4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

2. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Are you suggesting that if Shurmur looked at Lindsay as an inscrutable jigsaw piece that Lindsay might not excel?

I'm fine with the GM making solid moves according to a vision, and apparently that vision doesn't include Lindsay. So be it, we move on.

In general, it seems foolish to me for the OC responsible for the highest-turnover offense in the league, which also most highly correlates to the most team losses, not to value 600 touches and 0 fumbles.
    Ultimately I think you need to be able to contribute more that not fumbling. If he's going to be such a liability in the passing game you can't put him on the field for passing plays, it's hard to justify a big role for him.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Are you suggesting that if Shurmur looked at Lindsay as an inscrutable jigsaw piece that Lindsay might not excel?

I'm fine with the GM making solid moves according to a vision, and apparently that vision doesn't include Lindsay. So be it, we move on.

In general, it seems foolish to me for the OC responsible for the highest-turnover offense in the league, which also most highly correlates to the most team losses, not to value 600 touches and 0 fumbles.
    Does the OC execute the plays and turn the ball over? Or does he call the plays with the expectation that a player will not turn it over? Shurmur has ALWAYS valued and utilized backs that can catch out of the backfield. Heavy workloads and pass catching are not Lindsay's area, so...we find the players to fit the system.

This isn't high school where you are limited to the players that live in a specific neighborhood and you have to adapt to the talent you are given. It's the NFL, where you find players that can execute the system you are running. Keeping a one trick pony in the backfield makes as much sense as drafting a 4-3 defensive end for a Fangio defense. You won't see that happen and I'll let you guess why

6. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Justin Simmons 2.0

8. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Justin Simmons 2.0
    Ive heard he is awesome but not the best fit for fanio scheme for one reason or another? hes more man or somthing I do not know.

Tell me about him as I have heard he is really good.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Ive heard he is awesome but not the best fit for fanio scheme for one reason or another? hes more man or somthing I do not know.

Tell me about him as I have heard he is really good.
    Great against the run and the pass...was covering WR's during Senior Bowl week better than the CB's were...fits nicely at SS in nickel and dime packages...brings a special teams mentality to the field...very scheme diverse...

He's probably a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick, so I'd love to get him with our 2nd rounder. He won't be available after that. Any safeties rated ahead of him will be long gone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Then we get one that has had success for a long time
    I get what you are saying that Shurmur is the OC with possibly the most league cred in recent history, but I look at Shurmur's resume and fail to see any success. If anything, feels like there's some sort of crony Minnesota/Denver connection on the executive level--Keenum, Paton, Kubiak, Shurmur. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

As far as the numbers go, in 13 seasons, his offenses have barely been top 10 three times, and two of those are when Chip Kelly was running the offense. The year in Minnesota when he was the OC of the #10 offense, he benefitted from the league's #1 defense--he was playing from the ladies' tees.

Is that success?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shurmdog.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	18440

Dude is mediocre if results are the measure. His performance last year was along the same lines if not worse.

As far as it being irrational or w/e to blame Shurmur for Lindsay's woes, that doesn't seem odd to me. The OC should use the talent on the roster, not force squares into round holes. Isn't that good coaching 101?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Does the OC execute the plays and turn the ball over? Or does he call the plays with the expectation that a player will not turn it over? Shurmur has ALWAYS valued and utilized backs that can catch out of the backfield. Heavy workloads and pass catching are not Lindsay's area, so...we find the players to fit the system.

This isn't high school where you are limited to the players that live in a specific neighborhood and you have to adapt to the talent you are given. It's the NFL, where you find players that can execute the system you are running. Keeping a one trick pony in the backfield makes as much sense as drafting a 4-3 defensive end for a Fangio defense. You won't see that happen and I'll let you guess why
    In that case I'm looking forward to great things when we get players that fit his system.

I'm not sure that Lindsay is one-trick pony as you say, but it doesn't matter since the die is already cast.

I'd like to see the difference between offensive production during Lindsay's snaps and during the snaps of other backs for the 3 years Phil has taken snaps at RB.

I understand Phil has significant limitations and I'm not an expert who can *know* things correctly based on intuition and eye-test alone. Perhaps you are, perhaps Shurmur is, either way the numbers and results will bear it out.

