Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Denver Broncos stifle Marshawn Lynch with revived run defense

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Denver Broncos stifle Marshawn Lynch with revived run defense

DENVER -- They muted Melvin Gordon, erased Ezekiel Elliott and snuffed Shady, a.k.a. LeSean McCoy. So when the Denver Broncos suited up Sunday for a battle with the Oakland Raiders and their punishing, recently unretired running back, they were fairly confident they could blot out Beast Mode, too.

Nine carries for 12 yards later, Marshawn Lynch had been made painfully aware of a new reality in the Rockies: The Broncos, who last year seemed to be defending opposing runners with red capes and shouts of "Toro!" have called B.S. on that state of affairs. Four games into the 2017 season, it's clear that Denver is giving no ground -- and that's a major reason it looks poised to make some serious noise in the AFC.

In a battle of AFC West rivals coming off disappointing defeats, the Broncos (3-1) smothered the Raiders' offense in a 16-10 victory at Sports Authority Field, sending 76,909 fans home happy after safety Justin Simmons made a game-clinching interception at the Denver 8-yard-line with 1:46 remaining. And while the newest member of the No Fly Zone might have finished things, it was the No Room To Run crew which once again set the tone against suddenly struggling Oakland (2-2).

"We're gonna shut down everybody we play, I promise you," said inside linebacker Brandon Marshall, who had six tackles on Sunday. "We just have a different tenacity about us this year, a different mindset. A lot of guys came back stronger and more focused. We're just more aggressive, more confident."
    rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ed-run-defense

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

It is great that the defense is now shutting down the run. Does anyone feel that could mean that by shutting down the run, it is taking away somewhat from shutting down the pass?

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    It is great that the defense is now shutting down the run. Does anyone feel that could mean that by shutting down the run, it is taking away somewhat from shutting down the pass?
    No, I don't think that at all.

Well, there's only two things an offense can do: run the ball or throw the ball. If they can't run it, they have to throw it. But, that makes them one-dimensional. If this continues, expect the Broncos defense to continue to be ranked #1 against the run, and mediocre against the pass, because teams are going to have to throw on them.

The problems are all on offense, where the Broncos are just sucking and failing to score points in the red zone. There's not much hope of fixing those problems unless the OL improves, and right now it's just as horrible as last year.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Well, there's only two things an offense can do: run the ball or throw the ball. If they can't run it, they have to throw it. But, that makes them one-dimensional. If this continues, expect the Broncos defense to continue to be ranked #1 against the run, and mediocre against the pass, because teams are going to have to throw on them.

The problems are all on offense, where the Broncos are just sucking and failing to score points in the red zone. There's not much hope of fixing those problems unless the OL improves, and right now it's just as horrible as last year.
    I have no doubt that the "No Fly Zone" will turn back to dominant once our young safeties have some more experience under their belts. Yes, they both have more athletic skill than TJ possessed at this point in time, however, they aren't TJ, they still have some learning to do.

Also, once we Have Shane Ray back I think our pass rush will get an extra jump, and the longer Joe Woods is calling the D shots the better he'll get at it. I don't think because we're stuffing the run we'll be mediocre against the pass... We were bad against the run last year because we were bad against the run, not because we were the #1 pass D.

8. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

They're only allowing 210 yards per game...they're doing just fine.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 7 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Is our run defense for real? We shut down Gordon, Elliot, McCoy and Lynch. Held them to a combined 50 rush attempts and 95 yards with 0 TDs?

Peko imo was our most needed offseason FA addition.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Definitely. First, it helps to create third-and-longs, which makes it very difficult to get first downs.
    We saw that last Sunday when Oakland never saw the red zone. It also allows the pass rushers
    to pin their ears back on second and third downs, which not only creates sacks but, probably just
    as important, pressures, which lead to incompletions and interceptions. The one-dimensional
    effect on the offense makes it very hard for the opponent to win the game.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I think to some degree it is. We are stacking more boxes which gives us a bit fewer resources in zone schemes. When you combine that with the fact that our pass rush isn't world beating like it was, you are giving a bit up to make sure you are stopping the run. Effectively we are daring teams more often to throw the ball.

It hasn't really been super exploited, but we saw Buffalo basically move the ball nearly at will in the air. The short amount of yards allowed, was more a testament to the short fields than it was to some great performance by the secondary.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I think to some degree it is. We are stacking more boxes which gives us a bit fewer resources in zone schemes. When you combine that with the fact that our pass rush isn't world beating like it was, you are giving a bit up to make sure you are stopping the run. Effectively we are daring teams more often to throw the ball.

It hasn't really been super exploited, but we saw Buffalo basically move the ball nearly at will in the air. The short amount of yards allowed, was more a testament to the short fields than it was to some great performance by the secondary.
    Actually, VJ talked about it saying that we're playing more zone than before. Our pass defense lives for man-under coverage which allows our strength (DBs and pass rushers) to lock in. Zone, no matter how well it's played, creates gaps in the coverage that can be exploited if the pass rush doesn't get there. The benefit of zone is that everyone is looking at the QB and RB and they can't break out and get big gains because the defense's backs are to them. If we continue to play more zone, passing yardage will be higher. If we revert back to more man coverage, passing yards will go down but most likely at the expense of rushing yardage.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Actually, VJ talked about it saying that we're playing more zone than before. Our pass defense lives for man-under coverage which allows our strength (DBs and pass rushers) to lock in. Zone, no matter how well it's played, creates gaps in the coverage that can be exploited if the pass rush doesn't get there. The benefit of zone is that everyone is looking at the QB and RB and they can't break out and get big gains because the defense's backs are to them. If we continue to play more zone, passing yardage will be higher. If we revert back to more man coverage, passing yards will go down but most likely at the expense of rushing yardage.
    I don't think we are saying different things. More zone and more stacked boxes, with less effective pass rush than last year means more yards in the air being allowed. So far, that trade off has been a good one.

Our pass rush hasn’t been as good so far. Hopefully that will change when Ray is up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

Well and the thing is, we're not even ranked mediocre against the pass. We're ranked 10th. The nature of the league today is that it's pass happy. 210 YPG is what we are averaging and that's good enough for 10th this year.

I mentioned this in my stats thread for the week, but we're not far from being on pace to set the record for fewest rushing yards allowed in a season. I doubt we hit it because we're going to start giving up more yards at some point, but what is craziest about the fact that we're even close to being on pace for it, is that it was set in a season that only had 9 football games played.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default The Broncos’ defense has been a run-stopping force. But here’s “the crazy part” …

The numbers alone are staggering, but they tell only half the story. Because with every mention of the Broncos’ stifling 50.8 yards rushing allowed per game, their NFL-low 260.8 total yards allowed per game or their 1.9-yards-per-carry average surrendered to a quartet of Pro Bowl running backs comes an inherent qualifier:

What if?

What if the Broncos (3-1) eliminated the deep passing plays that led to three touchdowns in the first four weeks of the season?

What if they continue to suffocate their opponents’ running game but also shut down their passing attack?

“That’s the scary part. From the outside looking in, is there is so much more that could be accomplished with this defense,” safety Justin Simmons said. “It’s scary because, all in all, we played pretty well (against the Oakland Raiders last weekend), lights out. But there are a lot of plays we left out there on the field, where they shouldn’t have scored at all.”
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/06...fense-ceiling/

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information