Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Proposed MLB Rule Changes To Speed Up Games

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

The only thing I would change is forcing batters to stay in the box. I get tired of watching them step out and adjust their gloves, etc. Just stop already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Because baseball is and always has been a marathon. The teams that are able to sustain that marathon and win a playoff spot on the last day of the season would probably argue against a shorter season.

Plus, it would be a hard transition at this point because so many players have performance clauses in their contracts. With a shorter season, those metrics would be harder to reach and existing contracts would have to be re-written.
    Contacts being rewritten isn't my problem as a fan. They could figure all that stuff out. I don't think it would be that hard. Say they shorten the season by 10%. All the incentive benchmarks get shortened by 10% as well. Doesn't seem too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    That would slow the game down. More walks.
    It would give more action, though. More offense. Boom! Boom!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Contacts being rewritten isn't my problem as a fan. They could figure all that stuff out. I don't think it would be that hard. Say they shorten the season by 10%. All the incentive benchmarks get shortened by 10% as well. Doesn't seem too difficult.
    But your argument was that scaling back the season, if it’s 10 percent that’s 16 games to 148.

Does that really fix the problem you spoke to? Does game 45 of 148 have any more viewership attraction than game 52 of 162?

That doesn’t check out to me as a fix to the problem you have. I don’t have an answer to that question, except to say baseball isn’t pairing down their season to 82 games to put it on par with NBA. That’s just not happening.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Why any of this, though? I don’t want a compromise on this. It’s dumb.
    It alleviates the problem someone getting shabizzled while also stopping the infinite breaks and teams from proverbially shortening the game, not in duration, but in innings. It's like you have all these specialized pitchers and you just take the offense out of it. Baseball needs more offense, not less.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don’t know how baseball fixes this. Even going back to 154 games, ala the 1900s-1960s, doesn’t fix that feeling for a casual fan.
    I'd cut it by 1/3. 4 month regular season as opposed to 6, ala the NFL. I realize that will likely never happen, but that's what I would do. Fwiw I think the NBA should be the same. I think it would be great for each major sports league to kinda have their own exclusive hold on a part of the calendar. Give the NBA January-April, with playoffs in May (they need to shorten the shit out of their playoffs), baseball gets May-August with playoffs in September, then football gets September-December with playoffs in January. This is obviously a lot of pie in the sky stuff that would never happen, but I just don't think a sports regular season needs to last more than 4 months and playoffs shouldn't be more than a month. Tighten these things up and make the individual games mean more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    It alleviates the problem someone getting shabizzled while also stopping the infinite breaks and teams from proverbially shortening the game, not in duration, but in innings. It's like you have all these specialized pitchers and you just take the offense out of it. Baseball needs more offense, not less.
    The league set a record for home runs in a season in 2017. Offense isn’t down.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

The worst is watching a pitcher throw a 'pick off' as they stall and stall and stall.

The league set a record for home runs in a season in 2017. Offense isn’t down.
    There's more to offense than just homers - and there were issues with juiced balls, too. Honestly we should just bring steroids back into the game.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'd cut it by 1/3. 4 month regular season as opposed to 6, ala the NFL. I realize that will likely never happen, but that's what I would do. Fwiw I think the NBA should be the same. I think it would be great for each major sports league to kinda have their own exclusive hold on a part of the calendar. Give the NBA January-April, with playoffs in May (they need to shorten the shit out of their playoffs), baseball gets May-August with playoffs in September, then football gets September-December with playoffs in January. This is obviously a lot of pie in the sky stuff that would never happen, but I just don't think a sports regular season needs to last more than 4 months and playoffs shouldn't be more than a month. Tighten these things up and make the individual games mean more.
    Yeah, the NBA season is ridiculous. I only bother to watch the playoffs. Any team that's any good makes the playoffs. If they can't make the playoffs (*cough*Lakers*cough*) why should I care about them?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    The only thing I would change is forcing batters to stay in the box. I get tired of watching them step out and adjust their gloves, etc. Just stop already.
    It adds to the anticipation. Like foreplay.

13. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    There's more to offense than just homers - and there were issues with juiced balls, too. Honestly we should just bring steroids back into the game.

Yeah. Honestly, I'd rather see less homers and more balls in play. #nohomo

15. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default MLB tweaks some rules now, more coming in '20

A single trade deadline, an All-Star Game election day and a million-dollar bonus for the Home Run Derby winner will be implemented in 2019 -- and a three-batter minimum for pitchers and roster expansion will happen in 2020 -- as part of a deal between Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association.

Spurred by labor relations discord amid a second consecutive free-agent market that has left players disappointed, the mid-collective-bargaining-agreement negotiations represent a step forward between two sides that had squabbled privately and publicly.

Perhaps the most important part of the deal isn't the elimination of August trades, the tweaking of All-Star Game starter selections, the incentives for stars to participate in the derby, the elimination of one-out relievers or the addition of a 26th player next year. It's the provision that the sides will begin discussing labor issues imminently, far earlier than they typically would with a CBA that doesn't expire until December 2021.
    rest - http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...more-coming-20

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It adds to the anticipation. Like foreplay.
    I don't like foreplay either!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information