Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Specifically, Tyler Polumbus was talking about it during the preseason on Orange and Blue radio. Then they interviewed a former player that was a coaching intern last season, and he was talking about how Paxton didn't understand even the most basic football concepts coming in. His play on the field seems to back it up. Polumbus has a lot of friends in the locker room, and plays cards with the Olineman on occasion. (Or so he says)
    Well, if what the former player said was accurate, then Elway & Co. really whiffed in not checking that aspect out.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, if what the former player said was accurate, then Elway & Co. really whiffed in not checking that aspect out.
    I think too often, teams fall in love with a guy's physical gifts and think they can just coach the rest up. Sometimes a guy is dumb and just can't be coached. I'm not 100% saying that's Lynch's situation, but it's looking more and more likely that it is.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

I think the answer HAS to be Cousins. They need a guy that can play NOW. Shady/Rapistburger are just about done. The AFC could be WIDE OPEN the next few years. Top ten could get it done.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tbolt For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I think too often, teams fall in love with a guy's physical gifts and think they can just coach the rest up. Sometimes a guy is dumb and just can't be coached. I'm not 100% saying that's Lynch's situation, but it's looking more and more likely that it is.
    Agreed. Especially since he seems unwilling to put in the extra time. From what I've seen of him, he also expects to get the nod. Maybe because the whole of this season revolved around trying to give him the nod. That doesn't bode well, when searching for a fighter. No NFL QB of note has been anything less than a fighter. We'll probably be stuck with him next year as a backup. But he seems to be dumb. Not that dumb is doomed to failure. Just that dumb needs a few more years to catch up and be an ok backup.

The problem with Lynch outside of his miniscule football IQ is his contract. It would be a 4.46 million dollar cap hit to cut him, and he has no trade value. The Broncos are stuck with him for at least another year. He gets to be a multi million dollar clipboard holder.
    Yep. Painful but true. Let's just hope he doesn't hold the clipboard for a draft pick with promise in Denver. Imagine being a badass QB drafted by Denver, with the world ahead of him but a world of lessons to learn...and have Paxton Lynch as your mentor. Best he holds a clipboard for a vet and maybe catches up to the rest of the NFL, at least at the backup level.

Somewhere else after next year.

Specifically, Tyler Polumbus was talking about it during the preseason on Orange and Blue radio. Then they interviewed a former player that was a coaching intern last season, and he was talking about how Paxton didn't understand even the most basic football concepts coming in. His play on the field seems to back it up. Polumbus has a lot of friends in the locker room, and plays cards with the Olineman on occasion. (Or so he says)
    Yeah, I heard all season long on 760, from the pre-season get go, that Lynch not only didn't get it...but that he refused to spend any effort to hope to get it. They don't always get the inside scoop on 760 but they always get a real view on the team. Sometimes, it's all about seeing the body of evidence by what orbits around it, rather than seeing it directly. Since, you know...public image and all.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    although I cringe at you insulting him like that, I do think he doesn’t have a mental grasp of the nfl caliber offense. Doesn’t mean he’s dumb per se, just in the wrong business.

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I would rather draft and develop somebody than get Brees.
    You will probably get your wish since Cousins will not come here and Brees is going nowhere. Teams with much more salary cap room can outbid the Broncos.

Remember that the Redskins will match any sane offer, and even some insane ones. It will take just an absurd offer before they will say "I give up! You take our star QB! That is just too much money!"

That's why he will get over $30m a year, because if it's something remotely sensible, like around $26m to $28m the Redskins will just say "thank you very much!" And match the offer. Then he has no choice but to remain.

That solves the Redskins problems for them. They don't have to admit their stupid mistake and negotiate a deal when they can't apparently manage to negotiate with him. ANd they don't have to let him walk for free either. And best of all they don't have to franchise him at $34m, they use the transitional franchise tag and just match whatever offers Cousins gets.

