Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: hello broncosforum.

Shannon Sharpe is widely regarded as one of the best receiving TEs in NFL history. Changed the way the game was played.

Don't forget he was on the same teams getting 800+ yards those years too.

DT couldn't hold Rod's jock. Rod Smith could jump in a time machine at 24 and perform in this league. DT could not step back in time and play in that league.

2. The Following User High Fived CoryWinget81 For This Post:

So the bigger, stronger, faster, and more takentes guy would fail against lesser competition?

And the fact that Smith was advantaged by a stud TE helps his case? Man...that's something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    So the bigger, stronger, faster, and more takentes guy would fail against lesser competition?

And the fact that Smith was advantaged by a stud TE helps his case? Man...that's something else.
    Yeah and he wouldn't last a whole season. Maybe not even half. My guess is he'd drop even MORE passes because he'd be getting plugged every time he touched something. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Shows up when everyone else has already left. Waste of money and talent, IMO.

5. The Following User High Fived CoryWinget81 For This Post:

If you have a pie and someone comes in and eats some of that pie before you get your cut, you are going to be left with less pie.

The yards are the pie... This isn't hard logic VK, I suspect you are being intentionally difficult in this instance.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I like pie.
    I'm just over here trying to make ya'll hungry talking about pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    If you have a pie and someone comes in and eats some of that pie before you get your cut, you are going to be left with less pie.

The yards are the pie... This isn't hard logic VK, I suspect you are being intentionally difficult in this instance.
    But the 'best' people get the most pie. We've seen instances where adding/having another star has helped player's production and hurt it. I shouldn't act like the point I made was definitive, but it's as defensible as yours.

He had a good career. Not a great career in terms of production. He had a handful of great years. He was not churning them out.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Shannon Sharpe is widely regarded as one of the best receiving TEs in NFL history. Changed the way the game was played.

Don't forget he was on the same teams getting 800+ yards those years too.

DT couldn't hold Rod's jock. Rod Smith could jump in a time machine at 24 and perform in this league. DT could not step back in time and play in that league.
    While I disagree with King's assessment of Smith, your last paragraph is absurd.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Mo, I've reconsidered my position.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    While I disagree with King's assessment of Smith, your last paragraph is absurd.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Rod had to survive with people trying to knock his head off, and he was already undersized. DT plays in an era where it's illegal to hit WRs. That's where I draw my conclusion from.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Rod had to survive with people trying to knock his head off, and he was already undersized. DT plays in an era where it's illegal to hit WRs. That's where I draw my conclusion from.
    Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but it's extremely narrow.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

But the 'best' people get the most pie. We've seen instances where adding/having another star has helped player's production and hurt it. I shouldn't act like the point I made was definitive, but it's as defensible as yours.

He had a good career. Not a great career in terms of production. He had a handful of great years. He was not churning them out.
    He had 6 1000+ seasons in a row from 97-02 (he was in the top 10 4 times in that stretch and top 5 twice for yards) and 8 total seasons over 1000.

TO who most view as one of the all time greats during the same era as Rod Smith averaged 1,062 yards per season. Smith averaged 949 (and really, if you subtract the two seasons where he started a grand total of one game per year, he averaged 1,100)

He didn't just have a handful of great years, he had a great freaking career. He ended his career with 4k less yards than TO while playing 4 less years than TO.

I didn't read any of that because of the meme. Which triggered me. Because those movies were bad. I did note you're making the thousand yard argument...which isn't that great because it never gets you into the top five. I noted many years where the season in question -his 1,222 year- wouldn't have been a top five year and was a top five year in a down year for the league's WR's.

However, Rod Smith did have some monster years. As such, because of those years, and the fact that he was often not elite but just under that, I've changed my position that he was more than a good WR and is a borderline HoFer.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but it's extremely narrow.
    Noted.

This is a good time to say that I normally belay arguing who was better over different generations. Everything is based in opinion, and comparing players from the late 90s to this era of football is apples and oranges.
    s

17. The Following User High Fived CoryWinget81 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You underrate him.

Also important to note that Smith also had one of the most dominant running backs ever on the same team from 1995-1998 (4 years).
    King did the same with T. Davis and then changed his tune later. :shrugs:

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information