Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: M. Shanahan 'was close' to returning to Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default M. Shanahan 'was close' to returning to Broncos

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- As he watched his son coach against the team he guided for 14 seasons Saturday, former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan revealed he was indeed poised to return as the team's coach before the 2018 season, but that "it didn't work out."

The fact that Broncos president of football operations/general manager John Elway had extensive discussions with Shanahan after the Broncos had finished 5-11 in Vance Joseph's first season as coach has been well known. But Saturday, as Shanahan watched his son Kyle lead the San Francisco 49ers in joint practices against the franchise he led to two Super Bowl wins, Mike Shanahan spoke openly about his near return to the sideline.

"I was close, I was close,'' Shanahan said. "One thing that has to happen is you all have to be on the same page. One thing you've got to make sure of when you are a head football coach that the owner, the GM, the quarterback are all on the same page. And if it doesn't happen the chances of you winning the Super Bowl aren't very good. ... I had a great conversation with John as everybody knows, it didn't work out, sometimes it works out for the right reasons.''
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...urning-broncos

I have a feeling Ellis messed this up

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

I wonder why. I know about the 'process' argument that Ellis allegedly made, but that only speaks to an underlying reluctance. I have mixed thoughts on the idea of Shanny Sr. returning, but one thing is for sure, his results with the Broncos speak for themselves.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

At first I thought it said M Night Shanahan and I was like hmmmm a Denver based thriller.

5. The Following 9 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post

Carol in all seriousness I think bringing him back would have been a mistake.

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I wonder why. I know about the 'process' argument that Ellis allegedly made, but that only speaks to an underlying reluctance. I have mixed thoughts on the idea of Shanny Sr. returning, but one thing is for sure, his results with the Broncos speak for themselves.
    Firing a head coach after one season is something really bad franchises do. And after Shanahan bombed in Washington, and had a rough ending here, I would have been really skeptical. With that being said, there were talks that Shanahan might have convinced Cousins to come with him. I know Cousins still gets a bad rap via his playoff record and what not, but we know Shanahan knows QB's, and preferred Cousins over RG3. There would have been potential for great success here.

TL;DR - it would have been really interesting, but meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Carol in all seriousness I think bringing him back would have been a mistake.
    I do, too, Carol. Even though he owned Belichick and knew how to win championships, it would have felt off to me.

So how much of SB 50 was Ellis? Let's be honest, and I'm not sure the answer.

11. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

You broke up for a reason. Yeah the sex was awesome.

Shanny says yeah you handle the draft.

Righhttttt. He’s type A as they come.

And goddam he was a brutal GM. Worse than McD.

13. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jerry Rosburg

Missed opportunity. Could have had us on track with a real franchise QB. How some of you can’t see that is beyond me. Ellis can screw himself.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
    Missed opportunity. Could have had us on track with a real franchise QB. How some of you can’t see that is beyond me. Ellis can screw himself.
    Ok I’ll bite.

You pay a guy new to you a shit load guaranteed without the benefit of at least getting his rookie deal also.

Kiss our top 5-8 defense goodbye.

16. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BeefStew25 View Post
    Ok I’ll bite.

You pay a guy new to you a shit load guaranteed without the benefit of at least getting his rookie deal also.

Kiss our top 5-8 defense goodbye.
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1...atrick-mahomes
    The problem with teams committing so much of their cap space to quarterbacks is that it is clearly an unsuccessful strategy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I wish he would come back in some capacity.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Ellis was why Shanahan left in the first place. Ellis supposedly convinced Pat Bowlen to fire him.

On the radio they were reporting that Shanahan told Elway that there was no way Ellis would agree to bring him back, but Elway was so eager to explore discussions with Shanahan that he insisted talks.

They had the talks and Elway and Shanahan came to agreement. I would have thought like Shanahan that Ellis would never agree; normally companies never re-hire the same guy you fired. It's like saying "Oops! Turns out we shouldn't have fired you in the first place!"

No organization likes to admit publicly that they screwed up by firing Shanny and hiring Hurricane McDaniels to come in, destroy the Broncos franchise and eat their children.

Given the initial bad blood when the Broncos fired Shanahan he hasn't been back around here for years (this year he's been to training camp and Shanny and the Broncos are now close (Elway and Fangio love him).
    Last edited by Cugel; 08-18-2019 at 05:17 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Ellis was why Shanahan left in the first place. Ellis supposedly convinced Pat Bowlen to fire him.

On the radio they were reporting that Shanahan told Elway that there was no way Ellis would agree to bring him back, but Elway was so eager to explore discussions with Shanahan that he insisted talks.

They had the talks and Elway and Shanahan came to agreement. I would have thought like Shanahan that Ellis would never agree; normally companies never re-hire the same guy you fired. It's like saying "Oops! Turns out we shouldn't have fired you in the first place!"

No organization likes to admit publicly that they screwed up by firing Shanny and hiring Hurricane McDaniels to come in, destroy the Broncos franchise and eat their children.

Given the initial bad blood when the Broncos fired Shanahan he hasn't been back around here for years (this year he's been to training camp and Shanny and the Broncos are now close (Elway and Fangio love him).
    Bro. Shanny didn't leave he was fired. And lets not forget, i know it was 10 years ago but the Team got stagnant. 08 Broncos Defense was one of the worst we ever saw, I thought 94 Broncos D was bad. To lose those last 3 games when they had everything locked in was a major failure. McD may have been the wrong hire but Shanny at the time had to go. The Detroit blowout home loss in 07 was an eye opener for me. I knew his time in Denver was over. Its a shame how it ended.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 08-18-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Shanny was a great coach, but a horrible GM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

24. The Following 4 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Shanny was a great coach, but a horrible GM.
    He wasn’t as bad as GM as many make him out to be, he made mistakes but so does Belicheat.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

26. The Following 3 Users High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information