Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos DT Derek Wolfe is quickly making up for lost time

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos DT Derek Wolfe is quickly making up for lost time

As the Broncos were busy trying to get of the NFL draft's first round last April, they still had their eyes on the guy they believed could be a productive part of their defensive front.

A guy they believed would be more productive than most of the other, more high-profile names that had been floated around them leading up to the draft.

So, when, two trades later, the Broncos finally made their first pick, at 36th overall, it was Derek Wolfe.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ckly-making-up

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Wolfe is everything as a pass rusher that Robert Ayers isn't. He should get some quality time in the rotation as a rookie.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I hope becomes huge for us. I'd love to see him in the middle for years to come.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Anxious to see him play come Sept 9, unless BRONCOS get some preseason games on tv before.

Miller last year was a beast in pass rush, if Wolfe is too I think people are gonna have to admit this Elway Guy knows a thing or two about drafting talented pass rushers...Hmmmmm

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If he's what the Broncos hope he is, you have four guys (Miller, Dumervil, Wolfe, Ayers) that could line up just about anywhere on passing downs. That could be pretty sweet. And if Warren and Vickerson can plug the middle on other downs, this is a very good group.

Two ifs there, though.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

every thing I hear about the defense makes us sound TOO pre-occupied with the pass! opponents will br trying to run the ball down our throats, first and foremost. if we cant stop the run all this pass defense pre-occupation will blow up in our face!

now about wolfe...
    we "passed' (pardon the pun) on a lot of talented guys and dropped down, doing so, to get this hand selected guy on the team! he represents TWO opportunities to draft in the first round, so in my mind, he better be starter material THIS YEAR !

with all this versatility that made him so attractive, I dont want to hear there isnt a place for him on the line, especially OUR line!
    of course I wish him well and HOPE he is a beast against the run and pass, but given what we did to get him, my expectations are HIGH and I am not in the mood for excuses !
    CAN WE PLEASE JUST SKIP ALL THE NONESENSE AND JUST TALK FOOTBALL?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Chef Zambini For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Zambini View Post
    every thing I hear about the defense makes us sound TOO pre-occupied with the pass! opponents will br tryiung to runt he ball down our throats, first and foremost. if we cant stop the run all this pass defense pre-occupation will blow up in our face!

now about wolfe...
    we "passed' (pardon the pun) on a lot of talented guys and dropped down, doing so, to get this hand selected guy on the team! he represents TWO opportunities to draft in the first round, so in my mind, he better be starter material THIS YEAR !

with all this versatility that made him so attractive, I dont want to hear there isnt a place for him on the line, especially OUR line!
    of course I wish him well and HOPE he is a beast against the run and pass, but given what we did to get him, my expectations are HIGH and I am not in the mood for excuses !
    It's not 1995 anymore. Hell, it's not even 2000.

Teams pass, more and more, so you need to be versatile at getting to the quarterback. That IS the most important thing for a defense to do.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    It's not 1995 anymore. Hell, it's not even 2000.

Teams pass, more and more, so you need to be versatile at getting to the quarterback. That IS the most important thing for a defense to do.
    I dont entirely disagree with that MO, but I have seen other teams as recently as last year gear up to be stingy against the pass bringing in high profile corner talent and pass rush talent, only to be torn to pieces by the run game and a TE specific passing attack.
    I coined the phrase,
    "attack the pass at the point of origin".
    but if you cant run the ball or stop the run, you will be holding on to a stat sheet, not the trophy, at the end of the season.
    its called the LOMBARDI trophy for a reason.
    let me know when they change it to the CORYELL trophy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I dont entirely disagree with that MO, but I have seen other teams as recently as last year gear up to be stingy against the pass bringing in high profile corner talent and pass rush talent, only to be torn to pieces by the run game and a TE specific passing attack.
    I coined the phrase,
    "attack the pass at the point of origin".
    but if you cant run the ball or stop the run, you will be holding on to a stat sheet, not the trophy, at the end of the season.
    its called the LOMBARDI trophy for a reason.
    let me know when they change it to the CORYELL trophy.
    The trophy is named after the first coach to ever win a Super Bowl. To not acknowledge that times have changed is ignorant.

And you didn't "coin" that phrase...

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The trophy is named after the first coach to ever win a Super Bowl. To not acknowledge that times have changed is ignorant.

It's pretty funny that he doesn't know why it's called the Lombardi trophy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wolfe is everything as a pass rusher that Robert Ayers isn't. He should get some quality time in the rotation as a rookie.
    robs two sack game at the end of the season says different. I like Ayers for 7 sacks this year. Which perfect opposite doom

every thing I hear about the defense makes us sound TOO pre-occupied with the pass! opponents will br trying to run the ball down our throats, first and foremost. if we cant stop the run all this pass defense pre-occupation will blow up in our face!

now about wolfe...

Good because when Wolfe was asked what he'd rather do, rush the passer or stop the run, Wolfe replied with: I LIKE TO KICK ASS!

There's no room in this man for excuses. Keep your expectations high and be sure to howl at the moon; because some just guys play pissed off.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

18. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    george floyd little

yes I did! find it elswhere, other than my posts at the freak over 8 years ago !

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    robs two sack game at the end of the season says different. I like Ayers for 7 sacks this year. Which perfect opposite doom
    Ayers has 4.5 sacks in 42 regular season games. That's even playing the pass rushing DT sandwiched inbetween Doom and Miller last season. It's pathetic. Watch his time decrease more and more as the season goes on. By mid-season if not sooner, Wolfe will be the rush DT and Ayers will be watching on the sidelines on passing downs.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information