Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Change One NFL Rule (or Enforcement) What Would It Be?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Well, in a way holding is a spot foul. If the hold occurs at or behind the LOS (except in the end zone) it's enforced from the previous spot. If the hold happens downfield it's enforced from the spot of the foul. That's why you may see someone with a decent play... let's say a 20 yard run, but a hold happens 8 yards beyond the LOS it would then be 1st and 2 after enforcement of the penalty.
    Then it would be first and 12. Damn refs always screwing shit up.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Then it would be first and 12. Damn refs always screwing shit up.
    Ummm.. no it wouldn't. It would take the ball back 10 yards from the spot of the foul. The foul happened 8 yards downfield. The enforcement would leave it behind the original line to gain and repeat the down. So, still first down and 2 yards to go to achieve the original line to gain. 1st and 2.

Oh, and although I didn't type it, assume it was 1st and 10 on the play initially.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Holding needs to be more severe. Since defenses are hamstrung in today's day and age, when an offense commits a penalty they need to really feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Ummm.. no it wouldn't. It would take the ball back 10 yards from the spot of the foul. The foul happened 8 yards downfield. The enforcement would leave it behind the original line to gain and repeat the down. So, still first down and 2 yards to go to achieve the original line to gain. 1st and 2.

Oh, and although I didn't type it, assume it was 1st and 10 on the play initially.
    Look again Spike. If a hold happens 8 yards from the LOS on 1st and ten then it becomes 1st and 12.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Look again Spike. If a hold happens 8 yards from the LOS on 1st and ten then it becomes 1st and 12.
    You're right.. i'm sorry, I meant 8 yards past the line to gain. Been a long day.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

7. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Consistency is nearly Impossible because of the speed of the game and the fact that it is such a judgement call. The only way that you may be able to get that consistency is to make it reviewable.
    I don't think it's too much to expect consistency from the same crew for both team in a single game, yet that's as rare as a $1.5 billion lottery.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

9. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I don't think it's too much to expect consistency from the same crew for both team in a single game, yet that's as rare as a $1.5 billion lottery.
    Define consistency in this case. Would it be calling everything exactly the same way every time? If so, that's impossible. Each play is different and there's contact on almost every play. Officials have to make a judgment about whether the contact is worthy of a foul, and by whom, each time and it's tough.

Define consistency in this case. Would it be calling everything exactly the same way every time? If so, that's impossible. Each play is different and there's contact on almost every play. Officials have to make a judgment about whether the contact is worthy of a foul, and by whom, each time and it's tough.
    It's not giving a 'defenseless player' three steps and then eschewing a RB that same call when he only took two.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

12. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    It's not giving a 'defenseless player' three steps and then eschewing a RB that same call when he only took two.
    Again, that's an issue with the rule book. A player becoming a runner isn't defined by the number of steps he takes, but by making a move common to he game. Each official has to determine in a split second whether that happened or not. Judgment calls, by their nature, are inconsistent.

Again, that's an issue with the rule book. A player becoming a runner isn't defined by the number of steps he takes, but by making a move common to he game. Each official has to determine in a split second whether that happened or not. Judgment calls, by their nature, are inconsistent.
    He was turning around, had not completed that turn around, and got his bell rung. What I'm getting at is that yeah, judgment calls are inconsistent, but that does not preclude officials from ******* them up, i.e. some judgment calls are incredibly obvious. Factor in your point about the crown of the helmet, and mine that Shazier launched himself, and that non-call was an abortion wrapped in a holocaust.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    He was turning around, had not completed that turn around, and got his bell rung. What I'm getting at is that yeah, judgment calls are inconsistent, but that does not preclude officials from ******* them up, i.e. some judgment calls are incredibly obvious. Factor in your point about the crown of the helmet, and mine that Shazier launched himself, and that non-call was an abortion wrapped in a holocaust.
    Wrapped in a breakfast buffet being out of bacon.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Wrapped in a breakfast buffet being out of bacon.
    I hate the world, man. We deserved to lose, I hate it. The calls were still wrong.

I can't remember it being mentioned, so I'll mention this for my late friend. RIP, ShaneFalco.

No more drug testing for marijuana.

19. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

NFL officiating literally ****s teams over weekly, on purpose, not by mistake, so by "consistent" I mean that they should not intentionally **** teams over on purpose and not by mistake.

I wish I still believed it was just poor judgment and human element.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

NFL officiating literally ****s teams over weekly, on purpose, not by mistake, so by "consistent" I mean that they should not intentionally **** teams over on purpose and not by mistake.

I wish I still believed it was just poor judgment and human element.
    I think your tinfoil hat needs adjusting.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information