Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season Preview- Offense

Default 2022 Season Preview- Offense

Training camp is just around the corner. Let me put this as simply as I can. After 6 years of suffering, it's time for the Broncos to start imposing their will on the NFL again. Before that process gets started in a week and a half, I thought I'd put together a season preview and break this team down group by group going into camp. Why? Because I'm bored and I'm excited to see this season start....and to go to camp again! Let's start with the offense.

QB-
    Russell Wilson is a future hall of fame quarterback and he's still in his prime. We have a new face of the franchise and a leader that's going to elevate the level of play of everyone around him. 10 years 9 pro bowls, 2 Super Bowls, 1 championship. He's done this without an offensive line, and with a coach that refused to build an offense around him. The result was Russell being sacked more than any QB in the modern era in his first 10 years. In fairness, I will say that he tends to hold on to the ball too long at times. We'll see if throwing more on first and second down can help with that tendency. If you've watched a Broncos game since Manning retired and have a pulse, I don't have to tell you how much of an upgrade the Broncos have made at the QB position.

Josh Johnson and Brett Rypien will battle for the backup position. With the new practice squad rules, I would expect one to be active on game day and one to stick on the practice squad. Teams are allowed up to 6 veterans on it regardless of the amount of years of experience. The fact is, this team's playoff hopes rest on Wilson's arm and legs. If he goes down for any length of time it could be another long season.

RB-
    The Broncos might have the best duo in the NFL. Javonte is widely considered a rising star around the league. Javonte might be the toughest back to bring down as well. On a per carry basis the statistics agree. He's a phenomenal young back. He's great in pass pro and has nice hands in the passing game. Expect him to be used more in that area. If he improves his vision at all, he's going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

Melvin Gordon is back much to the chagrin of many Broncos fans. That's sad, because he's a talented back with a nose for the end zone. He's found the end zone 10 times in each season with Denver. Doubters will point to his fumbles. He had exactly one more fumble than Javonte last season in the same amount of carries. They do seem more untimely, but I don't see it as as much of a problem as some do.

Mike Boone is a special teams ace and solid third option. He didn't get a chance to show his wares last season due to injury.

Andrew Beck is the designated FB and special teams stalwart. He should stick.

I expect Javonte to take a bigger role this season, but not as much as some might expect. I would expect closer to a 60/40 split between him and Gordon but time will tell. He certainly has the tools to be a 3 down back.

WR-
    Courtland Sutton is coming back armed with the new contract he signed last season. This is a guy that had 1112 yards receiving with Joe Flacco, Drew Lock and Brandon Allen throwing him the ball. A 1500+ yard season is not out of the question. Russ loves the deep ball and Hamler and Sutton should be the biggest benefactors of that. I expect Courtland to return to form.

Jerry Jeudy had more separation per route run last season than any receiver in the NFL. It's a crime that the ball didn't come his way more. Let's face it. Up to this point he has been a flat out bust. Is that because of Jeudy or because of horrible QB play and play calling? I think he breaks out this season in a big way.

Tim Patrick has just been steady regardless of the situation. He was rewarded with a new contract last season because of it. He might be the best 3rd receiver in the league.

KJ Hamler is coming off of a horrific injury. He not only tore his ACL...he dislocated his hip on the same play. The reports have been glowing in OTA's but I expect him to start the season on the PUP list. Let's not forget, he won't even be a year out from ACL surgery until October. Here's a video detailing the whole journey. It's a great story-

Kendall Hinton is a player that developed into a nice 4th receiver last season. It's going to be a heavy competition for the final 2-3 receiver spots. Special teams will play a huge role in it. Hinton may need to find his niche there to stick. He may also be a trade candidate.

Montrell Washington was drafted to be a kick returner. The Broncos WR coach actually discovered him on film while watching his dismantling of Florida. He pointed him out to the coach Stukes and they both fell in love with his talent. I firmly believe that the returner job is his to lose, not win. As long as he doesn't fumble that opportunity he's making the final roster.

Tyrie Cleveland made his mark on special teams last season. Here's what coach Stukes had to say about him:
    “There’s no secret that we want Tyrie to be a core special teams player,” Stukes said on June 14. “That isn’t my decision — that’s Mr. Paton and Coach [Nathaniel] Hackett’s decision. But obviously he’s a big part in our special teams here and what we want to do. The speed, the athleticism, the physicality, he brings all of that to our team. So we want him to be a core special teams player.” Based on that alone, I'd say he has a great shot at the final roster.

