Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Proposed MLB Rule Changes To Speed Up Games

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

How about we just leave the great game of baseball alone?

2. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    How about we just leave the great game of baseball alone?
    The argument I hear the most is that the length of the games is off putting to fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    The argument I hear the most is that the length of the games is off putting to casual fans.
    FIFY.

I get it. I guess the one I'd say to try is to enforce the pitch clock thing. Baseball players who are not pitchers will be happy about it too. Defenders love pitchers who work fast.

Casual fans are where the money be - diehards are just that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Casual fans are where the money be - diehards are just that.
    Bingo. Catering to die-hards and letting the casual fans wilt away will kill baseball. I am definitely in the casual fan category, and it's just hard for me to get amped up for a random game in June the same way I can flip on a random NFL or NBA game and be engaged. Not only do the need to address pace of play, but I think they need to shorten the season as well. No game ever feels that important with 162 of them.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Bingo. Catering to die-hards and letting the casual fans wilt away will kill baseball. I am definitely in the casual fan category, and it's just hard for me to get amped up for a random game in June the same way I can flip on a random NFL or NBA game and be engaged. Not only do the need to address pace of play, but I think they need to shorten the season as well. No game ever feels that important with 162 of them.
    And speeding up the game to a 2-1/2 hour contest instead of 3+ is exactly where my suggestion comes from. Too many batters wait until it is 2-and-2 before they get serious about putting a ball in play. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to sit through all those pitches waiting for something to happen. Reducing a strike and a ball from the count forces pitchers not to waste pitches and batters not to be complacent at the plate before producing a result. Sure, purists will hate the idea but the speeding up is what today's microwave attention-spanned fans want.

It beats the other ideas I hear like pitch clocks, putting a runner on second to start each half-inning from the 10th on, more Designated Hitters, requiring pitchers to stay in for three batters, etc. THOSE damage the game more in my mind than eliminating waste pitches.

Just wait until the first instant replay challenge about whether the pitcher got the pitch off before the pitch clock expired while we all sit on our asses hoping New York can get it right in under five minutes. TVs everywhere will start changing channels.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Would be nice to make three the number for both balls and strikes.
    That would slow the game down. More walks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    And speeding up the game to a 2-1/2 hour contest instead of 3+ is exactly where my suggestion comes from. Too many batters wait until it is 2-and-2 before they get serious about putting a ball in play. Meanwhile, the rest of us have to sit through all those pitches waiting for something to happen. Reducing a strike and a ball from the count forces pitchers not to waste pitches and batters not to be complacent at the plate before producing a result. Sure, purists will hate the idea but the speeding up is what today's microwave attention-spanned fans want.

It beats the other ideas I hear like pitch clocks, putting a runner on second to start each half-inning from the 10th on, more Designated Hitters, requiring pitchers to stay in for three batters, etc. THOSE damage the game more in my mind than eliminating waste pitches.

Just wait until the first instant replay challenge about whether the pitcher got the pitch off before the pitch clock expired while we all sit on our asses hoping New York can get it right in under five minutes. TVs everywhere will start changing channels.
    Your proposal changes the fabric of the game. Enforcing an already written rule about time doesn’t.

Last paragraph: There’s no way they allow that to be reviewable, so I’m not even worried about it.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I don’t know how baseball fixes this. Even going back to 154 games, ala the 1900s-1960s, doesn’t fix that feeling for a casual fan.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Sources: MLB prepared to ditch clock until 2022

Major League Baseball is prepared to scuttle the implementation of a pitch clock until at least 2022 as part of a wide-ranging proposal to the MLB Players Association that would include the ability to implement a three-batter-minimum rule for pitchers and roster-size changes in 2020, sources familiar with the plan told ESPN.

MLB also is proposing limitations on position players' usage as pitchers, getting rid of the waiver trading period, further cutting mound visits and potentially shortening inning breaks, sources said.

The proposal, sent by the league on Tuesday, is the latest in a back-and-forth bargaining session centered around the league's unilateral ability to implement a 20-second pitch clock. Amid tension between the parties stemming from a free-agent market that players have found unsatisfactory, the league, which is testing the pitch clock in spring training games, offered not to revisit the issue until after the 2021 expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement as part of a broader set of rule changes.
    rest - http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...tch-clock-2022

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

FIFY.

I get it. I guess the one I'd say to try is to enforce the pitch clock thing. Baseball players who are not pitchers will be happy about it too. Defenders love pitchers who work fast.
    Again: Already written rule fixes the problem.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Again: Already written rule fixes the problem.
    That's why I said "enforce".

16. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Mo - for the reliever thing, what about a compromise where if the reliever gives up a hit or a walk he can be pulled? Would that help at all?
    Why any of this, though? I don’t want a compromise on this. It’s dumb.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That's why I said "enforce".
    We’re in agreement here.

Adopted Bronco:

Because baseball is and always has been a marathon. The teams that are able to sustain that marathon and win a playoff spot on the last day of the season would probably argue against a shorter season.

Plus, it would be a hard transition at this point because so many players have performance clauses in their contracts. With a shorter season, those metrics would be harder to reach and existing contracts would have to be re-written.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information