Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate 7-Game Finals - Who Wins?

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Default The Ultimate 7-Game Finals - Who Wins?

This question came up at work and thought it an interesting proposition. Let's say you had two teams made up of the NBA's best-ever players (all in their prime) divided between players once coached in the regular season by Phil Jackson and those whom were not coached in the regular season by Phil Jackson. Which team would win?

On the Jackson team (in no particular order): Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone, Pau Gasol, Scottie Pippen, Gary Payton, Dennis Rodman, Bill Cartwright, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, Toni Kukoc

On the non-Jackson team (in no particular order): Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Julius Erving, LeBron James, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Stockton, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Dominique Wilkins, Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone

Pick whatever head coach you want opposite Jackson. Who wins the series and in how many games? Explain your decision. Think Kobe and Jordan would be unstoppable? Think defense ultimately wins? Think any one position is weak enough to be exploited?

Not an easy proposition, is it?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Does the Jackson team get Malone and Payton in their primes? That would seem a bit unfair since he coached them for one season at the very end of their careers when they were washed up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I would probably throw Pat Riley on the other team as the Head Coach but i will have to come back to this and explain who i think would win.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I do have a question though, on the non Jackson team you have all bonafide HOF players but on the Jackson team you have 4 support players mixed in with the HOF players. Why is that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I do have a question though, on the non Jackson team you have all bonafide HOF players but on the Jackson team you have 4 support players mixed in with the HOF players. Why is that?
    That's pretty obvious isn't it? You have to have a full team, and he hasn't coached 12 hall of farmers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    That's pretty obvious isn't it? You have to have a full team, and he hasn't coached 12 hall of farmers.
    Then rather than have a full HOF roster on the second team why not just take out 4 and add 4 support players on that team? Just seems a bit weird to me because we know he's coached more than all these players that are listed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

The winner would be determined by chemistry. Oh, and those teams are horribly devoid of point guards.

8. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

If its alright with Hoof im going to swap out some players on the second team to balance it out before doing my write up.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

that said, Jordan, Shaq, Malone, Payton and Pippen would be virtually unstoppable. Their offense and their defense. Screw Kobe, he would have no place in that starting lineup.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    The winner would be determined by chemistry. Oh, and those teams are horribly devoid of point guards.
    Magic Johnson?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    that said, Jordan, Shaq, Malone, Payton and Pippen would be virtually unstoppable. Their offense and their defense. Screw Kobe, he would have no place in that starting lineup.
    I still think we should assume that you are getting the washed up Malone and Payton that Jackson coached for one season at the end of their careers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I still think we should assume that you are getting the washed up Malone and Payton that Jackson coached for one season at the end of their careers.
    Hoof states all the players are in their prime in his initial post.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

These will probably be the teams that i run with,

Shaq- Bill Cartwright- Paul Gasol
    Karl Malone- Robert Horry- Toni Kukoc
    Scottie Pippen- Dennis Rodman
    Michael Jordan- Derek Fisher
    Kobe Bryant- Gary Payton

Kareem Abdul Jabbar- Hakeem Olajuwon- Ben Wallace
    Tim Duncan- Chris Webber- Peja Stojakovic
    Larry Bird- Lebron James
    Clyde Drexler- John Stockton
    Magic Johnson- Kevin Johnson

Jackson team wins. But if you take away LeBron from the non-Jackson team, then the non-Jackson team wins.

An important question is do they actually play basketball or is it the usual bullshit they've been playing for the last decade?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information