Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Fair enough. We can take him and Siemian out of the equation then. That leaves a first and second round bust for Elway at QB.
    I buy that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Fair enough. We can take him and Siemian out of the equation then. That leaves a first and second round bust for Elway at QB.
    The success rate league wide has to be less than 15%. I think you may need to adjust your expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    He's the man and one of the all-time great Broncos.
    That’s the other BM

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    That’s the other BM
    neither brandon marshall is close to an all-time great bronco-- i assumed he must be talking about someone else. . .

5. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Everyone keeps talking about the big names but almost no-one is talking about Mccarron, anyone know what is going on with that?

Last I heard he was in a fight with the Bengals over whether his 1st year should essentially count as a red shirt making him a RFA or if he is a UFA.

Not saying we get him...but he is another guy that would probably get paid on potential by someone.
    The legal dispute is about when he is a UFA or a RFA. The question is whether time he spent on injury settlement tolled (delayed) his tenure as a QB, thus giving him less time served in the NFL, and therefore not eligible to become a UFA. Instead, the Bengals are contending that he's still a restricted FA, so they could give him a 1st round franchise tag (expected) and then deal his rights to some team. Any team that signed him would have to give up a #1 pick, but in practice this means some team would likely engage in negotiations with the Bengals and offer something less than that.

Perhaps a second round pick or even a 3rd rounder. The Bengals would probably not get a first rounder because other teams would know they have no intention of paying AJ McCarron AND Andy Dalton big QB money. Dalton is still the starter and they are apparently not considering replacing him with McCarron, so they have to deal him.

That severely limits their negotiating leverage. They will thus get something for McCarron in this scenario, but not a 1st rounder.

His contention is that the time he spent injured should be included as time served in the NFL and thus he's eligible for FA. Some experts think he has a decent chance before an arbiter of proving his point.

However, this is all academic to the Broncos. He's not coming here.

The thing about AJ McCarron is this: unless John Elway is convinced that McCarron is the answer and QB and is willing to forego using his #5 pick on a QB, McCarron will have no incentive to sign here. He wants to be given the starting job, and not have to compete with a top 10 rookie QB, whom the team would be under intense public scrutiny and pressure to play, because of how much draft capital they invested in him, that as soon as the rookie was ready, he would probably supplant McCarron.

At least that's what the NFL team that drafted him would be hoping (like the Broncos were hoping that Paxton Lynch would beat out Trevor for the starting job last year).

So, McCarron won't want to come here if Elway is planning to use his #5 pick on a QB - and he is.

The Broncos would not be willing to forego using their high draft pick on a QB if there is one they like available, and more to the point, they would be unwilling to guarantee to McCarron's agent that they were intending to sign McCarron to a long term deal and not get another QB to compete with him.

The Denver beat writers insist that the only QB Elway is likely to consider giving up the #5 pick for would be Kirk Cousins in the unlikely event the Redskins were willing to trade him. That would preclude them from taking a top 10 QB of course.

Since some teams are undoubtedly willing to commit to McCarron long term so he wouldn't be willing to come here unless Elway were willing to do the same. Of course the Broncos might trade for him but this is impractical if he doesn't want to come here.

In that case not only would he NOT mentor the Broncos rookie QB, but he would also refuse to re-sign with Denver, so they would be trading a 2nd round pick, say, for his rights for a year or two. You can't have a QB in the locker-room who really doesn't want to be there. It can't be good for leadership to have a disgruntled starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    neither brandon marshall is close to an all-time great bronco-- i assumed he must be talking about someone else. . .

That's like, your opinion, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Andy Staples
    ‏Verified account @Andy_Staples
    2h2 hours ago

Interesting thing @SeniorBowlPhil just told me and @HorowitzJason on @ESPNUonSiriusXM: The Broncos staff requested that Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the Senior Bowl.
    Sigh.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    If because the Draft pick didn't work out, veteran Sanchez couldnt beat out Siemien. Just saying.

I do think Trevor could have possibly been a serviceable starter but he got PTSD and possible bran damage from the beating he took behind a horrible OLine amd awful playcalling.

Now, I believe it is not lack of talent as to why the Oline is ****ed up, I believe it was errors in scheme and stubborness of playcalling that did not put our guys in the best position to be successful.
    He also sucked pretty bad.

