Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Yes, would love to see your rub recipe.
    It’s nothing special as far as being unique..but it’s one I put together through trial and error in Texas style! Little heat little sweet. I use that for up to a 10 pounder…and save just a little to mix into the beef stock that I inject.

5 tablespoons paprika
    3 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder
    1/2 cup brown sugar

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Please do, and walk through what you did? Do you spritz? Did you wrap at a certain point? Did you put back on after wrapping, or go straight to resting in cooler, et? Was it amazing? If weather looks good next week, I think I'm going to pop my brisket cherry.
    Up at 4:30. Took the brisket out of the fridge and got everything set up.

Trimmed the brisket. Then applied my rub. I do 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. That's really all you need for a good piece of brisket. I've played around with a lot of other ingredients. .. . nothing else really adds anything to it.

Got my fire to the right temp, (235) and put it on at 6.

Wrapped it at around 11:00. Internal temp was at 178.

It was done around 1:30, internal temp at 200. Put it in the cooler wrapped. This one really went fast.

Left it in the cooler until we at at 5:00.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

Trimmed the brisket. Then applied my rub. I do 50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. That's really all you need for a good piece of brisket. I've played around with a lot of other ingredients. .. . nothing else really adds anything to it.

It was done around 1:30, internal temp at 200. Put it in the cooler wrapped. This one really went fast.

j

Funny how there are so many ways to cook this type of meat, and they all can turn out amazing flavour…. I’m going to try one in your style one day too… can’t know too many ways to cook brisket !

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

My baby is dying… my first traeger is having issues, now on life support… sad day…

So in the wee hours of the morning, I ordered a new member of the family….

Traeger Grills Pro Series 575, with the wifi and app temp controls… went with the smaller version as I don’t cook enough volume to justify the larger model…even though it’s awesome!

Will arrive Thursday so I can build it and have good food for another embarrassing broncos loss.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post

How big was it? That seems much faster than most of what I've read/seen in videos. Obviously, temp matters, as I've seen some that talk about 195 or 225 or even 275 for initial, unwrapped cook.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

How big was it? That seems much faster than most of what I've read/seen in videos. Obviously, temp matters, as I've seen some that talk about 195 or 225 or even 275 for initial, unwrapped cook.
    It was 11 pounds. Still, went really fast.

11. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Forgot to take the brisket out in time to defrost for the weekend, so that's now on tap for next weekend. However, in order to free up room in the freezers, I'm going to cook a standing rib roast one day and a spatchcocked chicken the other. Since I can't get decent meat locally, I've been stocking up in the winter/very early spring and putting in the freezer to use during the summer, but we didn't go through as much this summer as expected (trying to be more careful with what we eat), but now am going to ramp up my smoking to once or twice a week. Make sure I free up room for some heritage turkeys.

I did do a test run of my pellet grill for an overnight cook, and loaded the hopper and set it to 180/super smoke, and then had my stand alone temp monitor (Fireboard 2) setup with an ambient temp probe to make sure it neither went out nor fluctuated too greatly and I think the overnight average was about 178, with the ambient hanging just below the center of the upper grate. So, that was a successful test. I think next Friday or Saturday night, before going to bed, probably midnight or so, I'll put the brisket on at 180, and then in the morning, raise the temp to 225 or so (assuming it's not already at wrap temp) and then wrap once it hits 165 or so.

Bought a couple alternatives to a smoke tube to try and get a little more smoke. Both have the ability to burn from both ends, to get more smoke rolling. The round one can also be flipped over, and then has a much longer burn time, as the usable diameter of the smoke ring is bigger when you flip it over.

Don't have the round one pushed all the way to the left, so it won't mess with the temp probe on the grill, but trying to use both will take up more room than I would want, so if I use both I'll probably put on on top and one on lower shelf, or see if they fit one front to back on one side. Right now, this is just a test to see how cleanly they burn and how much smoke they produce. In both cases, I have a base of pellets to hopefully keep burning, and wood chips on top for hopefully a little extra smoke intensity.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Those are pretty sweet looking. Bet they work great!

Breaking in the new traeger… seasoned it and cooked steak a couple of nights.

The new controllers are nice. Temp stays even. Well built like my original model one. I just have to get used the normal subtleties that come with a new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    Those are pretty sweet looking. Bet they work great!

Breaking in the new traeger… seasoned it and cooked steak a couple of nights.

The new controllers are nice. Temp stays even. Well built like my original model one. I just have to get used the normal subtleties that come with a new toy!
    Was watching one of the traeger\meat church videos and he mentioned it had a keep warm mode, which is pretty cool.

Was watching one of the traeger\meat church videos and he mentioned it had a keep warm mode, which is pretty cool.
    Ya it does…love the ability to control it from my phone or iPad…still like my meater probe better … but theirs is pretty good too.

Ya it does…love the ability to control it from my phone or iPad…still like my meater probe better … but theirs is pretty good too.
    I can control mine from phone, but 180 is lowest temp. Sounds like some treagars can go lower, just warm enough to keep food out of danger zone

I can control mine from phone, but 180 is lowest temp. Sounds like some treagars can go lower, just warm enough to keep food out of danger zone
    Ya. Mine has a specific “keep warm” cycle. It says it holds at 165…lower than my oven, surprisingly…which keep warm is 220
    Last edited by Eddiemac87; 10-08-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Ya. Mine has a specific “keep warm” cycle. It says it holds at 165…lower than my over surprisingly…which keep warm is 220
    So, not significantly lower than my 180, but I wish mine had a bit lower setting like that.

So, not significantly lower than my 180, but I wish mine had a bit lower setting like that.
    I have so many little features to try out…

Tomorrow for Canadian thanksgiving I’m baking an apple cinnamon cake for dessert… don’t have apple pellets, but I’ll see how a competition blend works

22. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information