Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Safest Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I agree that spending the fifth overall choice on a pure guard is lunacy. Better to trade down into the mid-first and get him there or just take a pure LT and move over Bolles to RT. A guard's skill set is just too common to sink that much money into unless he's the steroid-induced spawn of John Hannah (another Patriot).
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Nelson is unbelievable. The idea that guards aren't important is also weird to me, considering our O-Line is a sieve through which the destruction of our offense pours on a play-by-play basis. IMO Paradis has underperformed almost solely because his guards have been wet piles of shit oozing all over the field. If there was a comparable OT in the top-10 I would suggest that, but I haven't seen any OL in college within shouting distance of Nelson. I would absolutely take him and lock in that position for a decade of Pro Bowl performance.

Here are the early-to-mid-round picks Denver has spent on the OL:

Orlando Franklin, OT, 2nd
    Philip Blake, G/C, 4th
    Michael Schofield, who cares because he's ass
    Max Garcia, 4th
    Connor McGovern, 5th
    Garrett Bolles, 1st

How many of those are backups, or gone, or worthless? How many more picks should Denver spend on players who have never been and will never be good?

The Broncos need a better OL, and over-drafting a Pro Bowler is better than correctly drafting a practice squad player. If the Broncos feel like they could move back a few spots and still get Nelson, fine. It's playing with fire, but Denver needs the infusion of talent and extra picks help.

But drafting a QB we cannot protect to play next to running backs who can't go anywhere and receivers who are not given the opportunity to catch the ball because their QB is always on his back isn't helpful.

QB Sacks (of own QB):
    Jaguars (and Steelers): 24
    Rams: 28
    Titans: 35
    Eagles: 36
    Broncos: 52

It's so weird how keeping your QB upright really helps him succeed, even if he's raw or limited. Sacks go down when you can run on first and second down. They go down when there's a semblance of a pocket. It's not just from the outside, and you can scheme TE help and chips and other things for an edge rusher if the REST OF THE POCKET holds up. Guards help with that. Terrific guards help even more.

Nelson is a terrific guard, and I would have zero issues with the Broncos taking him at #5, or a few picks thereafter. If Denver had won its last game and got the #10 pick we would be praying he falls to us. Now we don't need luck.

That's something to be happy about. One of the tenets of a good deal is that if you find something that is exactly what you want, and exactly what you need, then you don't chisel about price. Walking out of the store without the perfect thing will not make you happier because of the dollars you "saved." Just pay the draft price and add the great player. Denver needs as many great players as it can get.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

3. The Following 9 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Nelson is unbelievable. The idea that guards aren't important is also weird to me, considering our O-Line is a sieve through which the destruction of our offense pours on a play-by-play basis. IMO Paradis has underperformed almost solely because his guards have been wet piles of shit oozing all over the field. If there was a comparable OT in the top-10 I would suggest that, but I haven't seen any OL in college within shouting distance of Nelson. I would absolutely take him and lock in that position for a decade of Pro Bowl performance.

Nelson is a terrific guard, and I would have zero issues with the Broncos taking him at #5, or a few picks thereafter. If Denver had won its last game and got the #10 pick we would be praying he falls to us. Now we don't need luck.
    Hell yea!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

With Coach Chaz and G-Money endorsing Nelson, it should persuade some doubters.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    With Coach Chaz and G-Money endorsing Nelson, it should persuade some doubters.
    I’m definitely persuaded, it just doesn’t fill any holes.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    The Broncos need a better OL, and over-drafting a Pro Bowler is better than correctly drafting a practice squad player. .
    I love this line.

9. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

A great left guard changed Brees' career. Best argument? Nah.

For sake of discussion, we heard these exact same things about Jonathan Cooper, who was slated as the best guard prospect ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

All I can say about Nelson is watch film on him. Might be the most technically sound interior lineman I've ever seen since I started caring about the draft. And trading back really isnt an option. If we dont take him at 5...I guarantee he's gone by 10.

However, the other option would be to draft a tackle and then look at Will Hernandez in the 2nd. Was recruited and coached by our newest interior OL coach, Kugler. My only probelm there lies with which tackle to draft at 5. Not nearly as sold on any of them being worth #5 as I am Nelson.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

It's a sound point, Chaz. I'd just rather trade up and get us a QB.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

14. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    It's a sound point, Chaz. I'd just rather trade up and get us a QB.
    Well...I'm basing this all on the assumption we find a QB in FA. If not, the whole strategy changes...or does it?

16. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Well...I'm basing this all on the assumption we find a QB in FA. If not, the whole strategy changes...or does it?
    If we sign Cousins, Smith, or Taylor, then **** yeah sign the godly guard. Guards matter greatly in pass protection, and that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold Chaz Said so!

Adopted Bronco:

If we sign Cousins, Smith, or Taylor, then **** yeah sign the godly guard. Guards matter greatly in pass protection, and that's the bottom line cuz Stone Cold Chaz Said so!
    Well...this particular guard anyway

Well...this particular guard anyway
    I've written it into the sky!

Is there a thread where you've shared your thoughts on the FA QB's and draftable first round QB's? I want your take worse than I want a steak!

Adopted Bronco:

I've written it into the sky!

Is there a thread where you've shared your thoughts on the FA QB's and draftable first round QB's? I want your take worse than I want a steak!
    Probably not.

Probably not.
    Crap!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information