This group is deep and talented. Watch for more than one to break out this season. The big question is ,"Who will be the #1 in this offense?" Personally I don't think it matters. They should all have a better opportunity to show who they are. Going from the Shurmer offense to this one, they're probably going to feel like they just stepped out of a Volkswagen Bug and into a Lamborghini. The rest of the receivers on the roster will need to have an outstanding training camp and preseason to earn a spot. I expect a couple of them to make their way to the practice squad. A name to keep an eye out for is Travis Fulgham.

TE-
    With Noah Fant gone, Albert Okwuegbunam will have a chance to claim his spot as a starter. He's shown flashes of big time playmaking. He's also shown major issues with hanging on to the ball and blocking. Half of Broncos country seem to think he's a star in the making and the other half seem to think he's going to get overtaken by a rookie. I fall in with the second half.

When the Broncos were on the clock with in the third round, George Paton turned to Nathaniel Hackett and asked him what he thought of him. Coach was quick to make this statement- "He brings something that we don't have." I think they see this rookie as a complete tight end. Watching his college tape, his blocking wasn't great but it wasn't poor either. He has sure hands and plays faster than his 40 time would indicate. I think he'll be given every opportunity to win that starting spot.

Eric Tomlinson was signed in the offseason. Some call him a blocking TE. I call him an extra tackle playing the TE position. Either way, what you have is an outstanding blocker that brings absolutely no threat as a pass catcher. Look for him to be used in obvious running situations.

Eric Saubert was brought back from last season on a FA deal. He's a very good blocker and outstanding special teams player. I'm not sure how many TE's will be kept, but he should have a good shot to be around week 1.

The tight end group will be a fun one to watch in the preseason. Hackett likes to establish the run so look for blocking to be a major factor in who is chosen as the starter. I also think that this coaching staff will challenge Russ to be better throwing over the middle. Tight ends might play a larger role than people are expecting in the new offense.

T-
    Garett Bolles is one of 2 players that I see penned in as a starter going into the season along the offensive line. The wide zone scheme fits him to a tee. I expect him to return to his all pro form of 2 years ago. Russ likes to extend plays, so there might be an adjustment period of learning to hold his blocks for a longer period of time. I also expect a few fights from Bolles this year. He's designated himself as Russ's personal bodyguard. I don't expect anyone to take a cheap or late shot at Russ without a full dose of Bolles up in his grill shortly after.

Calvin Anderson will get first shot at the right tackle position with the current injury situation. He's stuck around on potential and has actually looked very good at times when given the chance. Is this the year that he goes from a guy with great potential to a starting tackle? We'll see. He has a shot, he's healthy, and his main competition is still out with injury. He's also got a clean slate with a new offensive coaching staff. We're about to find out what he's got.

Billy Turner came in via free agency and this staff knows him well. Most consider him to be the favorite to start at right tackle. His biggest advantage is his knowledge of the scheme. I'm not sold on the idea of the starting spot being his to lose. While he was incredibly versatile at Green Bay, his play was average at best. He's also been held out of OTA's due to his current injury. No one seems to be sure if he will be ready for the start of camp or not. The good news is that he can play every position along the line.

Tom Compton is the third option at right tackle. He's a very good run blocker. Pass blocking......not so much.

This group is the biggest question mark going into camp in my mind. I'm not sure that there's a good option for RT on the roster. I'm hoping that Calvin takes a big step forward this season and Bolles stays healthy. Outside of Bolles, I don't see quality or depth here. Paton said after the draft that they wanted to get a tackle, but the board just didn't fall right for them. There's a reason that they wanted a tackle in the draft. Let's cross our fingers with this group.

G-
    The other starter that I believe is penned in along the offensive line is Quinn Meinerz. Watching him play, I see a young star. He's big, he's nasty, he's athletic, and he plays to the echo of the whistle. He says that he dropped 10 pounds this offseason to help with the movement required for this scheme. He should be even more fun to watch.

Lloyd Cushenberry has started every game at center since he was drafted. Results have varied. Expect him to have more competition in camp this season. Is he a good fit for the new scheme? I'm not sure.