True, he didn't have much help, but he also threw a bunch of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Sigh.
    He ain't got no talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Sigh.
    Dude, that just means that the Broncos are interested in coaching all the top QB prospects, especially those they have a chance of drafting: Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. The Browns are expected to draft Sam Darnold because he said he has no objection to going to Cleveland, while Josh Rosen said he doesn't want to go there.

The Giants are expected to take Rosen, because Eli is nearing the end of his career, and was benched by Ben McAdoo (causing McAdoo's firing). Neither Browns nor Giants are expected to be willing to trade those picks.

That leaves the Colts who don't need a QB at #3, followed by the Browns again (from Texans' #4 pick) then Denver. So, barring a trade (possible) Denver will have it's choice of any QB other than the top 2.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-12-2018 at 08:03 PM.

I don't think the Colts or Browns will be able to trade those picks to a QB hungry team. It's possible, but a move up to get Allen, Jackson or Mayfield? Those dudes might not turn out to be that great, and then you'd be the NY Jets trading up to #5 or whatever to get Mark Sanchez! Not a great moment in Jets history.

So, I think the Broncos will be set at #5 to take whoever they like outside Darnold or Rosen. Could be wrong of course, some desperate team might fall in love with Josh Allen or something and trade up to ensure they grab him ahead of the Broncos (assuming they liked him).

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The legal dispute is about when he is a UFA or a RFA. The question is whether time he spent on injury settlement tolled (delayed) his tenure as a QB, thus giving him less time served in the NFL, and therefore not eligible to become a UFA. Instead, the Bengals are contending that he's still a restricted FA, so they could give him a 1st round franchise tag (expected) and then deal his rights to some team. Any team that signed him would have to give up a #1 pick, but in practice this means some team would likely engage in negotiations with the Bengals and offer something less than that.

Perhaps a second round pick or even a 3rd rounder. The Bengals would probably not get a first rounder because other teams would know they have no intention of paying AJ McCarron AND Andy Dalton big QB money. Dalton is still the starter and they are apparently not considering replacing him with McCarron, so they have to deal him.

That severely limits their negotiating leverage. They will thus get something for McCarron in this scenario, but not a 1st rounder.

His contention is that the time he spent injured should be included as time served in the NFL and thus he's eligible for FA. Some experts think he has a decent chance before an arbiter of proving his point.

However, this is all academic to the Broncos. He's not coming here.
    It isn't even remotely NON academic to the Broncos. If another team were to trade/sign him then it could be a team that is not in play for a QB meaning one less team the Broncos have to contend with.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dude, that just means that the Broncos are interested in coaching all the top QB prospects, especially those they have a chance of drafting: Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. The Browns are expected to draft Sam Darnold because he said he has no objection to going to Cleveland, while Josh Rosen said he doesn't want to go there.

The Giants are expected to take Rosen, because Eli is nearing the end of his career, and was benched by Ben McAdoo (causing McAdoo's firing). Neither Browns nor Giants are expected to be willing to trade those picks.

That leaves the Colts who don't need a QB at #3, followed by the Browns again (from Texans' #4 pick) then Denver. So, barring a trade (possible) Denver will have it's choice of any QB other than the top 2.
    I have no faith in their quarterback evaluation skills.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

I don't think the Colts or Browns will be able to trade those picks to a QB hungry team. It's possible, but a move up to get Allen, Jackson or Mayfield? Those dudes might not turn out to be that great, and then you'd be the NY Jets trading up to #5 or whatever to get Mark Sanchez! Not a great moment in Jets history.

So, I think the Broncos will be set at #5 to take whoever they like outside Darnold or Rosen. Could be wrong of course, some desperate team might fall in love with Josh Allen or something and trade up to ensure they grab him ahead of the Broncos (assuming they liked him).
    i think that's largely accurate. . . of course, the problem is that none of mayfield/allen/jackson is worth the #5 pick anymore than they're worth #3 or 4. . . we'll be reaching our arms off if we can't trade back, or trade back into the tail end of the 1st for one of them. . . teams do dumb things when they don't have QBs. . . it's a real challenge for elway and co. to stay disciplined, rather than ignoring everything else until that glaring need is filled. . . that's part of the appeal of going after kirk cousins, which i absolutely believe is their first choice. . .

17. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information