Page 106 of 128 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 1912

Thread: What are you reading?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Blockchain Revolution by Tapscott.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Blockchain Revolution by Tapscott.
    How do you like it? I'm also done with Grant by by ron chernow and i need something to read. BTW Grant is top notch.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

3. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    How do you like it? I'm also done with Grant by by ron chernow and i need something to read. BTW Grant is top notch.
    So far I like it. But I just encountered a bit of writing that makes me pause:

Propery rights are so inexorably tied to our system of capitalist demoncracy that Jefferson's first draft of the Declaration of Independence listed the inalienable rights of man as life, liberty, and the pursuit of property, not happiness. [citation] While those aspirational tenets laid the groundwork for the modern economy and society we enjoy in much of the developed world, to this day much of the world's population does not reap their benefits. Even though some progress has been made in the departments of life and liberty, a majority of the world's property holders can have their homes or their land seized arbitrarily by corrupt government functionaries, with the flick of a software switch in their centralized government property database...
    I don't like all the supposition without citation.

It's a good philosophical yarn with practical use in light of a new technology that matters.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Just finished the untethered soul.

Terrible.

A big bunch of esoteric nonsense with zero scientific evidence to support the whole premise.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Just finished the untethered soul.

Terrible.

A big bunch of esoteric nonsense with zero scientific evidence to support the whole premise.
    So, right up your alley?

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Restarted the Wheel of Time series...Good bye rest of the year. I'll have that finished sometime in 2019.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

'Call of the Wild' My Escape to Alaska ~ Guy Grieve

I'm trying to start reading more. Hopefully this book peaks my interest.

11. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Jack London! Kinda.

13. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This weekend I was with my son at a Scouting thing for Webelos, I knew I'd need a book to pass the time, so I went to the local bookstore, Tattered Cover. It was fortuitous because one of the owners was working that location and he is a friend with similar tastes and he hooked me up with a friends and family discount (werd). I got more books than I meant to get before I went, but it's nice to support local bookstores that work hard on developing promising talent and do a decent job of curating better books. Well, I end up getting a book that was recommended to me by one of the college girls that works there, and that was a big mistake. The book is a YA tale called "Now I Darken" and it's described as both "think Game of Thrones, but with teens" and "unapologetically feminist" or something like that.

But I like to broaden my horizons (except where Beef is concerned. I do not feel comfortable broadening that much.)

So I got it, and now I'm stuck reading it. It's a good book but it's driving me up a wall because the protagonist chick is such a badass but wants the D so bad, but she hates dudes, at least hates that she's a girl (this is supposedly during the Ottoman Empire, and she's Vlad Dracuul's daughter), and her brother, the alt-protagonist, is the ultimate fairy and the book dwells on his 'struggle' way too much...but the writing, plot, and pacing are all first-rate. Character development is super thin. I am usually quick to DNF a book, but it's actually too good to DNF despite the millenial manifesto backdrop.

Bottom line, listen to the bookstore owner who likes the stuff you like, and not the college girl unless you are in an X-rated reading club with her. That seems so obvious now, looking back. Live and learn.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    This weekend I was with my son at a Scouting thing for Webelos, I knew I'd need a book to pass the time, so I went to the local bookstore, Tattered Cover. It was fortuitous because one of the owners was working that location and he is a friend with similar tastes and he hooked me up with a friends and family discount (werd). I got more books than I meant to get before I went, but it's nice to support local bookstores that work hard on developing promising talent and do a decent job of curating better books. Well, I end up getting a book that was recommended to me by one of the college girls that works there, and that was a big mistake. The book is a YA tale called "Now I Darken" and it's described as both "think Game of Thrones, but with teens" and "unapologetically feminist" or something like that.

But I like to broaden my horizons (except where Beef is concerned. I do not feel comfortable broadening that much.)

So I got it, and now I'm stuck reading it. It's a good book but it's driving me up a wall because the protagonist chick is such a badass but wants the D so bad, but she hates dudes, at least hates that she's a girl (this is supposedly during the Ottoman Empire, and she's Vlad Dracuul's daughter), and her brother, the alt-protagonist, is the ultimate fairy and the book dwells on his 'struggle' way too much...but the writing, plot, and pacing are all first-rate. Character development is super thin. I am usually quick to DNF a book, but it's actually too good to DNF despite the millenial manifesto backdrop.

Bottom line, listen to the bookstore owner who likes the stuff you like, and not the college girl unless you are in an X-rated reading club with her. That seems so obvious now, looking back. Live and learn.
    Sounds like a battle faced by many young women.... The conflict between fighting against a system of patriarchy that keeps them within themselves, and a biological sexual urge towards their oppressors that they have no control over. And for the gay brother, never living up to the expectations out his father.

Add in the fantasy aspect of Dracula and I can see why it would be popular with an adolescent audience, especially if it is well written.

16. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Sounds like a battle faced by many young women.... The conflict between fighting against a system of patriarchy that keeps them within themselves, and a biological sexual urge towards their oppressors that they have no control over. And for the gay brother, never living up to the expectations out his father.

Add in the fantasy aspect of Dracula and I can see why it would be popular with an adolescent audience, especially if it is well written.
    Yeah, not much on the Dracula angle so far. It makes perfect sense, and I have no problem with it, it's more like the eternal old person/young person dichotomy. Been there, done that.

I also like that uncomfortable feeling a bit, because I like to think that nothing really gets under my skin in a certain sense. It's not true, but it's a game I play.

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    I listened to a podcast with Chernow about Grant and it made me want to buy the book. I just wanna wait for it to come out on paperback.

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I listened to a podcast with Chernow about Grant and it made me want to buy the book. I just wanna wait for it to come out on paperback.
    It's on Kindle now and it's less then 10 bucks. It worth, especial the history after the Civil War.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Midway through The Great Hunt

22. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Stephen King - The Stand (Complete and Uncut).
    Haven't read it for 20 years or so.

24. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information