Page 788 of 1171 FirstFirst ... 288 688 738 778 786 787 788 789 790 798 838 888 ... LastLast
Results 11,806 to 11,820 of 17560

Thread: Last movie you saw - and rate it

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Everybody Wants Some - 8.5/10
    It's kind of a "spiritual" sequel to Dazed and Confused.

Really funny and a good trip back to the early eighties.

2. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    This criticism would be valid if everything on television was football. This is not the case.

Nope. Didn't say there was. Instead, the question is why every weekend a new comic book movie opens? It's tiring.

Not critical of tastes. Just worn out on comic book movies. I've enjoyed a few myself.
    I get you. I was worn out on reality TV and a few other things and I just stopped watching. It's easy enough to just not see the movies, but I do understand getting sick of hearing about them.

I don't know, I guess even though they do feature Super Heroes and whatnot if you really want to put the blame on the flood of Summer Blockbusters in general you have to go back to Jaws. Before that the spring/summer movie season was just like the rest of the year. You would get a comedy, a drama, an action movie, and maybe a sequel here or there. Back then there was barely double digit TV channels in many homes and no Internet. I still contend that the best visual storytelling medium today is cable. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, etc. give these characters and stories room to breathe in a way a movie never could. Even now when I do see a great drama (Sicario for example) the only thing I keep thinking was, "Man, I wish that was a show on Netflix that I could binge!"

The only medium that Superhero/Tentpole event type movies are good for is keeping the big studios afloat at the big movie chains so they have to be careful with what they release. You can't pour money into these spectacle type films without a proven formula and right now that is Superheros but the story structure is the same as it was for Star Wars and any mythological tale going back to the Greeks. They can change the skin but the DNA remains the same. Rocky, Star Wars, The Matrix, and now Comic Book movies all share the same Heroes Journey motif. They are junkfood for the masses and they also appeal to a subset of geeks like me. I know I only review the big movies here but I am constantly watching great docs on streaming services and seeing arthouse movies whenever I can. In the fall we will get other types of movies that are essentially Oscar bait like The Revenant.

All I know is when I go to the multiplex I want popcorn flicks with too many special effects and melodrama. When I go to the art-house theater I want personal films and character studies. Things like Netflix and Cable streaming provide me with long form stories/documentaries and great entertainment that is at it's peak right now. And on Thursdays, Sundays, or Mondays during the fall, nothing else matters when the Broncos are on. There are way too many entertainment outlets for me to focus on one and complain about how it's always the same. Then again I may have entertainment A.D.D. looking back at what I typed.

4. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Nope. Didn't say there was. Instead, the question is why every weekend a new comic book movie opens? It's tiring.
    I guess why is it tiring? That's what doesn't make sense to me. If you don't enjoy it, there are other movies coming out, just watch those instead. Me, I enjoy comic book movies and look forward to each of them releasing. I'm not alone or there wouldn't be one opening every weekend. Hollywood has to cater to what the audience wants. There are far more of us that want more comic movies than those that don't otherwise the trend would have died off long ago.

I get that it's not your cup of Joe, but how is a comic movie opening up negatively impacting you that it makes it "tiring"?

6. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I guess why is it tiring? That's what doesn't make sense to me. If you don't enjoy it, there are other movies coming out, just watch those instead. Me, I enjoy comic book movies and look forward to each of them releasing. I'm not alone or there wouldn't be one opening every weekend. Hollywood has to cater to what the audience wants. There are far more of us that want more comic movies than those that don't otherwise the trend would have died off long ago.

I get that it's not your cup of Joe, but how is a comic movie opening up negatively impacting you that it makes it "tiring"?
    Not only that, it just "seems" like a comic book movie comes out every week. Before Wonder Woman on June 6 the last "comic" movie was Guardians 2 on May 5th. The next big one, Spider-Man Homecoming doesn't release until mid-July. So basically one big comic movie a month and then a few next fall. So my football comparison was apt! Basically they get more attention because they are more popular and during "Summer Movie Season" the big dogs get the attention, just like the NFL. If you look at the actual films coming out they are very diverse in their genres: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/m...-schedule.html

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I always liked Spider-Man. (Duh, he's the least lame superhero). This new one looks bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Not only that, it just "seems" like a comic book movie comes out every week. Before Wonder Woman on June 6 the last "comic" movie was Guardians 2 on May 5th. The next big one, Spider-Man Homecoming doesn't release until mid-July. So basically one big comic movie a month and then a few next fall. So my football comparison was apt! Basically they get more attention because they are more popular and during "Summer Movie Season" the big dogs get the attention, just like the NFL. If you look at the actual films coming out they are very diverse in their genres: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/m...-schedule.html
    Yea, I mean you can't use the "oh but it's keeping good movies from being released that aren't comic books" argument.

