here so that helps.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

It gets plenty hot. I'm not a huge searing fan, but I think I'm in the minority there. Doing it the way I've been doing it with the hour smoke at 180 then 6-8 minutes on high gets the steaks perfect. Mine gets up to around 550 or so on high, but it's also hotter than two rats in a wool sock here so that helps.
    My uncle lets his steaks sit out a couple hours, then sears them in cast iron skillet with butter, then throws them on the bbq pit. Best I've ever tasted. MY FIL wants me to get a Traeger....go figure. I told him he should go buy a Traeger, so I could use it. I'll probably get one this weekend.

I'm going order an Old Smokey for quick bbq's with charcoal.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I know a couple of guys here that use a Pit Boss pellet smoker as well and love it.

15. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I know a couple of guys here that use a Pit Boss pellet smoker as well and love it.
    Every place I've been to has the Traeger brand. I read online some folks endorsing a pellet grill from Cabelas/Bass Pro (I'll have to google it again). I'm not sure if this area has either one.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Every place I've been to has the Traeger brand. I read online some folks endorsing a pellet grill from Cabelas/Bass Pro (I'll have to google it again). I'm not sure if this area has either one.
    Traeger is regarded as one of the best. My buddy uses a Pitts And Spitts but that's a little pricey for me. He's also a huge, big time BBQ master type. I've really loved what my Traeger puts out, but some of the other brands have more features, do the same thing, and cost less. The technology behind the smoker isn't really that ground-breaking. With Traeger, you're paying for the name and the resources that come along with it IMO. You could do the same thing on a $300 store-brand Costco pellet smoker.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Traeger is regarded as one of the best. My buddy uses a Pitts And Spitts but that's a little pricey for me. He's also a huge, big time BBQ master type. I've really loved what my Traeger puts out, but some of the other brands have more features, do the same thing, and cost less. The technology behind the smoker isn't really that ground-breaking. With Traeger, you're paying for the name and the resources that come along with it IMO. You could do the same thing on a $300 store-brand Costco pellet smoker.
    That's great that it puts out.

19. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

The 22 series Traeger is on sale at exchanges right now under 400$.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    You also eat at McDonald's. Soooo......
    Many people of culinary talent enjoy fast food, including McDonald's, sir.

You are a ruffian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information