Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Pellet smokers

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Wound up giving my travel recteq a bigger workout than planned (had to restock pellets at Walmart).

Did burgers yesterday, then a THICK cowboy Ribeye (3lbs, sliced up lide a roast at the end) last night.

Then, my father wanted some pulled pork (he lives about 10 minutes from where we are in RVs with my sister and BIL), so my sister ran out last night and got a small butt from Wal-mart, which is on the smoker.

My BIL would like me to try what he's done a few times, which is when it hits stall territory, put it in a pan with a cup of coffee and then seal it up and braise it until done. Not convinced, but going to give it a try. I'm cooking for them, so willing to experiment.
    How'd it go? If well you'll have to give more details on the method. I'm assuming it wasn't wrapped, just in a pan? I have a hard time seeing how that would help with the stall

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    How'd it go? If well you'll have to give more details on the method. I'm assuming it wasn't wrapped, just in a pan? I have a hard time seeing how that would help with the stall
    Came out good, and I was skeptical with a cheap walmart butt. He said he does it the last two hours, but not sure how he knows it's the last two hours, unless he pulls at time, and not temp. I figured I would do it roughly at 155 or 160, around stall territory, where if I am going to wrap or put in a pan to braise, that's when I normally do it.

I honestly don't know that the coffee did anything more than any other liquid would have done. All it's doing is braising to speed things up. I've done it before with apple cider vinegar or other liquids. Meat was good and all but one small area shredded very easily, nearly falling apart on its own in many areas.

A pan sealed with aluminum foil or wrapping the butt in aluminum foil, both create a sealed, steam environment and will help push through the stall. But, beyond that, not sure the coffee does anything.

That said, the last butt I cooked at home a few weeks ago, I didn't wrap or braise in a pan, and wife and I much preferred the bark, which unless I'm in a hurry at home, I'll do non wrap/pan butts going forward.

Came out good, and I was skeptical with a cheap walmart butt. He said he does it the last two hours, but not sure how he knows it's the last two hours, unless he pulls at time, and not temp. I figured I would do it roughly at 155 or 160, around stall territory, where if I am going to wrap or put in a pan to braise, that's when I normally do it.

I honestly don't know that the coffee did anything more than any other liquid would have done. All it's doing is braising to speed things up. I've done it before with apple cider vinegar or other liquids. Meat was good and all but one small area shredded very easily, nearly falling apart on its own in many areas.

A pan sealed with aluminum foil or wrapping the butt in aluminum foil, both create a sealed, steam environment and will help push through the stall. But, beyond that, not sure the coffee does anything.

Me and toy best buddy…the Seahawks fan… a great meal before the fighting. Haha

That said, the last butt I cooked at home a few weeks ago, I didn't wrap or braise in a pan, and wife and I much preferred the bark, which unless I'm in a hurry at home, I'll do non wrap/pan butts going forward.
    That’s interesting. I’ve never tried to fight the stall. Speaking of coffee though…I really want to try a coffee rub on a brisket.. anyone done that ? And how did it turn out?

For the Broncos/Seahawks Monday night I’m doing a prime rib! Smoked early then heat turned up. Doing potatoes, fresh beans and yorkshires with it!

4. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    That’s interesting. I’ve never tried to fight the stall. Speaking of coffee though…I really want to try a coffee rub on a brisket.. anyone done that ? And how did it turn out?

For the Broncos/Seahawks Monday night I’m doing a prime rib! Smoked early then heat turned up. Doing potatoes, fresh beans and yorkshires with it!
    That sounds good. I made one a couple years ago for Christmas, and it was great. Haven't done one since, but I have a couple in the freezer that I need to cook sooner than later.

On fighting the stall, it just comes down to time. Did you put it in early enough to let it finish without a wrap/pan, or are you time crunched and need to get it done quicker. I think the end product is better if you don't wrap or put in a pan with foil, because cooking it unwrapped results in better bark, and I think when it's shredded and bits of bark are mixed in, it tastes better.

Man, now you have me thinking about the prime rib. Mine is technically a standing rib roast, but if I understand it correctly, the only difference is whether it's bone on or not. Kind of wish I had brought that up and cooked it this past weekend.

How do you do yours? If I recall, last time I made a rub out of some earthy herbs and probably a bit of liquid, that I made into a paste in a small food processor and rubbed that on before cooking.

How do you cook your prime rib? Do you put any kind of rub on it? Do you try and time it so it's ready when you plan to eat, or do you get it mostly done and then wrap and hold it until ready and then throw it back on? I only made it once and it was for my wife and I, so we just ate it when it was ready, we didn't have to hit a time, and then sliced up the remainder into portions and sealed the servings in a food saver and threw in the freezer. It was amazingly good heated back up.

