Thread: The Ringer: Von Miller's wonderfully wacky world

Default The Ringer: Von Miller's wonderfully wacky world

Fun read on the face of our franchise. Some highlights (football and otherwise):

Star football players tend to be boring. Getting creative and adventurous on the field and deviating from the plan can cost a player his spot in the league. Football players are trained to follow rules and regulations, and for the successful ones, that extends to consuming as much film study as possible.

Miller is the exception. “I watch film on my iPad and stuff, but, not really,” Miller says with a laugh. Unless it is the playoffs — more on that later — he’s totally finished with football once he’s home each day. He tries to complete all of his game preparation and film study at the team facility so that he can use his free time to be free: namely, to watch National Geographic or dive into a new online theory. This offseason he’s become intrigued by the last ice age, and more recently by a creature called “Haast’s eagle,” which piqued Miller’s interest by going extinct because its primary food source, the flightless moa, went extinct due to hunting by humans and other causes.

“I spend a lot of time looking up extinct animals,” he says. Miller describes this chain of events as though spending hours learning about Haast’s eagle was a highlight of his offseason. He’s particularly fascinated by the moa going extinct so quickly. It took only 100 years, he says. “That is so super fast. It normally takes at least 1,000 years. But that’s what happens. Humans hunted the moa to extinction, and the Haast’s eagle went extinct right after because that’s what he ate.” (Dinosaurs are not a part of Miller’s fascination with the extinction process because “everyone already talks about them.”)
    In recent seasons, Miller has sat at the computer and watched every (Derrick) Thomas interview he could find, seeking to learn about the mindset of someone he so admired. Miller kept clicking until he found something that changed his perspective about his position, eventually stumbling upon Thomas discussing how he imagined that he played offense. “He felt like the offensive linemen were on defense and trying to stop him, as if he was a running back,” Miller says. “And when he explained himself, I saw myself. I’ve never felt like I was going to stop the offense. The guys behind me are trying to stop all those guys. I’m trying to get after the quarterback.”
    Miller admits he’s thought about changing his habits and focusing more on football after hours. During the playoffs, he dialed back his internet usage and ignored social media, and he had the run of his life. “Maybe this season I should try that every single week,” he says.
    https://theringer.com/von-miller-den...bc8#.qxym9zvko

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

If he's that dialed in during the season, he will have big year.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information