There are some amazing looking movies coming out like War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk, The Dark Tower (man it looks amazing) The Hitman's Body Guard, Blade Runner 2049, Atomic Blonde, The Mountain Between Us (saw the preview the other day, this also looks good) Star Wars the Last Jedi

There are a lot of very good movies coming out that have nothing to do with comic books.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I don't dislike comic book movies.

My point is that they are crowding out other types of movies. Movies I would go to that don't get made because everything gets invested in comic book movies.

The problem is, and the answer to my rhetorical "why comic book movies every weekend" lament is that there are not enough people like me apparently.

Or. .. .there are enough of me, but the studios are too risk averse to take a chance on more movies that don't cater to this proven formula.

I like to think that the latter is true, but have to be open to the notion that it's the former.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Yea, I mean you can't use the "oh but it's keeping good movies from being released that aren't comic books" argument.

There are some amazing looking movies coming out like War for the Planet of the Apes, Dunkirk, The Dark Tower (man it looks amazing) The Hitman's Body Guard, Blade Runner 2049, Atomic Blonde, The Mountain Between Us (saw the preview the other day, this also looks good) Star Wars the Last Jedi

There are a lot of very good movies coming out that have nothing to do with comic books.
    If I'm being honest, aside from Star Wars which is my all time favorite series and Justice League, Dunkirk is probably the #1 movie on my must-see list this year. Atomic Blonde and Baby Driver look great, too.

12. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

I don't dislike comic book movies.

My point is that they are crowding out other types of movies.
    Movies I would go to that don't get made because everything gets invested in comic book movies.

The problem is, and the answer to my rhetorical "why comic book movies every weekend" lament is that there are not enough people like me apparently.

Or. .. .there are enough of me, but the studios are too risk averse to take a chance on more movies that don't cater to this proven formula.

I like to think that the latter is true, but have to be open to the notion that it's the former.
    I don't agree look at my other post, that's a large number of quality non-comic movies on the horizon. That's not even counting movies that are coming that aren't on my radar due to not being my type of movie.

There are currently 3 studios making comic movies. Fox, Marvel/Disney and WB. Fox is only making X-men movies and Deadpool. Two movies really aren't cutting into their production line. Marvel is in essence part of Disney, but operating on it's own separate from Disney. Marvel isn't going to make non-comic movies so I ask, do you think Disney and it's subsidiaries are making less movies?

That leaves WB which is very similar to Marvel in that DC is it's own studio/production company.

These movies all rake in hundreds of millions of dollars each movie, if anything these movies are financing other projects that wouldn't end up getting done.

14. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

I don't agree look at my other post, that's a large number of quality non-comic movies on the horizon. That's not even counting movies that are coming that aren't on my radar due to not being my type of movie.

There are currently 3 studios making comic movies. Fox, Marvel/Disney and WB. Fox is only making X-men movies and Deadpool. Two movies really aren't cutting into their production line. Marvel is in essence part of Disney, but operating on it's own separate from Disney. Marvel isn't going to make non-comic movies so I ask, do you think Disney and it's subsidiaries are making less movies?

That leaves WB which is very similar to Marvel in that DC is it's own studio/production company.

These movies all rake in hundreds of millions of dollars each movie, if anything these movies are financing other projects that wouldn't end up getting done.

From Variety:

Though there are more big pictures and tiny pictures, there aren’t enough films in the middle. The number of movies that grossed between $50 million and $100 million, essentially the range of grosses that could once be expected for romantic comedies and thrillers, fell from 41 in 2004 to 34 last year. The drop over that time frame was even more severe in the pictures in the under $50 million range, sliding from 81 to 66. Revenue for these films dropped from $1.8 billion to $1.7 billion, while admissions dipped from 287 million to 206 million.