Dalton Risner has been put on the hot seat by the local media. I love that. I think he'll respond well. This is a contract year for him. I'd love to see him in orange and blue next season with a new contract.

Graham Glasgow is still recovering from injury. He reworked his contract and took a 5 million dollar paycut in January. He can compete at any of the interior line positions. If he can get healthy and get in camp I expect him to give Cush a run for his money.

Anyone else heard how great Netane Muti looks in OTA's? Maybe it's just me, but I think saying that a lineman looks good in OTA's is the equivalent of saying that a snow plow is looking great in the summer time. It may or may not be true. We'll find out when it's being used the way it's supposed to. Muti has been awful in pass pro during games. Not just awful. Laughably awful. I'm not buying the hype just yet.

Luke Wattenberg was drafted in the 5th round this year. The Broncos traded up for him. He's a good athlete with long arms and quick feet. He's listed as a center, but he started more games in college at left guard. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at all 3 interior line spots in the preseason.

Ben Braden was signed in free agency. He knows the scheme and the coaches. This move looked like veteran depth to me. I don't expect him to have a real shot at starting, barring injuries.

There seems to be a good combination of quality and depth in this group. One less preseason game is going to make it tougher on this staff to figure out who the best 5 are, and to get them in synch in the new blocking scheme.

Overall, this offense is loaded. The Broncos didn't win a game last season when the opposing team scored more than 16 points. That's going to change. Once this team gets the new offense down and gets in synch, I expect teams to need 25 or more to win most games. Let the Russell Wilson, Nathaniel Hackett era begin!

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Excellent stuff Ziggy. I agree with literally everything that you have to say other than the skepticism about Muti. It was a guy that many analysts said could have been a day to pick possibly even as high as the second had he not had his injury history. I felt like a lot of the speculation that he would be cut was a little bit lazy based on the fact that he showed fantastic athleticism in college. Combine that with his power and nasty demeanor and I think he has a fantastic chance to stick plus he's on a cheap rookie deal.

I like the break down….agree across the board. But I’ll add that I would like to see Boone get some touches…I’m in the camp of I don’t like Gordon but can’t break down a reason why….maybe it’s because I like Williams so much more? I dunno..

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiemac87 View Post
    I like the break down….agree across the board. But I’ll add that I would like to see Boone get some touches…I’m in the camp of I don’t like Gordon but can’t break down a reason why….maybe it’s because I like Williams so much more? I dunno..
    All Gordon does is score. What's not to like?
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Canmore View Post
    All Gordon does is score. What's not to like?
    I never said it was a rational dislike….

6. The Following User High Fived Eddiemac87 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I disagree on a couple things. Bolles is going to be the LT because there isn't anyone else but he isn't a good LT. Expect a shit ton of penalties from him this year. His steadying hand in Munchack is gone. We are going to see a volatile Bolles and the return to his stupid shit. This is a LT that had one good year since he was drafted and it was during a year when they literally stopped calling penalties on OT's. Cush will Lose his job IMO as well, he isn't a very good player. I don't think we have a starting RT on the roster still at all. I think our OL wont be very good this year outside maybe Quinn and Dalton who I do think will return to form in this scheme. Luckily we have a QB used to very below avg play so we should get by with what will most likely be mediocre line play as a whole.

The other disagreement I have is about Jeudy. He is not a good player and yes he has many routes where he gets separation by the end of the route, but truly watch his wasted footwork and timing off the line, Good Cb's literally smack him and he is done. I think even shurmur realized this and that's how the Jet sweep thing came to be to help him off the line into space. He IMO is a nightmare player for any QB that loves timing and fast play. I will concede however, Russ does hold the ball so that may work out for Jeudy provided he can catch the rifle from Russ. it was only a year ago where he was adamant about how catchable a ball Teddy throws ......He does like to throw his Qb's under the bus and is still a immature tool. Its year 3 his make or break though so I guess we will see. If he cant do it with Russ he is gonna be the next 1st rd bust WR.....

