Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Who? Where? This is a thread about surprise cuts.

The Cowboys cut their #1 receiver this offseason over salary and locker room issues, and around the league we are seeing the WR position gradually becoming more of a system-based position than ever. The Broncos are paying their WRs nearly $30 million this year, and are set to pay $36 million next year. For both 2018 and 2019, this is #2 in the league. If anyone honestly doesn't think both WRs are on the trade market, they are only fooling themselves. And as we saw with TJ Ward, trade market sometimes means cut market.

Again, I don't see it happening this year, but unless Elway can squeeze a paycut from him, the positional spending just doesn't add up with what playoff teams spend. ( https://overthecap.com/positional-spending )
    Did I say this thread....and people say I'm defensive... Just saying, anytime one of these threads come up it's always DT and Von because "they cost too much" the Von talk kinda quieted down pretty hard after SB 50 though, but it'll be back. People love to worry about other people's money in football... This isn't the first time this has come up...we talk every freaking offseason about how DT needs cut or traded because someone gets obsessed with his price tag.

People get way too concerned about how much a player costs...Let the FO worry about that. At this point it's not even a surprise cut, it's a completely unfeasible cut due to cap hit. Next year, we may see him cut depending on this season's production, but I expect him to have a good enough year with a solid QB option that we'll put this to rest for awhile.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Did I say this thread....and people say I'm defensive... Just saying, anytime one of these threads come up it's always DT and Von because "they cost too much" the Von talk kinda quieted down pretty hard after SB 50 though, but it'll be back. People love to worry about other people's money in football... This isn't the first time this has come up...we talk every freaking offseason about how DT needs cut or traded because someone gets obsessed with his price tag.

People get way too concerned about how much a player costs...Let the FO worry about that. At this point it's not even a surprise cut, it's a completely unfeasible cut due to cap hit. Next year, we may see him cut depending on this season's production, but I expect him to have a good enough year with a solid QB option that we'll put this to rest for awhile.
    I absolutely care about the cap impact relative to production of any given player. No I don't care how much it takes out if the owners wallet since it's not my money, but I do care about too much of the cap being tied up in certain players thus hurting the team elsewhere.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

lol! it takes a spikerman post to stir up this much controversy in july. . .

5. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    lol! it takes a spikerman post to stir up this much controversy in july. . .
    It was UA! He suggested that Thomas could be cut this year, and now he is casually backpedaling while the thread burns!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Trade DT for Cody the great

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I absolutely care about the cap impact relative to production of any given player. No I don't care how much it takes out if the owners wallet since it's not my money, but I do care about too much of the cap being tied up in certain players thus hurting the team elsewhere.
    Why? You've been a fan long enough you should know by now that if Elway wants a player, the cap isn't going to stop him. He makes it all work out. Cap numbers can be manipulated and Elway has shown that he's very good at massaging the cap. Why spend time getting wound up about how much cap hit a player takes? Especially to the point that it makes you want (not necessarily you, but some) our top player gone.

Just chillax and let Elway handle the cap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Trade DT for Cody the great
    If he has an all pro year with Andrew Luck, will you remain a Broncos fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    It was UA! He suggested that Thomas could be cut this year, and now he is casually backpedaling while the thread burns!
    Oh the threads not burning yet. Smoldering maybe. There hasn't been any gasoline dumped on it yet so it's just causing a lot of smoke.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post

Your post was in this thread, so I'm going to reasonably assume that you're talking about this thread and the conversations in this thread. As far as guys being paid too much, the league has economics to it. For X amount of $, the player should be performing at a level consistent with what other players at his position earning that amount of money make. That's the way the league works.

Guys get cut over money. Guys get cut so young guys can play. Last year, TJ Ward was making a relatively reasonable salary for his accomplishments and history, but boom $4.5 million off the books because the Broncos wanted to get one of their young safeties into the lineup and wanted financial flexibility. If Elway was willing to cut CJ Anderson and TJ Ward over $4 and $4.5 million, DT definitely is not immune. The only thing missing has been any kind of depth at WR, which Elway has now spent multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks on the position over the last two drafts.

So with the young guys now here, and the salary still where it is, DT is definitely in a position to be cut next offseason should he not have a great year. If the young guys emerge sooner (low possibility), it's possible Elway tries to trade and then all bets might be off should his agent raise a stink. With Case, it's entirely possible DT bounces back, has a Pro Bowl year, and gets paid his full $14 million next year.

13. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

DT is Denver's best player on Offense?

I cant say that anymore, sorry. I need to see him play more and hope it was a lotta Trevor Siemien Syndrome and not Father Time. See what CK can do to resuscitate him.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

15. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

If he has an all pro year with Andrew Luck, will you remain a Broncos fan?
    I thought he was in New York

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I thought he was in New York
    Oh you're right - he went to college in Indiana and for some reason that stuck in my brain. Same question but for the Giants.

18. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    DT is Denver's best player on Offense?

I cant say that anymore, sorry. I need to see him play more and hope it was a lotta Trevor Siemien Syndrome and not Father Time. See what CK can do to resuscitate him.
    Who else on this offense plays better? If he's not the best we've got on offense currently, who is?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Oh you're right - he went to college in Indiana and for some reason that stuck in my brain. Same question but for the Giants.
    I already have one foot out the door!

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

If someone can present me some compelling evidence of someone better, I'll back off my statement. I'm seriously asking who else is better?

From PFF

Demaryius Thomas was the team's most reliable red zone weapon in 2017 - he caught 10-of-17 targets for 78 yards and five touchdowns. All told, he generated a passer rating of 109.8, the seventh-best mark among qualifying receivers.
    https://t.co/90Sbvs92gH

That was with Trevor Siemian throwing to him who was one of PFF's lowest graded QB's in the redzone (Keenum was one of the top 15 graded QBs)
    Last edited by Freyaka; 07-10-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information