Thread: Helloween/Power Metal

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Helloween/Power Metal

This is just For you North. Pretty much.

Power Metal is huge in Germany and is said to be birthed in Hamburg by Kai Hansen. Others were there before them though, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc but not with the sound that it turned into.

Kai Hansen & Michael Weikath started Helloween in the 80s. After their first album The Walls of Jericho, Hansen had trouble singing and playing guitar at the same time. They bought in a promising young singer, Michael Kiske, who has a loud falsetto voice which was perfect for their new breed of metal, power metal. It was 'happier' than thrash metal and other scenes at the time.

Hansen is credited as the father of the genre, but that IMO is Dio.

Helloween release Keeper of the Seven Keys Pts I & II. Helloween becomes HUGE.

Problems within the record label causes trouble with the band. Singer Kiske wants to go to a more pop sound. Hansen leaves the band and starts his new band Gamma Ray. Kiske leads two albums, with this newfound pop/hard rock sound. They both BOMB.

Kiske is fired, along with the drummer Ingo Schichtenblderger (sp?), one of the most prolific drummers in metal, then killed himself by walking in front of a subway train. He had mental trouble in the past, but i believe if he wasnt kicked out like he had been, he wouldnt have done it.

Andi Deris joins Helloween as their new vocalist. They release some decent material, but it isnt really power metal and far from anything as stellar Keepers. IMO its just like Deris' old band, Pink Cream 69.

Michael Weikath leaves in the 2000s and forms Masterplan, with other members of Helloween..

Finally having heard Gamma Ray and Masterplan all i can say is WOW. Kai Hansen is so awesome, he was the man behind Helloweens greatest work, and its like a modern metal throwback.

Anyone who remotely likes metal and may not have heard of these guys i highly advise check out Masterplan and especially Gamma Ray. I love Gamma Ray Somewhere out in Space album its epic.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

If you like those bands, there is a slew of others that you'll enjoy as well. Start with Blind Guardian.

4. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Ive never been the biggest PM fan but i do like some of it Helloween of course being one of those bands although its mostly just a song here or there for me. But some recent PM bands i have found to like a bit are these guys,

Iron Savior
    Before Eden
    Niviane
    Eternal Thirst
    Arrayan Path
    Stormhammer
    Iron Mask
    Mystic Prophecy
    Hangar

Then there are some usual suspects (Some that add a progressive element to them) one to which Coach eluded too,

Blind Guardian
    Rhapsody of Fire
    Evergrey
    Symphony X
    Primal Fear

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Thanks some of those im familiar with.

Was happy to hear the spiritual successor of one of my favorites once upon a time.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Ive never been the biggest PM fan but i do like some of it Helloween of course being one of those bands although its mostly just a song here or there for me. But some recent PM bands i have found to like a bit are these guys,

Iron Savior
    Before Eden
    Niviane
    Eternal Thirst
    Arrayan Path
    Stormhammer
    Iron Mask
    Mystic Prophecy
    Hangar

Then there are some usual suspects (Some that add a progressive element to them) one to which Coach eluded too,

Blind Guardian
    Rhapsody of Fire
    Evergrey
    Symphony X
    Primal Fear
    Two of my absolute favorites

8. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Two of my absolute favorites
    Same although i struggled with MP's covers album. What did you think of it? I liked the song choices but the execution was rather safe and bland to me.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information