Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Default Classical Thread

I don't know how successful this will be. But my love for classical presses me to do it.
    For starters. here's Yulianna Avdeeva in Ballade in F minor, Op. 52 (third stage, 2010)

Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

2. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I like Yulianna Avdeeva. I heard her because I followed the 2010 International Chopin Competition. She won that year, beating Ingolf Wunder. I think Wunder should have won. Here's a youtube comment that sums up my thoughts on it.
    2010 International Chopin Piano Competition Scandal
    Throughout the competition, Wunder was widely believed to be the best competitor as the audience favorite and leader in points. However, in the last stage of the competition, the judges scrapped the points system being used and evaluated the winner solely based on the final round. Although Wunder won the prize for Best Concerto (the final stage), he
    was not given the gold medal (awarded to Yulianna Avdeeva.) This created outrage among the Warsaw public, proclaiming the events a scandal similar to the Ivo Pogorelich case of the 1980 competition.
    Wunder actually had the highest score of the competition, weird that he didn't win.

Wunder plays the piano like I would play it, if I had the talent and had obsessed on it in my teens instead of in my late 30's.

You know, you can take a piece of music and make it say different things, he makes it say the things I would say.

Worth a watch to see his pianogasms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

4. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I am a classical music nerd. It took me a lot of effort to learn to appreciate classical, but I'm glad I made the effort.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Mussorgsky is why I ever even gave classical a chance.

Especially good is 24:00 to the end. It's like the composer taps into feelings that never existed before he penned them. For example, 29:56 thru 30:54, I don't know how you put that feeling into words.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 07-24-2017 at 02:11 AM.

8. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I enjoy classical too. It's my go to music when I'm getting my wife in the mood.

10. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I like Yulianna Avdeeva. I heard her because I followed the 2010 International Chopin Competition. She won that year, beating Ingolf Wunder. I think Wunder should have won. Here's a youtube comment that sums up my thoughts on it.

Wunder actually had the highest score of the competition, weird that he didn't win.

Wunder plays the piano like I would play it, if I had the talent and had obsessed on it in my teens instead of in my late 30's.

You know, you can take a piece of music and make it say different things, he makes it say the things I would say.

Worth a watch to see his pianogasms.
    I like the way he becomes so emotionally involved. It takes his music to another level.

What impresses me about Avdeeva is the seemingly effortless way her fingers flit over the keys.
    Here is her performance of Chopin's Etude in A Minor (as I mentioned to you in a PM, my favorite piece):

Last edited by topscribe; 07-24-2017 at 10:44 PM.

12. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

What the heck, I'll put it here, too (besides the Guitar thread).

14. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

That was impressive, but it was most certainly not the moonlight sonata 😆

Bach was the composer who turned me on to classical. His music still takes me away

Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 07-27-2017 at 08:32 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

The first piece of classical I learned to play on guitar was Bach. This one:

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    The first piece of classical I learned to play on guitar was Bach. This one:

Good stuff

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Nice. Really nice.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That was impressive, but it was most certainly not the moonlight sonata 
    Well, yes it is. Moonlight Sonata consisted of three movements.
    Here is Valentina Lisitsa playing all three. When she gets to the 3rd, you'll see the similarity.
    Granted, Tina S.'s version is on steroids, but it is the 3rd movement.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, yes it is. Moonlight Sonata consisted of three movements.
    Here is Valentina Lisitsa playing all three. When she gets to the 3rd, you'll see the similarity.
    Granted, Tina S.'s version is on steroids, but it is the 3rd movement.

I listened for rhythmic similarities but didn't pick up any. I have listened to the moonlight sonata countless times over the years. However I will admit I only listened to half her piece. I'll take your word for it and revisit it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I listened for rhythmic similarities but didn't pick up any. I have listened to the moonlight sonata countless times over the years. However I will admit I only listened to half her piece. I'll take your word for it and revisit it.
    Tina has done that before, take a piece such as that and fuel it with nitro.
    Kind of like what Steve Vai did to Paganini's 5th Caprice, or what Malmsteen
    Yngwie did to the Trilogy Suite Op. 5, only she took it a step further. Maybe two.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information