Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Broncos- Tim Tebow's High School Coach here:

Default Hi Broncos- Tim Tebow's High School Coach here:

Dear Broncos fans,

I apologize for the length of this letter, but these facts need to be known. My name is Adam Hartle and I was the RB's coach at Nease HS in 2003 (Timmy's sophomore year) under head coach Craig Howard. He transferred to Nease from another high school because he wasn't given the opportunity to compete at the QB position in game play because of perceived mechanical issues (recurring theme as you will see). My first day on the job I hadn't quite learned all our players/coaches names yet, so when practice was over and all the coaches gathered to watch film util about 11:00 pm, I assumed the 6-3 200 pound man-child sitting next to me was a young assistant coach. Turns out it was our 15 year old QB. If the coaches were watching film until midnight, Timmy was watching film until midnight- and then he'd take the tape home and get up early and watch it again before his school work began. During workouts Timmy was the strongest kid in the weightroom. His workout partners consisted of O-linemen. Anyone who's ever coached football at any level knows how rare it is that the QB is the strongest kid on the team let alone a sophomore- Timmy was both. Coach Howard would say to me, "Adam I don't care how long you coach, you'll never see one better than that young man" and he was exactly right. What makes Timmy so great is his ability to raise the level of play of his teammates. Prior to Timmy's arrival at Nease HS there were 10 losing seasons in a row and only 2 kids were signed to play college football. During Tebow's 3 years over 25 kids were signed to play college football and they won a state championship. He fights so hard for every play and expects nothing less from his teammates.

(Here's a link to the halftime speech he gives to his teammates during Florida's BCS championship win over Sam Bradford's Sooners. Notice the change in demeanor of his teammates from when he begins to when he's done):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-qodBTlMtA

No one can rally a locker room like Tim Tebow. You guys have no idea what you got sitting on the sidelines.

During the 2004 season (Timmy's junior year of high school), I was fortunate enough to get a full time job on the coaching staff at the University of Florida as the game analysis coordinator (what you NFL'ers call quality control). It was a tumultuous season in which our staff (Coach Zook) was fired. I was fortunate enough to make a good impression on Coach Meyer and was one of the few who survived the transition and kept my job for the 2005 season. As you can imagine I was quick to tell Urban all about this stud QB recruit up in Jacksonville. Coming from Utah, he was unaware of Timmy. His OC, Dan Mullen was pushing for another recruit, Jevan Snead out of Texas as our top QB target. There were many arguments behind closed recruiting meeting doors. Mullen was concerned with Tebow's mechanics (I told you this was a recurring theme), and who do you think Urban listened to, his offensive coordinator he's known for 7 years or the low guy on the coaching staff totem pole he's known for 4 months? So Jevan Snead commits and it's not looking so good for the Gators. While this is happening Tebow has a senior season in which he breaks just about every QB record in Florida HS history on his way to a state championship and "Tebowmania" begins to sweep through Florida (much like now in Colorado- don't worry its a good thing because during game play its called "momemtum" and it starts with you guys-the fans). Urban realized that if the hometown hero went somewhere else and won a championship it was gonna be disastrous for him (Friendly advice Coach Fox- if Tebow wins a Super Bowl in a non-broncos jersey it will be a bad deal). So with only 1 month left before signing day we drop Snead and FINALLY make Tebow our #1 target. 1 week before signing day the Nease coaches tell me its 60% Alabama and 40% Florida. Ten minutes before he announces live on ESPN Coach Howard tells me he still hasn't made up his mind. Obviously he signed with the Gators and during his Freshman years the Gator fans grew tired of mediocrity (sound familiar Broncos) and started chanting "Tebow! Tebow!" and "we want Tebow...clap...clap...clap.clap.clap". His playing time increased each week and we went on to win the national championship. The next season Timmy became the 1st sophomore to win the Heisman, and the year after that we won the national championship again. In 105 years of Gator football we've won the national title 3 times. Tebow won 2 of those titles. Bronco fans, look at all the bad seasons you guys have had over the years when Elway wasn't your QB. Now look at all the great years when he was. It's very hard to win a Super Bowl without a great leader and Kyle Orton is not a leader. I'll take a winner with perceived "mechanics issues" any day over a corner sitter with a perfect release. It's about winning games- period. That's what Timmy does. If the situations were reversed and Timmy was the one getting booed last Monday night he wouldn't have pouted or lost his confidence. He would have owned up for the 2 turnovers and apologized. That's what winners do- they are harder on themselves than the fans could ever be, so some boos would have just rolled off his back.