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

If Jeudy can’t make it happen with Russ I doubt he’s On the team a lot longer. I think he’s going to have a career year, especially with all the additional work they’ve been putting in. If anyone can reach a WR and tell them what they need if they want the ball in their hands it’s an eventual HOF QB

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    If Jeudy can’t make it happen with Russ I doubt he’s On the team a lot longer. I think he’s going to have a career year, especially with all the additional work they’ve been putting in. If anyone can reach a WR and tell them what they need if they want the ball in their hands it’s an eventual HOF QB
    Fair enough but lets also remember Russ worst throws are intermediate routes, Jeudy's best chance at success so that will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Fair enough but lets also remember Russ worst throws are intermediate routes, Jeudy's best chance at success so that will be interesting to see.
    Russ doesn’t have anything worst about him. Smh idk why people took that garbage shit seattle fans started saying once he was no longer a Seahawks and got people like yourself running with it

12. The Following User High Fived Jeudy10Hamler1 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    I disagree that he has issues with intermediate throws, struggles or anything else. He may prefer deep throws or sideline throws, but he does not have issues there.

Peyton always said his favorite throws were sideline throws because you dont have to worry about anything on that side. Which is why he threw so many of those, but he never had issues with the middle. Russel Wilson is the exact same.

Its the same thing for the "he doesnt throw to TEs". This is crap. He didnt throw a ton to middle because they didnt have guys that could get open. He threw a ton to TEs when he had good ones. They have had shit since. Just DK and Ty. I believe Sutton is better than DK. I think JJ has potential to be as good as Ty, I dont think he will (TY has amazing hands), but Timmy P does too. KJ may replace the TY role, even though KJ will have his own packages.

I just do not buy Russell Wilson having any issues here. EVERYTHING is an upgrade here. OLine. WR. TE. RB. Coach. SCHEME. DEFENSE. and we know what to do with HOF QBs here in Denver.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeudy10Hamler1 View Post
    Russ doesn’t have anything worst about him. Smh idk why people took that garbage shit seattle fans started saying once he was no longer a Seahawks and got people like yourself running with it

I agree 10000000billion %!

They are so much the scorned bitter Ex. Russel was literally the #1 QB in the NFL just before Covid.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

16. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

In fact, I think this so much that I actually put a lot of money down on him being the MVP. Depending upon what I see from Hacketts scheme in Camp I may add a few hundred to that.

As we are all finding out, winning is everything to him. He is not going to be here like Flacco or Keesum and just be the QB. He is going to be here to win it all. He is going to take issue with the league and such saying he is washed. The seahawks retained all of his socials that he spent all that time building up, so he has to start over on those. So he is re-building his brand. We have the best defense in the division (aside from chargers on paper). We have the best offensive tools in the division and I believe an easier schedule. So he does not have to play hero ball. He can do his thing and Rain Unlimmmmmmmited W's. Its about winning and thats all he is about. I do not see any other QB that has as much to prove or on the line, in as good of a situation. If I like the scheme enough in camp, I am going to put a few hundred more on him while he is +1400
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

18. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Yes, Jeudy next Lelie. And to think who they passed on for him. Ouch.

O-line I think will be better just with Wilson and his ability to move in the pocket and evade pressure. This can make an oline look better and really is a requirement in today's NFL. There's continuity and bodies there, so hopefully they are middle of the pack. Good run blocking unit however. I think we are going to run a lot this year so am not expecting star wars numbers from wilson and the wrs. Efficiency will be the key.

20. The Following User High Fived Rosebus For This Post:

Sit on big leads, turn the defense loose. That's my dream scenario.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rosebus For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I disagree that he has issues with intermediate throws, struggles or anything else. He may prefer deep throws or sideline throws, but he does not have issues there.

Peyton always said his favorite throws were sideline throws because you dont have to worry about anything on that side. Which is why he threw so many of those, but he never had issues with the middle. Russel Wilson is the exact same.

Its the same thing for the "he doesnt throw to TEs". This is crap. He didnt throw a ton to middle because they didnt have guys that could get open. He threw a ton to TEs when he had good ones. They have had shit since. Just DK and Ty. I believe Sutton is better than DK. I think JJ has potential to be as good as Ty, I dont think he will (TY has amazing hands), but Timmy P does too. KJ may replace the TY role, even though KJ will have his own packages.

I just do not buy Russell Wilson having any issues here. EVERYTHING is an upgrade here. OLine. WR. TE. RB. Coach. SCHEME. DEFENSE. and we know what to do with HOF QBs here in Denver.
    Wilson can throw any route. I've watched a lot of Russell Wilson living in Oregon as much as I have recently. We'll be fine.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

24. The Following User High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information