Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parents--any of you forced your kids to learn typing early?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Default Parents--any of you forced your kids to learn typing early?

I'm forcing my son to learn keyboard typing. He's 8 1/2. Have any of you done this? This is an experiment for me, but I think it's a good idea. I wondered if anyone has an anecdote that might confirm my gut or dissuade me from continuing. So far there has been significant progress (he's maybe a 6 wpm typist now, full keyboard, no shift, no numbers), but he keeps improving. His handwriting is awful. Practicing typing is not something he's jumping up and down to drill on, but I've been holding him to it. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I believe my two grade school kids are taking it at school, according to my wife. They're 8 and 10.

I like what you're doing here(just in this instance to be clear). I believe it's an essential skill for high school and beyond. I couldn't imagine doing my job if I didn't know how to type.

How many words per minute do you type?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I believe my two grade school kids are taking it at school, according to my wife. They're 8 and 10.

I like what you're doing here(just in this instance to be clear). I believe it's an essential skill for high school and beyond. I couldn't imagine doing my job if I didn't know how to type.

How many words per minute do you type?
    I'm 70-72 wpm.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm 70-72 wpm.
    That's pretty fast. I'm 60ish

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

That's about the same. My thinking is the bottleneck.

Woah. Just had a thought. What if I could just communicate my thoughts as quickly as they are formed in my head? There has to be a way to do this. Like...this would change everything.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Kids are required to take a Keyboarding class here to get passed through.

Typing and even more importantly using technology is an essential skill. But with cell phones and text messaging and internet gaming I think it's something that a lot of kids already know how to do without having taken a class on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Kids are required to take a Keyboarding class here to get passed through.

Typing and even more importantly using technology is an essential skill. But with cell phones and text messaging and internet gaming I think it's something that a lot of kids already know how to do without having taken a class on it.
    High school, right?

Plus, keyboarding and thumb-boarding are markedly different. As I'm sure you have noticed, plenty of kids can operate their phones well enough, but can't type for shit.

So is that a state / district / school specific requirement?

My hands don't always work the way I want them to. I don't think I have arthritis...hopefully I'm not in denial. I know the fifth metacarpal I broke twice doesn't work the way it should

Not sure what happened here. I mean to quote Hawg.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

My hands don't always work the way I want them to. I don't think I have arthritis...hopefully I'm not in denial. I know the fifth metacarpal I broke twice doesn't work the way it should

Not sure what happened here. I mean to quote Hawg.
    idk man. Maybe yoga will help? Or tai-chi? A new motorcycle?

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    High school, right?

Plus, keyboarding and thumb-boarding are markedly different. As I'm sure you have noticed, plenty of kids can operate their phones well enough, but can't type for shit.

So is that a state / district / school specific requirement?
    Keyboarding is offered in 7th and 8th grade at my school and most kids take it as an elective during that time (because there aren't many elective choices). If you don't take it, I think you can take it in high school. But once you get in high school I think you have to take 1 year of a computer science related class, which is usually related to business and using word and excel and all of that.

I'm not sure if the same is true throughout Oklahoma or not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    Keyboarding is offered in 7th and 8th grade at my school and most kids take it as an elective during that time (because there aren't many elective choices). If you don't take it, I think you can take it in high school. But once you get in high school I think you have to take 1 year of a computer science related class, which is usually related to business and using word and excel and all of that.

I'm not sure if the same is true throughout Oklahoma or not.
    I was shocked by how few high school students, among those in my classes, who could actually type with proficiency. What you describe sounds similar to CO in terms of curriculum. We are talking good high schools, too.

12. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

"The need to push, but not too far." The age old dilemma of anyone who has tried to train up children. I’ve never been a parent, but I’ve been a volunteer teach/tutor, so I know that it’s a tricky assessment to make. All’s I’ll say is this is case by case decision that should be joint assessment with your wife & son’s teacher.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

14. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

As long as it is fun for them, with play breaks (with you) and rewards for improvements, then I think it is quite a good idea.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    "The need to push, but not too far." .
    Yeah, take them out of comfort, into stretch, but never into panic.

That's the best state for the brain to learn, feeling slightly out of your depth in a known safe environment

17. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Not forcing, but my 8 year old likes to play games on my computer sometimes and I am showing him how to use the keyboard to unlock the screen, search for titles, etc. As a matter of fact I'd say he WANTS to learn the computer and I am happy to oblige. I installed a typing instructor extension on Google chrome and he loves playing that game. Little moron doesn't even know he is learning useful skills. If anyone is curious and uses the Chrome browser, it's called Type Scout: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...ppjjeamj?hl=en

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information