Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Stones vs. Beatles

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    For me, that list would be Beatles, Zep, Floyd, Stones, and Who.

And in some approaches, I agree that my intuition and Bayesian inferences about the structure of the rock and roll universe are inviolate.

But this time I'm approaching it like, 'hey, I can see four bright stars in the vernal cosmos--but--maybe I've ignored the hibernal universe?'
    The smart people words are throwing me off, but I think I get what you're throwing down.

I'd throw the Ramones in because they have 4 great albums. Velvet Underground released at least 3 near-perfect albums, but they're a little too hipster for this. Does Black Sabbath count? Master of Reality is great. And what's the deal with The Grateful Dead? I've always liked a few of their songs but I feel like I need to be on acid to understand why people like them and whether or not they have 4 albums worth listening to. I do know there's a Grateful Dead doc on amazon prime that apparently is so good that it turns people into GD fans.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    The smart people words are throwing me off, but I think I get what you're throwing down.

I'd throw the Ramones in because they have 4 great albums. Velvet Underground released at least 3 near-perfect albums, but they're a little too hipster for this. Does Black Sabbath count? Master of Reality is great. And what's the deal with The Grateful Dead? I've always liked a few of their songs but I feel like I need to be on acid to understand why people like them and whether or not they have 4 albums worth listening to. I do know there's a Grateful Dead doc on amazon prime that apparently is so good that it turns people into GD fans.
    Do you think perhaps the essence of the debate resolves upon the higher number of albums of a certain quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Kinda surprised no one said anything about CCR. Will no one raise the cause of this worthy band? Perhaps they are not worth a footnote in history.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Do you think perhaps the essence of the debate resolves upon the higher number of albums of a certain quality?
    I think...what does 4 great albums indicate?

Is longevity and consistency necessary to be considered a great rock and roll band?

What about a band with 4 good-not-great albums VS a band with 1 great album? Who is the greater band?

What is the meaning of life?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Kinda surprised no one said anything about CCR. Will no one raise the cause of this worthy band? Perhaps they are not worth a footnote in history.
    I'm in. They have 3 potentially great albums. They are a great rock and roll band. Bonus points for having a cross cultural appeal - there are some famous Mexican versions of Have You Ever Seen the Rain and Cotton Fields. Where does global appeal factor into a band's greatness?

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I think...
    Ok, let's start with easiest to hardest.

What is the meaning of life?
    The action and sensation carried within each moment.

Is longevity and consistency necessary to be considered a great rock and roll band?
    I don't care. I just want 4-album bands. To the question--no, obvs.

what does 4 great albums indicate?
    The best of the rest. (The best being those with 5+ albums: Stones, Beatles, Zep)

What about a band with 4 good-not-great albums VS a band with 1 great album? Who is the greater band?
    The album must be so:

1) No bad songs
    2) Unless they are like Within You, Without You
    3) Kind of like crack cocaine
    4) No one-album wonders!

8. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Just to throw this into the mix, according to Rolling Stone's list of the 100 greatest artists, here are the 20 best rock bands of all time:

1. The Beatles
    2. The Rolling Stones
    3. Guns N' Roses
    4. Nirvana
    5. The Beach Boys
    6. Led Zeppelin
    7. The Velvet Underground
    8. U2
    9. Ramones
    10. The Clash
    11. The Who
    12. The Doors
    13. Sly & the Family Stone
    14. The Byrds
    15. The Band
    16. Pink Floyd
    17. Queen
    18. Allman Brother's Band
    19. Grateful Dead
    20. Aerosmith

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin...ts_of_All_Time

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

And here's a poll with a list of 20.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...f-all-time-are

When asked to name the greatest rock and roll group of all-time, nearly one-in-four, or 23 percent, of U.S. adults say “The Beatles.” Bringing up the second place by a wide margin are the Rolling Stones at eight percent, Led Zeppelin holding on at four percent, AC/DC also at four percent, the Eagles with three percent, and Aerosmith and Queen with a slim two percent. There were also dozens of other groups declared by no more than one percent of poll participants.

“The Beatles enjoy remarkable longevity among music lovers of all stripes because of their time-eclipsing compositions and exquisite musicianship,” said Ken Womack, Ph.D., Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Monmouth University. Womack is a renowned Beatles scholar who recently authored a two-volume biography of legendary producer George Martin.

Other bands mentioned in the study include Metallica, Pink Floyd, U2 and The Who.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Math is crazy y'all.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Math is crazy y'all.

It would be nothing like seeing Naughty by Nature in 2046.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I don't care. I just want 4-album bands. To the question--no, obvs.

The best of the rest. (The best being those with 5+ albums: Stones, Beatles, Zep)
    The album must be so:

1) No bad songs
    2) Unless they are like Within You, Without You
    3) Kind of like crack cocaine
    4) No one-album wonders!
    The Pixies, and they > the Who. Greatest of all American rock bands IMO, but didn't make enough albums. Fits this definition to a "T"
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    The Pixies, and they > the Who. Greatest of all American rock bands IMO, but didn't make enough albums. Fits this definition to a "T"
    Bossanova, Surfer Rosa, Trompe le Monde, and Doolittle. Good call--and glad you are back from your excursion. Was wondering where you went...

16. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

It would be nothing like seeing Naughty by Nature in 2046.
    Mick Jagger is down AF with OPP.

18. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

If we're doing more contemporary and "alternative" bands, I'd throw Pavement in.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

If we're doing more contemporary and "alternative" bands, I'd throw Pavement in.
    Slanted and Enchanted had a lot of catchy songs. I understand Crooked Rain (?) is also widely lauded. They have others?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information