Thread: Source: NFL discussing future of Pro Bowl, including possible elimination of the tackle game

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Source: NFL discussing future of Pro Bowl, including possible elimination of the tackle game

NFL owners are discussing the future of the Pro Bowl at this week's league meetings, a source confirmed to ESPN after multiple media outlets reported the news.

The league has spoken to players and NFL teams and is now exploring alternatives to the weeklong Pro Bowl celebration, which could include the elimination of the traditional tackle game, the source said.

No vote is needed to approve a change. The NFL, while exploring this with players and television partners, hopes to have a decision this summer.
    rest - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...imination-game

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Haven't watched a full probowl in several years. Bring back skills comp and just get rid of the game. Pro touch football, fun.

4. The Following 7 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

They should make it like Battle of the Network Stars back in the day. Have them in short shorts rowing row boats and playing tug of war. At least I would watch that for the laugh. The Pro Bowl is lame and has always been lame.

6. The Following 6 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Get rid of the probowl and make it a "rookie bowl" where all the rookies from that year get to play a game (kind of like the senior bowl) and enjoy being selected to the NFL that year. I would find that more entertaining than where the pro bowl currently is.

8. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dogfish

I watched it as a kid when it was tackle football and it was enjoyed.

The lack of physicality makes it meaningless.

I say just release the PB rosters and be done with it. Even bringing back the skill competitions wouldn't make me watch anymore.

10. The Following User High Fived King87 For This Post:

The pro bowl has no reason to exist. There are 32 starting QBs in the league (nominally), the two who are in the super bowl can't go to the pro bowl, that leaves 30. Of the 30, at least a few will be injured, that leaves <30 and six of them will go. That is more than 20% of all eligible starting QBs who will be pro bowlers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

There is nothing that would make me watch the pro bowl at this point. I’ll never understand why it’s no longer after the SB either. Makes it pointless.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    There is nothing that would make me watch the pro bowl at this point. I’ll never understand why it’s no longer after the SB either. Makes it pointless.
    It's been pointless for decades.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

15. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

GEM

Glad the NFL is finally doing something that makes sense. Now get rid of Thursday night games, international games, make the season 16 games again, and have only 6 teams make the playoffs. If possible, let defenders contact the QB as well.

I would prefer to not only drop the game, but have 2 Pro-Bowl rosters. One from the fans, and one voted on by players and coaches. Making the Pro-Bowl had more legitimacy before they started allowing fan votes. The media will still have their AP All-Pro team, and that seems to carry the most prestige.
    RIP BroncosFreak and OrangeMane

Lol been knowing they was ultimately leaning towards wiping this entire joke of a game off the map! It’s been such a waste of time the last 20 years for me I legit haven’t watched a pro bowl game in 15-20 year’s. The pro bowl needs to be like the NBA ALL STAR GAME, move it to a weekend with like 3-4 other event’s and make it exciting or just get rid of it all together because it’s trash

Quote Originally Posted by chanesaw View Post
    Glad the NFL is finally doing something that makes sense. Now get rid of Thursday night games, international games, make the season 16 games again, and have only 6 teams make the playoffs. If possible, let defenders contact the QB as well.

I would prefer to not only drop the game, but have 2 Pro-Bowl rosters. One from the fans, and one voted on by players and coaches. Making the Pro-Bowl had more legitimacy before they started allowing fan votes. The media will still have their AP All-Pro team, and that seems to carry the most prestige.
    Gotta keep Thursday football and the 17 games and the international stuff is good for revenue and exposure

Just stating what I would do if I were in charge. You could do things totally different, no problem. I don't think revenue or exposure were a problem though. Overexposure is starting to become a problem though.
    RIP BroncosFreak and OrangeMane

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Just do away with it all together, it's already a joke.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Back in the 80s, I looked forward to the Pro Bowl Competitions and game.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    It's been pointless for decades.
    The thing is, the two best teams have no representation in the game. That in itself is a joke. After we won our back to back SB's wasn't Elway's final pass in the NFL a TD in the Pro-Bowl? I don't think that was meaningless at the time. It is now. Plus having it in Hawaii each year was a nice cap to the season. I don't know why they messed with it, was always anticlimactic but it was at least worth a look back then and the players took it more seriously.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information