Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4-3 Vs 3-4 with out current roster

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Default 4-3 Vs 3-4 with out current roster

I know the difference between the two - structurally at least.

I have a few questions though

1) Why would Pot Roast see more snaps in Wade's scheme?
    2) What positions do we need greater depth in to make it work?
    3) Will this see Von in coverage more than pass rushing?
    4) Does a change in scheme also mean a change for our dbs? If so, how does it affect them?

I'm not sure if there will be a huge difference. A lot of the time it looked like we had 3-4 kind of look, especially on the line. The line has always looked 3-4 to me. LE, NT, RE, and then Von or Ware coming around the end. Derek Wolfe reminds me of JJ Watt or Jared Crick, like in Houston. Ware (and probably Von) would be similar to Conner Barwin.

1) Why would Pot Roast see more snaps in Wade's scheme?
    You have to have a fat, space-eater at nose tackle. Pot Roast is good at being fat.
    2) What positions do we need greater depth in to make it work?
    I think, regardless, we need LB depth.
    3) Will this see Von in coverage more than pass rushing?
    I doubt it.
    4) Does a change in scheme also mean a change for our dbs? If so, how does it affect them?
    People are saying Wade will attack more. So this could mean our DBs could press the WR harder because they may not have to cover for 4-5 seconds or longer. I'm curious to know what Wade does with his safeties. I wonder if TJ will be up at the line a lot. I thought the safeties in Houston were more like cover safeties. One was a former CB. It could just be him working with what he has.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-01-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Typo

3. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Dang. I forgot Wade already coached Ware in Dallas too.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Broncos probably have the DLine to run a 3-4 but I don't believe the Lbs are deep enough.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

6. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

The Broncos had a plethora of LBs on the roster last season, where/if they fit in Phillips 34 remains to be seen but that video posted leads ya to believe that Son of Bum basically makes his system fit the players he has. I think depth at OLB is pretty solid, McCray should really benefit to the scheme change, and although my boy Quanterus Smith's role is less clear he didn't Rush the passer from a two-point stance last season.

I'm dreaming of Bernardick McKinney lasting to the 28th for Denver, at least until we get further along in the process and reality sets in, to be that bigger ILB that they'd seemingly need at this point.

As for Potraost, I don't know if Denver thinks they can count on him to play more snaps, from the sounds of it that's been an issue, this is where additional depth is needed most, imo.

As for the secondary, I think we can expect a big difference in how they're used but I'd be lying if I said I knew how.

This is also pure speculation but I don't think we'll see Miller being in coverage as much as he was with Del Rio.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

8. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    The Broncos had a plethora of LBs on the roster last season, where/if they fit in Phillips 34 remains to be seen but that video posted leads ya to believe that Son of Bum basically makes his system fit the players he has. I think depth at OLB is pretty solid, McCray should really benefit to the scheme change, and although my boy Quanterus Smith's role is less clear he didn't Rush the passer from a two-point stance last season.

I'm dreaming of Bernardick McKinney lasting to the 28th for Denver, at least until we get further along in the process and reality sets in, to be that bigger ILB that they'd seemingly need at this point.

As for Potraost, I don't know if Denver thinks they can count on him to play more snaps, from the sounds of it that's been an issue, this is where additional depth is needed most, imo.

As for the secondary, I think we can expect a big difference in how they're used but I'd be lying if I said I knew how.

This is also pure speculation but I don't think we'll see Miller being in coverage as much as he was with Del Rio.
    I was thinking that only position that might need some revamping would be inside linebacker because I thought the linebackers we have might be undersized. Then I went and looked the inside backers for Steelers, Ravens, and Texans and found that their starters are no bigger than the guys we have. Now it seems Denver's biggest issue is the health of those guys who would play on the inside.

10. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I was thinking that only position that might need some revamping would be inside linebacker because I thought the linebackers we have might be undersized. Then I went and looked the inside backers for Steelers, Ravens, and Texans and found that their starters are no bigger than the guys we have. Now it seems Denver's biggest issue is the health of those guys who would play on the inside.

Trevathan is a huge question mark. I hope he can play because he's one of the better players when he's on the field, but I'm not holding my breath.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

You know I had no idea Marshall was 250 but he did get off blocks so he might thrive in the SILB role

14. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

should also see a lot more press man as we allow both our OLB to penetrate more. Man do ware and Miller do a great job of setting the edge vs the run. I'm excited about this d

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    You know I had no idea Marshall was 250 but he did get off blocks so he might thrive in the SILB role
    He came into the league at 250, I think they list him 242, I would love to see Miller/Ware and Marshall/Trevathon all start in this D. It depends on Trevathons health but it sounds like Phillips doesn't ask his players to do something they can't so if Marshall cant take on OL than that doesn't mean they both can't start in base D. I also wouldn't mind seeing Irving brought back for depth/ST's.

I do kinda worry about losing Richard Smith and Del Rio, I think they deserve a lot of credit for developing Marshall/Trevathon.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

17. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He came into the league at 250, I think they list him 242, I would love to see Miller/Ware and Marshall/Trevathon all start in this D. It depends on Trevathons health but it sounds like Phillips doesn't ask his players to do something they can't so if Marshall cant take on OL than that doesn't mean they both can't start in base D. I also wouldn't mind seeing Irving brought back for depth/ST's.

I do kinda worry about losing Richard Smith and Del Rio, I think they deserve a lot of credit for developing Marshall/Trevathon.
    The linebacker coach they are bring in sounds like he's a pretty good position coach.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    The linebacker coach they are bring in sounds like he's a pretty good position coach.
    I agree, just that ya never know.

Btw, Marshall also has nearly 34" arms to shed blocks, that's really a good number even for OTs in the NFL, I think jsteve's right about the possibility of him thriving at SILB.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 02-08-2015 at 03:13 PM.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

20. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I agree, just that ya never know.

Btw, Marshall also has nearly 34" arms to shed blocks, that's really a good number even for OTs in the NFL, I think jsteve's right about the possibility of him thriving at SILB.
    It won't surprise me to see him thrive in a 3-4. Trevathan should also thrive if he can get healthy.

22. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Trevathan is a huge question mark. I hope he can play because he's one of the better players when he's on the field, but I'm not holding my breath.
    His replacement was not bad, but I am looking forward to seeing him play again. Regardless, an inside linebacker should be at the top of John Elway's draft board.

Does anyone know if Danny Trevathan will be ready for the season opener?
    Bronco: The best horse in the NFL

I didn't realize Marshall was that big either. I think the ILBs in a 3-4 need to have some good size and weight to them as they're the primary run stoppers.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information