(Watch his postgame speech after the only loss of the 2008 season here):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGv2Zw-WQw

The guy refuses to lose. That's what makes him great. Winners make corrections, losers make excuses. So I guess it was the fans fault that Orton dropped the ball in the 2nd half because his feelings got hurt? Boo freakin hoo. Maybe if an offensive TD was produced in the entire 1st half the boos wouldn't have happened. Broncos nation- You guys pay good money for these players'/coaches' salaries so don't ever feel like you can't express your opinions by chanting Tebow's name at the games. People may say, "well how would you like it if people came to your job and booed you"? To them I say "pay me 9 million a year like Orton gets and come on with it". First Cutler now Orton. Why does your organization love starting whiners? Don't you want a winner like Elway?

It's amazing how many people in the media "hate" on Tebow. They say "he can't do it in the NFL". Trust me Broncos I've heard this before. Don't buy it. They say "he's not ready". Tebow led all rookies in QB rating last year (82.5). Orton's had 7 years of experience yet his career passer rating is 79.5- less than Tebow's who has only 3 games worth of experience. Seems to me like the guy who went 3-10 last year and has been in the league 7 years might be the one who "can't do it in the NFL". They say "he's not a dropback passer". Well put him in the gun then. Tom Brady takes 75% of his snaps from the gun. Timmy's better at running downhill or rolling out than moving backwards anyways. Look at all the young QB's who have gotten more of a chance to start in the NFL than Tebow: Jimmy Clausen, Andy Dalton, Colt McCoy, Cam Newton, Sam Bradford. How come its OK for them to start in the media's eyes but not Tebow? My guess is that Coach Fox is sick of "Tebowmania" and perceives it as everyone telling him how to do his job, so he's fighting back. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Get ready for another 3-10 start Broncos unless Tebow sees the field in some capacity. Coach Fox should start embracing "Tebowmania" instead of fighting it otherwise he's dropping the ball just like Orton.

Adam Hartle
    adamhartle@yahoo.com

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Cool story! I agree 100%
    In Elway We Trust

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Am I a jerk if I assume we are being trolled when nice people post threads like this?

4. The Following 11 Users High Fived sneakers For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sneakers View Post
    Am I a jerk if I assume we are being trolled when nice people post threads like this?

Yea you can never be sure but I don't know why someone would pretend to be Adam Hartle? It'd be different if Urban Myer came on here and posted.

But good thread, I like the part about " Winners make corrections, losers make excuses"

Great quote and I agree.

But you have to understand that Kyle Gives us the best chance to win. His 3-15 record in his last 18 games proves that.
    @Tnedator

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived BroncoBJ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    broncos_mtnman

Welcome Coach.

Being an LSU fan I know exactly what Tebow's capabilities are. I also watch football with my own two eyes. I might not watch every practice, but it has been proven time and time again that some players are consumate professional practice players (Orton) and some players who are gamers and get it done.

I also fully agree with the statement about raising the level of play of those around you. I saw that in the last 3 games of 2010. We might have only gone 1-2 but it was an exciting 1-2 and were a hail mary away from being 2-1. The team reacted very positively in those last 3 games. Some say the players were releaved because McD was gone, and some of that could be true, but I credit a lot of that to Tebow being in the game.

Anyone see the last NFL commecial...I think I have seen it on ESPN? The one where Tebow says "no one carries the ball here except me". Intensisty can't be coached, matched, or given up on. My biggest fear is Tebow won't get the chance here in Denver that he needs and go someplace else.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Watchthemiddle For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sly Williams

since I can recognize heartfelt polite communication I will high five.

Tebow will get his chance. And he'll make the most of it or he won't.

I'm almost always a glass half full kinda fan.
    Hell I was still willing to give McD the benefit of the doubt till he kept running Orton out there when he was obviously injured and struggling last season.

I am hanging on to a thread (very thin) of hope that Kyle AND THE O LINE will show us something against Cinci. If not then I'm at that point officially switched.
    If Orton looks bad again this weekend then I'm done with him.
    (which I'm sure will devastate him)

IMHO, it'll have to be Tebow time. If He's bad then it's our 'suck for Luck' season, and I'll be totally ok with that too.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived SoCalImport For This Post:

I still don't think Tebow will succeed in the NFL but I really enjoyed that post. Thanks for the contribution, and Tebow is an athletic beast no doubt.

