Page 1 of 61 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC & Marvel Universes and All Things Involved

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default The DC & Marvel Universes and All Things Involved

Figured it would be good to have a thread for all things involved with the DC Universe and their movies. Not sure if this is even accurate but found it interesting so give it a look and gander.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post

I havent looked at the links yet but do you think its a good idea to put something like this outside of P & R? Do you think it will go into that direction?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I havent looked at the links yet but do you think its a good idea to put something like this outside of P & R? Do you think it will go into that direction?
    I don't think it's a big deal because it's not really requiring us to share or debate our political policy opinions to the death as we do in P&R, but just to read an opinion interpreting a movie from a political perspective. In doing so, it is less about arguing in favor of political policies and more of a symbolic exercise. In other words, it is just looking at a movie and examining what it is and represents in the grand scheme of things - it is not debating whether or not my political opinion is better than yours. And many movies are inherently political or politically influenced anyway and reflective of the times - especially superhero movies. Like I said, I didn't post them to discuss (although I think there is room to discuss them without engaging in the political talk that we do in P&R), I just wanted to share for those who might find the perspective and analysis interesting.

For example Captain America: Civil War is a very political movie, and I think we can discuss what it represents in the context of film analysis without engaging in political debates over various issues.

7. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I thought the Henry Cavill Superman movies have just been OK. The action scenes at the end of both movies were way too long. They could have shortened both movies by 45 minutes apiece and they would have been the same movie and would have probably been better.

I confuse DC vs. Marvel and what not becaus I'm not a comic book person. I thought there were pieces of Batman v Superman that were just cheap ass set ups for more movies. Maybe I thought that because I waited to watch it and therefore already knew that Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies were coming.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Suicide Squad was amazing. I'm stoked for the Justice League. I've always liked DC over Marvel, but I do like Captain America and I really want to see Dr Strange.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

The 'Is the Joker Robin?' thing has already been debunked by David Ayer.

Here is my thing about the DC Cinematic Universe. I like mythology, plain and simple. Marvel is about humans grappling with power and relationships and DC is about gods grappling with their relationship with power. I think there is room for both approaches, but for that reason I have always leaned more towards DC in terms of comic books and characters. And the theory Batman is so popular in the DC universe is that he is that bridge between men and gods. He is what grounds the Supermen and Wonder Women of the world because he trusts no one. In the comics he has a dossier on how to kill any member of the Justice League in case they go crazy, and he expects them to do the same to him. Batman not only acts as an intermediary between power and powerlessness, but he has also punched god in the face and walked away (Batman v Superman, The Dark Knight Returns, etc).

Like MO has pointed out these movies have hardly been perfect. Marvel has a great way of plotting out their movies and checking boxes, but I think some people like me are getting sick of them making good movies that seem to promise something so much cooler in the NEXT movie in their after credits. The first Avengers movie was a revelation to me seemed like a culmination of all the stories that had told in phase one, but everything since then has been a mixed bag that is supposedly moving toward the Infinity War but is taking forever to get there. That and all the false starts of internal conflict that never amount to much. There is kind of a joke journalist on the Birth.Movies.Death site called Film Crit Hulk who writes in ALL CAPS and breaks down the problems with movies. He did a great write up about why Civil War being merely good wasn't good enough:
    But then marvel proceeded to stop telling stories.

That may sound extreme, but from the very beginning, phase two became this weird, cyclical exercise in "lots of things happening" but "nothing actually happening." Bad guys would show up. Characters would seem to struggle with things. But it was all surface-level stuff. Mere lip service to the idea of change. Endless yet temporary inversions all before resetting the table with everything still in place (or at least promising it that would be to make the audience feel better). And it was done completely haphazardly. Heck, entire character reconciliation moments would be put in as post-credit stingers instead of in the actual god damn movie.
    http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/...ssumed-empathy

Go ahead and check the article out if you want, its a good read but you might want to find an extension that turns off the ALL CAPS way he writes. Its meant as a joke, but it is kind of hard to read through.

Long story short, I'm more interested in the DC formula right now of misfires with good intentions of storytelling and depth than the Marvel formula of checking boxes and assumed empathy. It may have took the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman to fully flesh out what it was trying to say, but the fact that it tried to tackle the deeper aspects of comic book mythology (like is often done in the Graphic Novels they are adapting) makes me appreciate them. Essentially, I want to see my heroes and villains deconstructed as opposed to engineered perfectly for my consumption.

EDIT: If you want to read the great article I posted without ALL CAPS, refer to this bookmark to fix the text: http://simonganz.com/2013/04/the-dehulkifier/

13. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I hate Film Crit Hulk.

It's a superficial hate based solely on his choice to act as a character and type everything in all caps, but it is hate nonetheless.

15. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I hate Film Crit Hulk.

It's a superficial hate based solely on his choice to act as a character and type everything in all caps, but it is hate nonetheless.
    I liked his articles but the CAPS thing threw me off and I could never finish. The extension helps a lot.

To be fair, it seems like everything now (especially on the film geek sites) its just a constant barrage of bitching and moaning. I think they make good points, but I don't see how you can apply some of these criticisms to such wide swaths of movies.

All I know is that Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad are NOT as bad of movies as Blade: Trinity, Elektra, Fantastic 4, etc. and I'm just struggling to find reasons why they seem to get ripped apart by so many critics but embraced by fans.

17. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I loved Blade: Trinity.

*The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Lol. Elektra. My buddy and I won tickets to that horrible flick. We mst3k'd it and had a couple people cracking up.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I loved Blade: Trinity.

Did you ever read what a cluster **** that movie was behind the scenes? Form Patton Oswalt:

"He wouldn't come out of his trailer and he would smoke weed all day", recalls Oswalt. "Then I remember one day on the set- they let everyone pick their own clothes - there was one black actor who was also kind of a club kid. And he wore this shirt with the word 'Garbage' on it in big stylish letters. It was his shirt. And Wesley came down to the set, which he only did for close-ups. Everything else was done by his stand-in. I only did one scene with him. But he comes on and goes, 'There’s only one other black guy in the movie, and you make him wear a shirt that says ‘Garbage?’ You racist mothe******!' And he tried to strangle the director, David Goyer".
    http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/blad...-blade-trinity

There was also a scene in the film where Wesley Snipes refused to open his eyes so they had to use CGI:

That movie was great for all the wrong reasons.

Blade 1 and 2 are easily some of my favorite comic book movies ever.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Lol. Elektra. My buddy and I won tickets to that horrible flick. We mst3k'd it and had a couple people cracking up.
    I did that with Halloween H2O. It was just like 5 people in the theater and we all talked through the whole thing making fun of it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Did you ever read what a cluster **** that movie was behind the scenes? Form Patton Oswalt:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/blad...-blade-trinity

There was also a scene in the film where Wesley Snipes refused to open his eyes so they had to use CGI:

That movie was great for all the wrong reasons.

Blade 1 and 2 are easily some of my favorite comic book movies ever.
    That's awesome.

26. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

It's cool that you guys are so passionate about fiction and make-believe things.

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information