Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Chargers file for relocation to LA

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Maybe they should have ponied up some $$ to build a new stadium, or share in the cost.

Developers for the new L.A. Stadium and Entertainment District announced on Thursday that the opening date for the future home of the Los Angeles Chargers has been moved to the summer of 2020. Click here to read the developers full statement on the decision.

Since breaking ground last November, notable progress has been made on the much-anticipated project. Construction teams have fully excavated over six million cubic yards of dirt, while piles to support the stadium bowl and foundations for the roof structure are in place.

However, a number of factors led to the decision to push the opening of the new stadium at Hollywood Park from 2019 to 2020.

First off, record-setting rainfall over the winter created significant delays from January through March. Extensive climate research done before construction began allotted for a budget of 30 days for the entirety of the construction. However, the six-month timeframe from October through April alone produced 120-percent the amount of rain for a typical year. In fact, in January the region was on pace for the fifth-wettest winter in eighty years.

The heavy rainfall occurred during a critical time as there was nowhere for the water to go but to the bottom of a 70-foot deep hole. As a result, construction wasn’t able to proceed on other phases of the site. The new target date of 2020 affords additional flexibility while allowing construction to continue on a more conventional pace.

As a result, the Chargers will now play at StubHub Center through the 2019 season.
    http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/05...ict-moved-2020

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Our division is all weird now. At least KC stayed put so we can always look forward to games in Arrowhead.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Gods tears flooded the devils hole

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

NFL responds to report that failing Chargers could end up back in San Diego

The Chargers are only four weeks into their first season of playing in Los Angeles and things already look like a disaster.

Not only have TV ratings for the team bombed in the L.A. area, but they've been unable to fill the stadium to capacity for any game this season despite the fact that they play in a building that only seats 27,000 people. And even when fans do show up, none of them are there to cheer for the Chargers.

As many Eagles players noted after Philadelphia's 26-24 over the Chargers on Sunday, almost everyone on the visitors' sideline thought it felt like a home game, even though they were playing in a city that's roughly 2,700 miles away from Philly.

As unhappy as the NFL might be about the situation, the league made it clear this week that it has no plans to move the Chargers back to San Diego. During a conference call on Tuesday, NFL vice president of communications Joe Lockhart was asked about the possibility of the Chargers making another move.

"The only place I've heard that, is that I've seen it on the internet," Lockhart said, via USA Today. "There are no discussions of returning to San Diego from the league or from the club."

The NFL might not be worried about the Chargers now, but they have to play in their tiny stadium for the next three seasons (2017-2019). If they struggle to sell out 27,000 seats, the NFL might have a problem when it's time for them to move into the new stadium in L.A., which is expected to seat roughly 70,000 fans.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...-in-san-diego/
    Note that the wording isn't something along the lines of, "there's no way they will be moving from LA," but that is seems carefully worded to leave the door open.

San Antonio Chargers?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Note that the wording isn't something along the lines of, "there's no way they will be moving from LA," but that is seems carefully worded to leave the door open.

San Antonio Chargers?
    If the Chargers would somehow move to SA (the league would have to compensate that criminal Jerry Jones if this happened), they should leave the Chargers nickname and history with San Diego, and take a new name, like the Gunslingers (their USFL nickname. I don't care if it isn't politically correct).

7. The Following User High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    If the Chargers would somehow move to SA (the league would have to compensate that criminal Jerry Jones if this happened), they should leave the Chargers nickname and history with San Diego, and take a new name, like the Gunslingers (their USFL nickname. I don't care if it isn't politically correct).
    It's ridiculous a football-crazy state like TX has 50% MORE residents yet one LESS pro team than FL and NY. A place with enough people generally and football fans in particular that it SINGLEHANDEDLY sustained an entire college CONFERENCE for >80 years. San Antonio's a huge market too, especially when Austin's counted; I'd rather try to sell tickets there than say, Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. Even with Toronto, there's no way Buffalo would still have a team if it weren't an original AFL franchise.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    ... Even with Toronto, there's no way Buffalo would still have a team if it weren't an original AFL franchise.
    Buffalo fans love their Bills, and support them even when they suck. Which has been a lot during the 21st Century. They have a large elderly stadium with crappy weather and they still manage to sell a lot of tickets. Moving the Bills would be damned near criminally stupid.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yeah, Bills fans are a special breed. Go on youtube and search "bills mafia" if you want some solid entertainment. Lots of fun videos of drunk Bills fans jumping through tables at tailgates.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Buffalo fans love their Bills, and support them even when they suck. Which has been a lot during the 21st Century. They have a large elderly stadium with crappy weather and they still manage to sell a lot of tickets. Moving the Bills would be damned near criminally stupid.
    Their stadium is 4 years younger than I am

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...iums/BUF00.htm
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    If you say so; it's your neck of the woods. But while the Bills and (to a lesser extent) their AFCE opponents may like their share of the gate at Rich Stadium (or whatever it's called these days) I bet the other 28 owners would prefer the revenue bump from selling Bills jerseys and hats somewhere with >200,000 residents.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

somebody should tell LA they have two football teams.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Somebody should tell STL they don't have a football team.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Somebody should tell STL they don't have a football team.
    doesnt even make sense scrooge

The Rams are a well balanced, fun team to watch. They might actually work out in LA.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 12-11-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information