Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: HDTVs

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    no its 120, I wouldnt buy a 60hz, its just not a smart tv. Honestly, our other three tv's are smart tv's and we have never used it because the blueray players offer all the same things. I do my homework before buying anything, I'm OCD about that stuff.
    While I can see a big jump in the 60hz vs 120hz, the HDTVs I've seen with the 240hz don't seem to have quite the jump in quality especially given the price. The refresh rate is huge in things like sports (my old Aquos is a 60hz but seems to do pretty good) but I'm not sure if past 120hz its even noticeable to most people.

Smart TVs are great and sometimes cheaper because they make deals with HULU, Netflix, etc. to keep costs down because they know you will probably subscribe or pay for content. Between my Smart Bluray, HDMI computer adapter, and game consoles with built in services I have several different ways to watch movies, sports, TV, etc. Pretty neat but I hate the idea of all my media living in "the cloud". I try and buy my favorite stuff on BluRay or 4k BluRay if its available.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    While I can see a big jump in the 60hz vs 120hz, the HDTVs I've seen with the 240hz don't seem to have quite the jump in quality especially given the price. The refresh rate is huge in things like sports (my old Aquos is a 60hz but seems to do pretty good) but I'm not sure if past 120hz its even noticeable to most people.

Smart TVs are great and sometimes cheaper because they make deals with HULU, Netflix, etc. to keep costs down because they know you will probably subscribe or pay for content. Between my Smart Bluray, HDMI computer adapter, and game consoles with built in services I have several different ways to watch movies, sports, TV, etc. Pretty neat but I hate the idea of all my media living in "the cloud". I try and buy my favorite stuff on BluRay or 4k BluRay if its available.
    I actually wrote more and then deleted it before posting. I was going to say the same thing about the 240+ hz TV's. The LG ones that claim to be 600hz are the funniest. Do a search for how they measure that and the whole refresh rate becomes a joke.

As for brand, that is really a crap shoot as they all use about 4 or 5 different panel manufacturers of different quality controls. I am a big Samsung fan but I will admit that thye are one of the worst for the panel lottery crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

3. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by SeeingRed View Post
    Joe, you don't have an angry bone in your body.
    Just my dick.

5. The Following 6 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyBronco View Post
    Just my dick.
    How many times has Joe's dick been in your body?

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

7. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I actually wrote more and then deleted it before posting. I was going to say the same thing about the 240+ hz TV's. The LG ones that claim to be 600hz are the funniest. Do a search for how they measure that and the whole refresh rate becomes a joke.

As for brand, that is really a crap shoot as they all use about 4 or 5 different panel manufacturers of different quality controls. I am a big Samsung fan but I will admit that thye are one of the worst for the panel lottery crap.
    Good to know, I was hoping I wasn't seeing something that wasn't there. I think most HDTVs with 120hz refresh rate and a good contrast ratio are the way to go. It is really hard to judge TVs at the store because they jack the settings way up so you can see them in the fluorescent lighting. I always try to reference things like AV Forums or CNET to get good comparisons and reviews. Another good tip after you buy your TV is to either invest in an calibrater/optimizer disc for your bluray to get the settings right, or sometimes they are built into the menu on movies that use THX technology (like Star Wars).

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

How many times has Joe's dick been in your body?
    About as often as mine has been in yours.

bdb, you are being sexually dominant today. I like it!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    bdb, you are being sexually dominant today. I like it!!!
    I'm mounting everything in sight....

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived BigDaddyBronco For This Post:

I've had a few foggy nights, Im just trying to think if you were around at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I keep hearing everyone say they completely overhaul their TV's settings when they get it home. I've never manually updated any of my TV settings in the past - I always just use one of the presets. Do you do it yourself based on your own preferences or do you find some preset criteria online?

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I keep hearing everyone say they completely overhaul their TV's settings when they get it home. I've never manually updated any of my TV settings in the past - I always just use one of the presets. Do you do it yourself based on your own preferences or do you find some preset criteria online?
    I usually look at av forums and use their recommendations and then fine tune it for my liking.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default HDTVs

After you calibrate the TV settings you will see a big difference.

EDIT: Here is a resource that will scour the forums of this particular forum to give you some basic HDTV settings for most models:

http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/samsung-2.html
    Last edited by MasterShake; 02-21-2014 at 10:44 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I went ahead and bought the 50" Vizio 120HZ Smart TV. It was on sale at Target for $650 plus my GF gets 5% off with her red card. I was tempted to buy the 55" Samsung on sale for $799 but I still have to buy a couch and a bunch of other stuff too. This one will suffice and fits within my price range.

I haven't really watched anything on it yet because I've been busy moving and the cable guy can't get out there to install for a week.

20. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I went ahead and bought the 50" Vizio 120HZ Smart TV. It was on sale at Target for $650 plus my GF gets 5% off with her red card. I was tempted to buy the 55" Samsung on sale for $799 but I still have to buy a couch and a bunch of other stuff too. This one will suffice and fits within my price range.

I haven't really watched anything on it yet because I've been busy moving and the cable guy can't get out there to install for a week.
    The HD Local channels probably look pretty good on that (they always look better than cable or satellite anyway).

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Nothing wrong with Vizio TV's, as I said earlier... the panel lottery is more important than brand name

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information