So, in order to pry him away from DC some team will need not just to over-pay him, but to WILDLY Overpay by such a ginormous amount that the Redskins just throw up their hands and give up and let him go.

Obviously in such a money throwing contest, the team (Cleveland, the Jets, etc.) that has the most money to throw at a QB has the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    although I cringe at you insulting him like that, I do think he doesn’t have a mental grasp of the nfl caliber offense. Doesn’t mean he’s dumb per se, just in the wrong business.
    From a practical point of view, does it make a difference? I'm a really nice guy in real life, but I would never have made a decent NFL QB, even if I had the physical talent. It's just too demanding and I'm too lazy. Tom Brady is right. Playing QB in the NFL "isn't a job. It's a life style choice."

Well, after 2 years Paxton has not bought into that lifestyle or he isn't able to learn effectively. He's a bust pure and simple. Elway can keep him around until the cows come home but he's not going to become a star NFL QB. He clearly doesn't have the right stuff.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I want cousins and willing to pay top 10 money, maybe top 5. Elway has done great with vet contracts.

But part of reason for huge contracts are for players to get as much in their prime as they can and then realize they want a ring. Cousin's has made bank last 2 years and could be willing to not break a team's bank. Do a contract like Carr with a base salary around $24 a year could work. Something like 5 year for $120 with $72 mill guaranteed (Base of $18mill for 4 years guaranteed)

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Yeah, don't count on it. If we want cousins, we are going to pay for him. I think we should, personally, but I have no illusion that we'll be able to get a "steal" on him somehow.

14. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Mental splurging on start of our off-season. Not going into FA we should go after but internal things.

With $31 mill in cap Robert getting cousins would leave $7 mill and then the cuts and restructures start.

What I would want to see

Cut
    Watson (save $4.5 mill)
    Kerr (save $1.5 mill)
    Talib if no restructure (save $11 mill)

Restructures or trade
    Roby onto long term contract to reduce $8.5mill cap hit
    Talib restructure and extension or cut
    DT and extension (contract expires after 2019)
    Wolfe and extension (contract expires after 2019)
    Chris Harris and extension (Co tract expires after 2019)
    Stewart trade (Simmons and park playing well)
    Sanders trade as last resort

Reason I mentioned these vets for restructure is that you can spread out cap hits into more years and they are more willing to work with team. They know we need a QB and contracts end soon.

Players that need to be retained
    Paradis RFA
    Barrett RFA
    Shelby Harris RFA
    Taylor or latimer RFA
    Keith ERFA

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Yeah, don't count on it. If we want cousins, we are going to pay for him. I think we should, personally, but I have no illusion that we'll be able to get a "steal" on him somehow.
    No steals but high guarantees and long contract. What I posted is #5 in total money and #2 in guarentees

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Mental splurging on start of our off-season. Not going into FA we should go after but internal things.

With $31 mill in cap Robert getting cousins would leave $7 mill and then the cuts and restructures start.

What I would want to see

Cut
    Watson (save $4.5 mill)
    Kerr (save $1.5 mill)
    Talib if no restructure (save $11 mill)

Restructures or trade
    Roby onto long term contract to reduce $8.5mill cap hit
    Talib restructure and extension or cut
    DT and extension (contract expires after 2019)
    Wolfe and extension (contract expires after 2019)
    Chris Harris and extension (Co tract expires after 2019)
    Stewart trade (Simmons and park playing well)
    Sanders trade as last resort

Reason I mentioned these vets for restructure is that you can spread out cap hits into more years and they are more willing to work with team. They know we need a QB and contracts end soon.

Players that need to be retained
    Paradis RFA
    Barrett RFA
    Shelby Harris RFA
    Taylor or latimer RFA
    Keith ERFA
    I think Wolfe needs to be a cut or retire. His neck only gets worse and worse and eventually he's not going to walk away from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I think Wolfe needs to be a cut or retire. His neck only gets worse and worse and eventually he's not going to walk away from the game.
    As much as I love him being a Bronco, I agree with you.

19. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information