The movie business is a mature industry. Despite the lack of a startup culture, there have been a number of new players entering the fray over the past year or two. Companies like Broad Green, Bleecker Street and STX Entertainment are all looking to make the kind of adult dramas that studios have abandoned in favor of animated fantasies and superhero yarns. Data like this indicates there’s an opportunity for someone to fill the gap. Heck, there’s even money to be made.
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/ho...es-1201526094/

A great piece (by a comic book movie fan) which explains further: http://www.weeklystandard.com/comic-...rticle/2002539

The analogy goes a step further: Just as America has witnessed rising income inequality, the same phenomenon has hit Hollywood movies. Movie revenues aren't growing much, but a smaller and smaller percentage of movies are claiming a larger and larger share of the total pie. Which movies are the 1 percent in this analogy? Comic book movies.

And so, the argument goes, at some point the studio system is going to blow up because its model simply isn't sustainable and--more importantly--because the executives in charge of the business haven't been capable of figuring out how to evolve with the market.
    And references a short film:

Yes, there are other types of films being made, but I don't think I'm totally out in left field arguing that these Super Hero/Comic Book movies are crowding out other releases.

Are they potentially subsidizing other releases? Maybe. Seems they're just subsidizing more of the same though.

I think Mastershake is right on target. The types of projects that in the past would have made me happy to see in the theater are now going straight to Netflix and Amazon etc., and in the end, they're maybe even a better product because of the depth you can reach in a series vs a one-off movie script.

But I miss going to the theater. I used to go 2-3 times a month. Now it's literally a once or maybe twice a year event.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

But I miss going to the theater. I used to go 2-3 times a month. Now it's literally a once or maybe twice a year event.
    There are some hidden gems at the theater, but they come and go quickly. If I wasn't into comic book movies and other big event films I would probably only see a few a year at the big theaters. I've very rarely been let down by seeing independent movies that look interesting. Even if they weren't very good I always enjoy the risks they take. Except Terrance Malick. He sucks. I will never attempt to sit through his up his own ass directing style again.

I guess as far as meaningful entertainment I'm not so much resigned to the fact that it exists mostly in the TV realm now, but I almost embrace it. Right now Monday and Wednesday bring me must see stories between Better Call Saul and Fargo. They do more than any movie can in terms of character studies and story arcs. Plus I don't have to deal with the hassle of the theater. Like I said earlier if I'm gonna drop that kind of money I'm gonna watch a Star Destroyer zoom overhead or see Scarlett Johannsen in a skin tight leather outfit.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I can kind of see NTL's viewpoint but i think it just has more to do with Hollywood's lack of creativity outside of the comic book realm. Either they are rebooting/remaking movies or the other movies being made are really crappy. And for the ones that are "hidden" gems as Shaker puts it they usually dont hit a lot of theaters either because they were independent films or had very low budgets while being made. I kind of understand the comic book burnout as it would seem (although not fact) that every other week there is a comic book movie because that just seems to be what movie goers are flocking too. But, the good news at least with the comic book movies is that rather than being stand alone pieces they all have become intertwined with one another making them a little more thoughtful in creation. The fact they are including tv series is also a nice thing to see. Not sure what the answer is to how Hollywood can answer the popularity of the comic book movies right now as most of the single movies just dont really grab people's attention much anymore. A good example of this is Emma Watson's latest "The Circle" which includes Tom Hanks. You would think the type of plot would be interesting enough for people to like or want to see but it simply is not being received very well both by critics and the public. But, she of course did Beauty and the Beast and it basically crushed it. People for the most part just seem to be more interested in fantasy movies rather than anything else at this point in time. And to some extent i understand, movies should be about just cutting loose and having fun and forgetting all the real life crap going on in our daily lives. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

For me I just hate the theater - it's so expensive and the experience is a pain in the ass. I've not seen a movie that I felt like I had to see it in theaters, either - when it's up on Comcast's site/netflix/online I can just stream it on a laptop meant for media presentation or a HD tv. I just wish I could order the movie when it comes out and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

21. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

can we go back to the scarlett johansson in skintight leather part?

23. The Following 7 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    Everybody Wants Some - 8.5/10
    It's kind of a "spiritual" sequel to Dazed and Confused.

Really funny and a good trip back to the early eighties.
    i love dazed. . . just put this at the top of my queue. . . it better not suck-- i'm counting on you, ECB!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information