Man, now you have me thinking about the prime rib. Mine is technically a standing rib roast, but if I understand it correctly, the only difference is whether it's bone on or not. Kind of wish I had brought that up and cooked it this past weekend.

How do you do yours? If I recall, last time I made a rub out of some earthy herbs and probably a bit of liquid, that I made into a paste in a small food processor and rubbed that on before cooking.

How do you cook your prime rib? Do you put any kind of rub on it? Do you try and time it so it's ready when you plan to eat, or do you get it mostly done and then wrap and hold it until ready and then throw it back on? I only made it once and it was for my wife and I, so we just ate it when it was ready, we didn't have to hit a time, and then sliced up the remainder into portions and sealed the servings in a food saver and threw in the freezer. It was amazingly good heated back up.
    With the prime rib I keep it simple, as the meat is so nice, crushed garlic rubbed on it, salt and pepper. I will throw some extra beef suet on it if the fat has been trimmed too much.

I will low and slow smoke it for 30 minutes to an hour to get smoke flavour into it. I’ll then finish it on a high temp to get a nice colour on it.

I have, once, got some horseradish plant and wrapped the prime rib in it to cook. When you pull it off that flavour is right through the meat…. Sooooo gooood. But you have to love horseradish..

And yes I time it to finish and rest, then right to dinner.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I'm pretty ****** good on my Traeger. Nbd. Except, I don't eat much beef, so aside from the occasional reverse seared steak, I keep it to pork, venison, and poultry. I'll drop some panties with ribs and pork tenderloin. Come at me.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

9. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Make sure to let us know
    Alright so here's the review. They were good but I need to tweak the recipe. We used 2 boxes of cheez-its. We melted 1 stick of butter, added a quarter cup of Worcestershire and a packet of Ranch and mixed those all up. Poured that over the crackers and then added some Meat Church Voodoo rub, then shook some dry dill over them and mixed that all around. Smoked at 200 for 1.5 hours on smoke level 7 on my Camp Chef stirring them occasionally. In hindsight I would do a lower smoke setting and use unsalted butter (there is plenty of salt in the other ingredients). Also I think an hour of smoking would have been plenty.

11. The Following User High Fived PatriotsGuy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotsGuy View Post
    Alright so here's the review. They were good but I need to tweak the recipe. We used 2 boxes of cheez-its. We melted 1 stick of butter, added a quarter cup of Worcestershire and a packet of Ranch and mixed those all up. Poured that over the crackers and then added some Meat Church Voodoo rub, then shook some dry dill over them and mixed that all around. Smoked at 200 for 1.5 hours on smoke level 7 on my Camp Chef stirring them occasionally. In hindsight I would do a lower smoke setting and use unsalted butter (there is plenty of salt in the other ingredients). Also I think an hour of smoking would have been plenty.
    Maybe I'll try that with my vegan, butternut squash, cheddar crackers (aka, non-wheat, non-cheese, cheez-its...)

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Maybe I'll try that with my vegan, butternut squash, cheddar crackers (aka, non-wheat, non-cheese, cheez-its...)
    I just threw up in my mouth a little…you used the word vegan in a pellet smoker thread!

15. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

I just threw up in my mouth a little…you used the word vegan in a pellet smoker thread!
    LOL, I'm allergic (technically intolerant) to milk protein, so have actually benefitted from the nauseating vegan craze!!! Yes, I'll take my vegan cheese alongside my pulled pork...

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

OK, I know back in the day there were multiple recipes for green chile. I never made any, but now I'm thinking about doing so, and wonder if adding a little smoke by doing on the pellet grill would make it even better. Anyone do green chile on the pellet grill?

LOL, I'm allergic (technically intolerant) to milk protein, so have actually benefitted from the nauseating vegan craze!!! Yes, I'll take my vegan cheese alongside my pulled pork...
    Haha. Fair enough…

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

OK, I know back in the day there were multiple recipes for green chile. I never made any, but now I'm thinking about doing so, and wonder if adding a little smoke by doing on the pellet grill would make it even better. Anyone do green chile on the pellet grill?
    I roast my chiles over a high fire before I do anything with them.

Otherwise, I've never tried smoke in that way. I'm not sure how well it would work.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    I roast my chiles over a high fire before I do anything with them.

Otherwise, I've never tried smoke in that way. I'm not sure how well it would work.
    They don't get the good "fire roast" on them on a pellet smoker like you can get from a true fire roast. You get a good flavor from them still, but not quite the same. I prefer fire roasting peppers and chiles.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

22. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information