But I'd like to see the 3yr differential on offense through that one metric--production/Yards-per-play when Phil takes a snap vs when he doesn't. If it's worse when he's in then I'm the dummy.

And yeah, Shurmur isn't fumbling the ball himself, but he can make choices about which players take snaps. The turnovers make it hard to win games. Maybe MG3 saved some pass pro QB fumbles--I get that Phil is a limited player.

Bottom line it seems like there is a spot on every NFL roster for a player like Lindsay, and that player helps the team win more games. I see it as an indictment on Shurmur's abilities that he was unable to get that out of Lindsay.

But wtf do I know??
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:

I get what you are saying that Shurmur is the OC with possibly the most league cred in recent history, but I look at Shurmur's resume and fail to see any success. If anything, feels like there's some sort of crony Minnesota/Denver connection on the executive level--Keenum, Paton, Kubiak, Shurmur. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

As far as the numbers go, in 13 seasons, his offenses have barely been top 10 three times, and two of those are when Chip Kelly was running the offense. The year in Minnesota when he was the OC of the #10 offense, he benefitted from the league's #1 defense--he was playing from the ladies' tees.

Is that success?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shurmdog.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	18440

Dude is mediocre if results are the measure. His performance last year was along the same lines if not worse.

As far as it being irrational or w/e to blame Shurmur for Lindsay's woes, that doesn't seem odd to me. The OC should use the talent on the roster, not force squares into round holes. Isn't that good coaching 101?
    And quite honestly...I think he used Lindsay as best he could...but did it within his system. He's not going to change his playbook for one player, especially when that player ends up missing 5 games.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Shurmur has been good enough at OC to get a HC gig ... twice.

He runs ONLY his scheme, which frustrates even me, but he’s a legit NFL OC.

If he ends up getting replaced I’ll be fine to see him go, especially if he’s the kind of OC that has to have Scrubby Doo “Coach on the field “ QB, but he’s far more accomplished than Lindsay ... this drama makes no sense.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

And quite honestly...I think he used Lindsay as best he could...but did it within his system. He's not going to change his playbook for one player, especially when that player ends up missing 5 games.
    Agree. It's unreasonable to warp an offense to a unique piece unless it's winning more games (maybe Tyreek Hill is an example?) Bc when the piece is gone then you are maybe sunk.

I'm actually not a Lindsay fanboi. I just like that he looks explosive, doesn't fumble, has swagger. It just *seems* wrong to me that he's not more prominent. I wish I could see the numbers of how his limitations are a detriment. I wish I could understand if he's not good out of the backfield as a receiver (wasn't he decent a CU?)

Whatevs. I am honestly good with seeing Shurmur have full reign and executing his vision. I'd like to see good shit happen.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

As long as we’re ignoring injury history Malik Hooker would be a good Buy Low Safety option.

Sign me up.
    “When we do find that guy, we’ve got to have the continuity on the offensive side to where we can train him and develop him and get him there. This is our fourth offense in probably three or four years. Quarterbacks need to be developed. You don’t find one ready-made. We got to have a solid system in place for when we do go after whatever guy it may be, a young guy or a trade or whatnot.”
    - John Elway

19. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

he’s far more accomplished than Lindsay ... this drama makes no sense.
    Idk about 'far more'. Lindsay did get the rookie pro bowl nod. That has to mean something.

Shurmur may be legit, but there's probably some vague equivalence in terms of OC-talent and RB-talent.

To be clear: I am in favor of cheap contract RBs who don't turn the ball over (ie replaceable). If Phil is gone, or if he stays, I wish him the best in his career and hope he finds a place that allows him to do his thang.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Agree. It's unreasonable to warp an offense to a unique piece unless it's winning more games (maybe Tyreek Hill is an example?) Bc when the piece is gone then you are maybe sunk.

I'm actually not a Lindsay fanboi. I just like that he looks explosive, doesn't fumble, has swagger. It just *seems* wrong to me that he's not more prominent. I wish I could see the numbers of how his limitations are a detriment. I wish I could understand if he's not good out of the backfield as a receiver (wasn't he decent a CU?)

Whatevs. I am honestly good with seeing Shurmur have full reign and executing his vision. I'd like to see good shit happen.
    The tweet thread Buff linked gave some great stats suggesting why he hasn't been a winning player. Here are some of them.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Why does this feel like a funeral?

I still think there’s a good chance Lindsay comes back.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information