Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roku TV

Default Roku TV

What do you know about it? Do you have it? Would you get it? Are there any shows that Roku has that you like?
    What is your favorite thing about Roku? I think you can watch Roku anywhere in the world as long as you have an Internet connection, right?

Tell me about this Roku!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

The Roku network is a waste of time. Having a Roku works well for us to stream Amazon, Sling and Netflix.

Summary: inexpensive and effective streaming device. Crappy channel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Roku is Roku. There is nothing special. I use Roku 3 for Netflix and NFL Sunday Ticket. The negative is... remote control batteries drain quickly. I was informed that I need to pull the headphone jack off from remote control to save battery life. Meh. This year, I am going to get Apple TV.
    Last edited by Magnificent Seven; 01-31-2018 at 08:23 PM.

I'm not sure what Roku TV is other than what they call Roku embedded in certain TVs (I could be wrong, but I think that's the case).

As to the Roku stand alone devices, they are awesome. I have three in my house, one in my RV (a stick) and I travel with one when I make extended trips to the UK.

Roku itself doesn't have content, but instead there are channels (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS Anywhere, Foxnow, Vudu, HBO Now, etc.). Some are free, some require subscriptions (HBO Now works if you have HBO on DirecTV for instance, or otherwise you need to pay HBO a monthly fee).

In terms of being a streamer, I find it worlds better than any built in (TV) or bluray streaming device.

I've been buying Roku devices since the first one released many years ago. Starting with Roku 3 (I believe) they massively improved what was previously a laggy interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Roku is Roku. There is nothing special. I use Roku 3 for Netflix and NFL Sunday Ticket. The negative is... remote control batteries drain quickly. I was informed that I need to pull the headphone jack off from remote control to save battery life. Meh. This year, I am going to get Apple TV.
    I have an Apple TV and I used it once, not it just sits and is never used.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I won an Apple TV in a contest and gave it to a girlfriend because I like Roku better. Now that so much cable/streaming, etc. is copy-protected, I use the old Roku one with RCA jacks to send signals to my DVD recorder and I can still record several things (mostly YouTube and live sporting events) for posterity.

I have switched away from Sling TV to Playstation Vue. They have a seeming unlimited DVR service and the "Core" package plus Sports Extra gives me practically every Sports station I want for about $5 more than what I was paying Sling for. I now have MLB Network, Longhorn Network, NBC Sports, CBS Sports Channel and a few others Sling doesn't offer. Plus they have "Red Zone" channel type programming for NFL, College football, College basketball, College baseball and MLB.

There are good things to say about Sling, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu but, for the sports junkie, Playstation Vue offers almost everything except ROOT sports channels for about $55/mo.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

7. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I'm not sure what Roku TV is other than what they call Roku embedded in certain TVs (I could be wrong, but I think that's the case).

As to the Roku stand alone devices, they are awesome. I have three in my house, one in my RV (a stick) and I travel with one when I make extended trips to the UK.

Roku itself doesn't have content, but instead there are channels (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, CBS Anywhere, Foxnow, Vudu, HBO Now, etc.). Some are free, some require subscriptions (HBO Now works if you have HBO on DirecTV for instance, or otherwise you need to pay HBO a monthly fee).

In terms of being a streamer, I find it worlds better than any built in (TV) or bluray streaming device.

I've been buying Roku devices since the first one released many years ago. Starting with Roku 3 (I believe) they massively improved what was previously a laggy interface.

So Roku doesn’t have channels it’s just a device that lets you watch all of those channels online? So say for example that there was a specific show or channel you did want to watch you could watch it with Roku or Apple TV or whatever?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    So Roku doesn’t have channels it’s just a device that lets you watch all of those channels online? So say for example that there was a specific show or channel you did want to watch you could watch it with Roku or Apple TV or whatever?
    Correct. That's essentially it. I don't believe Roku has rolled out any of their own channels, but they have a great number of channels from the major ones, to local news, etc. that have written Roku apps.

Personally, I think it's by far the best streaming app, just from the stand point of it having all the major channels and also ease and speed of navigation. But, it's not like say devices that you can access Koda or the like and get a bunch of illicit streams. Instead, you will be paying $6 a month for CBS Anywhere, or $8 a month for Hulu plus. Some of the networks have free channels (I think NBC does and maybe CW) but Fox requires you to login into to a cable or DirecTV account.

Thanks for the input.

They will be rolling out with their own content and at least 1 channel I know for sure.
    I wanted an unbiased opinion of what you guys know about them and what they do.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Yes, there is a Roku channel now. The content is c-.

You can watch 90’s movies for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Yes, there is a Roku channel now. The content is c-.

You can watch 90’s movies for free!

What is it? What is the show/content?
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    What is it? What is the show/content?
    Mostly on demand movies that are no longer “pay for “ . I don’t think it offers anything live. As Tned stated, it’s good for streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Sling, etc

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Mostly on demand movies that are no longer “pay for “ . I don’t think it offers anything live. As Tned stated, it’s good for streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon, Sling, etc
    ...which most TVs do now...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Very good. So it’s used pretty well then. Big audience.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information