Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin to the Hall of Fame

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Thnikkaman View Post
    Walker has only played about a half of a season games less than your Average Hall of Famer. I'm not saying that Walker's playing time isn't detrimental to his nomination, but its not like there aren't other players in the Hall that have played as much or less than Walker.

No, I don't expect him to get in on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th ballot, but I do expect to see him be on more than a quarter of the ballets.
    Again...Larkin, Trammell, Bagwell, McGriff, Morris...I cant say Walker is more deserving than those guys. Im actually surprised he got more than Murphy and Mattingly.

Next year will be tougher. Add Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, Biggio

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    He's in the Canadien Hall of Fame.
    There ya go.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums
    Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Bets on how many ballots before Bonds gets in?

Bitter Clinger. Deal with it.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post

I wouldnt be surprised if he gets in next year. McGwire has been black-listed, but I think Bonds achieved more and there will be people that look past BALCO. I wont be shocked if he gets in...but wont be shocked if he doesnt either. I just think he has a much better chance than McGwire.

Sosa is eligible next year too

Adopted Bronco:
    PTBNL

Quote Originally Posted by rcsodak View Post

I would set the over under at 8.5 years.
    I got mind control while I'm here
    You goin' hate me when I'm gone
    Ain't no blood clot and no fear
    I got hope inside of my bones

I know that Larkin stole the MVP, but Smith stole gold gloves from Larkin when he had more errors and a worse fielding percentage.

I just love the guy. Damn near cried when I found out about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

7. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    I know that Larkin stole the MVP, but Smith stole gold gloves from Larkin when he had more errors and a worse fielding percentage.

I just love the guy. Damn near cried when I found out about it.
    I won $2000 the year he won the MVP. I was more of a gambler back then and I put money on the 20-1 odds that he'd win.

Other than that, my opinion on Larkin is skewed a bit. I grew up watching the smartest SS ever play the game and do it every single day. I liked Larkin, but it always bothered me that he was ALWAYS injured. His numbers arent the greatest ever, but what he meant to his team is what makes him HoF worthy to me.

As far as fielding. Larkin had a career .975...Ozzie was at .978

Rip was .979

I understand, but look at Ozzie's numbers in the last half of his career for fielding and then look at Larkin.

Larkin also had nine silver slugger awards. All three of those guys were phenoms.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

I understand, but look at Ozzie's numbers in the last half of his career for fielding and then look at Larkin.

Larkin also had nine silver slugger awards. All three of those guys were phenoms.
    No offense, but how many other SS's in the NL could hit during Larkin's time? Jay Bell...Jeff Blauser...Renteria?

Wasnt too much competition for those Silver Slugger awards.

As far as fielding %...are you referring to the years when Larkin only played 60-80 games?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arkiba01.shtml

You tell me how many times he only played 60-80 games.

Three times not counting his rookie year.

Out of 19 years. He hit 295 for his career, that's good in ANY era for a career average.

I love you to death, but we've had these conversations before, and you have some really strange and inaccurate views on Larkin. Look how many more errors Ripken has compared to him. I know you can counter with he played more games, but I can counter that with he also played more games hurt, and there are a lot of people who say Ripken hurt his team at times while on the streak.

As far as Ozzie goes, Larkin has a strong case. Larkin got robbed of gold gloves on Ozzie during several years where he had a better percentage and less errors. Ozzie benefited from being flashy and he couldn't hit for shit.

Adopted Bronco:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...arkiba01.shtml

You tell me how many times he only played 60-80 games.

Three times not counting his rookie year.

Out of 19 years. He hit 295 for his career, that's good in ANY era for a career average.

I love you to death, but we've had these conversations before, and you have some really strange and inaccurate views on Larkin. Look how many more errors Ripken has compared to him. I know you can counter with he played more games, but I can counter that with he also played more games hurt, and there are a lot of people who say Ripken hurt his team at times while on the streak.

As far as Ozzie goes, Larkin has a strong case. Larkin got robbed of gold gloves on Ozzie during several years where he had a better percentage and less errors. Ozzie benefited from being flashy and he couldn't hit for shit.
    Take Larkin's last 5 years and add them up and he averaged playing 85 games per year. In only 2 of them did he have enough AB's to qualify for any hitting stats. One of them he batted .245. Larkin was a good player and a good base stealer. If he could have ever stayed healthy, his numbers would be better. Hall of Fame worthy? Borderline in my opinion, but my opinion means nothing.

As far as Rip hurting his team...I'll ask the same question I ask anyone else. Who was on the roster that was a better option?...even during his worst slumps. And compared to most SS's of the era...his numbers were still better.

And coincidentally...his worst offensive seasons were also some of his best defensive seasons.

Coach, I don't disagree with you, but unless you are an ultra-elite all-time player your career can and will be nitpicked.

If you are an elite fielder of all time, and Larkin is AND you have 9 silver slugger awards, you are a hall of famer. I don't think he was a first ballot hall of fame guy, but he is easily a Hall of Famer.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Edgar Martinez is still twiddling his thumbs while stalled in the 30-something percent range.

Glad Barry made it...

but man, at some point I'd like to see NL voters get over their abject terror of the DH position and actually vote for it like any other lineup position. Do 1B need to hit more than 2B to get in the HOF? Sure. Why? Because positionally their glove isn't worth much so bigger guys can play the position.

Any hitter can play DH since by default glovework is not an issue, so only the very best hitters should get in. I understand that.

*sighs* Just vote for DH with those principles in mind, and maybe the guy with the 5th best OBP ALL-TIME for RH hitters might one day make it into the hall.

~G
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

15. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

DH is a position. A crappy one, but it's legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    All valid points, but he earned those numbers playing in Denver. You can call Coors as cavernous as you want, but I dare anyone to argue that he and guys like Castilla, Gallarraga, etc didnt benefit from the location.

Plus...he's Canadian.

Dont forget the biggest fraud of all time, Dante Bichette played there. One season he had 31 HR at home and 9 on the road.

all before the stupid humidor machine.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information