Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL considering suspending Joe Mays

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Default NFL considering suspending Joe Mays

@AdamSchefter

NFL considering one-game suspension for Broncos LB Joe Mays, who landed helmet-to-helmet hit on Matt Schaub. At very least, a fine coming.
    Boom goes the dynamite.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

We need him against the Raiders running game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Maybe I'm missing something. Is this multiple offenses for Mays?

If it ISN'T, then it's complete bullshit.

It took ages for Jerome Harrison to actually get suspended, now Mays is going to get it on first offense?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    TBD

Mike Tyson approves of Joe Mays.
    <script src='http://img43.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=pbj250px.gif&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

Twitter: JBuck610
    Host morning drive sports talk program in Albuquerque.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoAV06 For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Schefter: Joe Mays could face ban

from article:

There is a chance the Denver Broncos could be without starting middle linebacker Joe Mays for a game.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the NFL is considering suspending Mays for his violent hit on Houston quarterback Matt Schaub on Sunday. Schaub’s helmet popped off, he fell to the ground and grabbed his head. He later said he lost a piece of his ear on the play. Schefter reports that Mays will at least be fined.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...could-face-ban

My son was at the game and said that Schaub lowered his head before the hit. Maybe someone could post the hit on here for all to see again.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    from article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...could-face-ban

My son was at the game and said that Schaub lowered his head before the hit. Maybe someone could post the hit on here for all to see again.
    The offensive player lowers his head on nearly every one of these plays, and the defensive player has no time to react. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Especially if they suspend a guy on first offense, which is what they are about to do.

Yet, an offensive player is allowed to literally battering ram a defensive player with his helmet with no penalty.

It's ridiculous.

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

You see another body running full speed towards you. Which are you more likely to do?

1. Duck your head and try to absorb the blow.
    2. Go stiff and upright.

All these threads about some player who shouldn't be fined because the opponent ducked his head before contact is just stupid to me. A player who sees they are about to be hit will, instinctively, lower their head to absorb the collision. It's our natural defense mechanism.

IMO, you should judge intent as best as possible. Did it appear that a player hit an opponent with an intent to injure or willing disregard for player safety? If the answer is yes, suspend and fine him. If the answer is no, then leave it alone.

Was Mays trying to injure Schaub? A few I've read say "yes" based on the previous play, a sack on Manning and the punt catch interference. The way I hear it, some Houston players took offense at what they saw as a cheap shot on their punt returner for which they answered by trying to cheap shot Manning on a sack which the Broncos answered by late-hitting Schaub on one play then the Mays hit on the following play.

That sounds like intent to injure to me although, if I were the league, I would be getting statements before determining intent.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

11. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The proper way to answer a cheap-shot is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXEjXVmnAv4

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

This is the Mays hit. Was he going for the head? You be the judge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCYTPluR1hI

Ask how you'd feel if that was James Harrison hitting Manning that way. Be honest with yourself. It was a deliberate blow to the head.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Considering the outcome and the history 1-2 games should be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The problem is is that there's no defined "strike zone" on these defenseless player hits. They vary from ref to ref for both receivers and QBs. You can't hit a QB low because of the Tom Brady cry-baby rule, so that leaves above the waist. If you hit a QB in the chest, the impact forces his head forward and it makes contact with the defenders' helmet which makes it helmet to helmet. That leaves about a foot between the belt and the lower edge of the sternum to hit a QB legally. If the QB or receiver lowers his head, even if the defender has already lowered his pad level, and the helmets touch, it's helmet to helmet and the defender's fault.

I understand player's safety concerns with blows to the head, but they have to find some way to determine incidental contact based on where the defender makes contact and where the offensive players body is positioned.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

the problem here is that mays lead with his helmet, not his shoulder. what happens happens, i'd be up in arms if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived shank For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    the problem here is that mays lead with his helmet, not his shoulder. what happens happens, i'd be up in arms if the shoe was on the other foot.
    Well, now the problem is, ever defensive player is taught to hit with their head up - to see what you hit. It's for their own safety. If they keep their head up, it's closer to the offensive player's helmet and normally the force of the hit makes the helmets clack together. I'm not trying to defend Mays here because i expected the flag for his hit, but there are so many in every game this year that if there is a violent hit, if it makes a lot of noise, or if it elicits an "Ohhhh" from the crowd, the officials immediately go for the hankie...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Well, now the problem is, ever defensive player is taught to hit with their head up - to see what you hit. It's for their own safety. If they keep their head up, it's closer to the offensive player's helmet and normally the force of the hit makes the helmets clack together. I'm not trying to defend Mays here because i expected the flag for his hit, but there are so many in every game this year that if there is a violent hit, if it makes a lot of noise, or if it elicits an "Ohhhh" from the crowd, the officials immediately go for the hankie...
    this is not one of those hits IMO. he didn't even use his arms and lead with the crown of his helmet. regardless of where the contact is made, it's not a safe way to hit. he coulda laid some nasty wood with his shoulder instead of his helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I don't know much about anything. In fact, I am one of the dumbest people alive.

21. The Following User High Fived shank For This Post:

Ima throw out my opinion hate it or not. I have no love for mays either. I've watched this play over and over and over. Here is what I see. Mays puts his head down and attempts to lead with his right shoulder. Sorry, but that's what the intent looks like to me. Yes, his helmet hits the facemask of schaub. However, if you watch it in slow motion you will see that with schaubs momentum going one way and mays going hard the other way, it causes a whiplash that dislodges schaubs helmet. I know most are going to disagree and that's fine. But If I thought it was an intentional hit to cause injury or an attempt to hit helmet to helmet purposely I'd have no problem admitting it. Also, if mays was attempting to kill him I think he would have sold out all the way to the ground. It's just my opinion and you are free to disagree, but that is what I see and I've watched it time and time again. Slow motion is telling. I don't even blame the refs for flagging really, but I don't think it was as blatant as people think. Also, the ball had barely left his hand so I don't at all think it was late either. Again, it just my opinion.

also, I need to say, that eventhough I dont think it was intentional, I see why it was called as a penalty. He did put his head down, even if I think he tried to hit with his right shoulder, which he did for the most part, its still going to be a penalty. Right or wrong, in todays nfl you cant hit a qb or a reciever like that. They can hit like that, but defenders can't do, and they know it, so they need to avoid it.
    Last edited by smith49; 09-25-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: q

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information