13. The Following User High Fived I Eat Staples For This Post:

SR

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoStud View Post
    Hey! Thats my gig! Dammit!

15. The Following 5 Users High Fived SOCALORADO. For This Post:

At this point I would rather see Tebow out there sucking with passion and fire then watching Orton suck with nothing, no emotion no heart, nothing. I don't know if Timmy is or will be any good. However, one thing I do know is that he will put the team on his back and will them to play to a higher level. His leadership skills are unmatched. I know he may have some throwing issues, but I also know he threw some great passes last season when he got his chance. I Vote Tebow!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Another TT worship thread. Who woulda thunk it!

I do agree with the OP's assertion that Fox doesn't like people telling him how to do his job.

Fox is the type of guy that sticks to his guns...to a fault. It is what got him run out of Carolina and it is probably going to get Tebow ran out of here, unless he heeds the advice of the OP..."Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it."

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived vandammage13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

This will stray from the topic a bit, but it leaves me wishing all HS coaches were like Tim's. My son is a junior and is a 6'4", 240 lb DE and TE. His high school has a good team, but scouting reports say their weak DL will keep them from competing. My son is better than most of the varsity linemen, but because he went on vacation with his family during spring break instead of attending "mandatory" spring practices...the coaches relegated him to the JV squad, where they have him playing DT...a position he's never played or practiced at before.

After 3 games on JV, he has 24 tackles, 9 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 5 receptions for 42 yards and 1 TD (team has only thrown 9 passes).

Yet...he still will not be promoted to help the weak varsity DL because the coach wants to prove a point. The same coach that has ended the careers of 2 good players by forcing them to practice and workout through injuries.

What makes this all sting more, is my son has been approached by a Texas Tech scout...but cant show his abilities.

My point to all of this is it makes me wonder how many athletes never get a chance to prove anything due to idiot coaches and their politics. How many All Star athletes are working regular jobs because of poor decisions by coaches in their lives? Not to assume my son would play D1 football or ever play in the NFL, but i'd like to see him be given the opportunity to prove it on his own.

Same with Tebow. It seems he's relegated to the assumption that his mechanics and style will never allow him to succeed. I know coaches are paid to make those decisions, but i'd also like to see him get the opportunity to prove it one way or the other before we potentially throw away a winner. Just like my son's high school...what do we have to lose? We're already weak at the position. At some point, we have to see what we have instead of holding off just to prove a point.

Kind of a long way to make my point, but I guess when you can relate to it, it creates a different perspective

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    This will stray from the topic a bit, but it leaves me wishing all HS coaches were like Tim's. My son is a junior and is a 6'4", 240 lb DE and TE. His high school has a good team, but scouting reports say their weak DL will keep them from competing. My son is better than most of the varsity linemen, but because he went on vacation with his family during spring break instead of attending "mandatory" spring practices...the coaches relegated him to the JV squad, where they have him playing DT...a position he's never played or practiced at before.

After 3 games on JV, he has 24 tackles, 9 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 FF, 5 receptions for 42 yards and 1 TD (team has only thrown 9 passes).

Yet...he still will not be promoted to help the weak varsity DL because the coach wants to prove a point. The same coach that has ended the careers of 2 good players by forcing them to practice and workout through injuries.

What makes this all sting more, is my son has been approached by a Texas Tech scout...but cant show his abilities.

My point to all of this is it makes me wonder how many athletes never get a chance to prove anything due to idiot coaches and their politics. How many All Star athletes are working regular jobs because of poor decisions by coaches in their lives? Not to assume my son would play D1 football or ever play in the NFL, but i'd like to see him be given the opportunity to prove it on his own.

Same with Tebow. It seems he's relegated to the assumption that his mechanics and style will never allow him to succeed. I know coaches are paid to make those decisions, but i'd also like to see him get the opportunity to prove it one way or the other before we potentially throw away a winner. Just like my son's high school...what do we have to lose? We're already weak at the position. At some point, we have to see what we have instead of holding off just to prove a point.

Kind of a long way to make my point, but I guess when you can relate to it, it creates a different perspective
    Great post. Just be sure to tell your son not to write any books anytime soon. He might get labeled as a selfish a-hole.

Adopted Bronco:

Best thing about my son...he takes it in stride and does his job. In a way, its a good lesson to learn.

No matter how good you are at something, there is always someone above you that can diminish it and screw you.

23. The Following 9 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information